Grants:APG/Proposals/2018-2019 round 1/Wikimedia Nederland/Proposal form
- 1 Overview
- 2 Financials: current year
- 3 Programs: upcoming year's annual plan
- 4 Staff and contractors: upcoming year's annual plan
- 5 Financials: upcoming year
- 6 Verification and signature
- 1. In order to support community review, please provide a brief description of your organization's work in the upcoming funding period.
The WMNL strategy 2017-2020 defines our focus for the coming years. To implement our mission in the best possible way, Wikimedia Nederland wants to do equal justice to the interests of editors, partner institutes and readers:
- We want to position ourselves as an intermediary between Dutch institutions in possession of knowledge and collections, and knowledge users worldwide. Our priority will be to build capacity in the GLAM and education sectors to contribute to the Wikimedia projects. We will also work on giving as diverse a groups of individuals as possible the tools, opportunity and motivation to contribute in the Wikimedia movement.
- The primary focus is making knowledge held in the Netherlands, or knowledge relevant for the Netherlands, freely available.
The Wikimedia movement Strategic Direction 2030 reinforces our choice to focus on diversity within the movement, and on working to free content that is relevant for Wikimedians and readers of the Wikimedia projects worldwide, not just in the Netherlands.
We will also use the appeal of, and the general sympathy for, Wikipedia to make important stakeholders and the general public more aware of the importance of the wider topic of free knowledge.
The following programs and activities are comntinued and/or changed in 2019:
- We maintain the programs Community and Open Content.
- The programme Communication will be discontinued. Regular communications will be integrated into Operations.
- We will introduce a program Outreach, comprising all activities aimed at reaching out to groups not yet aware of or involved in the Wikimedia projects.
- 2. Name, fiscal year, and funding period.
- Legal name of organization: Vereniging Wikimedia Nederland
- Organization's fiscal year: 01/01-12/31
- 12-month funding period requested: 01/01/19 - 12/31/19
- Currency requested: Euro
- Name of primary contact: Sandra Rientjes
- 3. Amount requested.
|Total expenses for the upcoming year||444,275||501,990|
|APG funding requested for the upcoming year||340,000||384,169|
|Amount of funding received from WMF for the current year||340,000||384,169|
- 4. How does your organization know what community members and contributors to online projects need or want? Does your organization conduct needs assessments or consult the contributors and volunteers most involved with its work?
- Wikimedia Nederland developed its plans in consultation with the community. We organised brainstorming meetings and on-wiki discussions for the annual plan 2018. We invited the community to participate in these discussions via announcements in the various village pumps and via the mailinglists.
- Throughout the year, we remain in contact with the community via irc, the WMNL-wiki and the newsletter. A staffmember and a board member are always present at the WikiSaturdays, when community members come to the WMNL office.
- 5. Please provide a link to your organization's strategic plan, and a link to your separate annual plans for the current and upcoming funding periods if you have them.
Financials: current year
Financials for the current funding period Revenues or expenses Planned (budgeted) Actual, until one month before the proposal due date Projected Currency requested US dollars Currency requested US dollars Currency requested US dollars Revenues (from all sources) 458,688 518,276 442,378 499,445 439,888 497,033 Expenses 458,688 518,276 316,938 357,823 443,000 500,550
Table 2 notes: In 2017, WMNL received a donation of €100,000 from a private grantmaker. This has been used to set up a designated reserve for the period 2017 - 2019.
Programs: upcoming year's annual plan
- Participants: The number of people who attend your events, programs or activities, either in person or virtually. This definition does not include people organizing activities, social media followers, donors, or others not participating directly.
- Newly registered: The number of participants that create new accounts on a Wikimedia project. These include users who register up to two weeks before the start of the event.
- Content pages: A content page is an article on Wikipedia, an item on Wikidata, a content page on Wikisource, an entry on Wiktionary, and a media file on Commons, etc. This metric captures the total number of content pages created or improved across all Wikimedia projects.
- other languages WP + WS: Number of items added or improved on other language versions (i.e. non-Dutch) of Wikipedia and Wikisource
- Retention: Number of people who registered as editors during a WMNL-activity and are still active three months after the activity was completed
Program Participants Newly registered Content pages other languages WP + WS Retention Community 250 175 2000 500 20 Free Content 500 25 38000 3000 0 Outreach 1500 0 0 0 0 TOTAL FOR ALL PROGRAMS 2250 200 40000 3500 20
Table 3 notes:
- At least 15% of the results will be related to activities under Gendergap and Netherlands and the World.
- This table presents the results WMNL intends to achieve in 2019. However, these metrics are not the only measure by which WMNL determines whether activities or donations were successful and/or should be continued. For example, the difference between training a few editors who contribute high-quality content versus training a large group that contributes only once in a while is not expressed in any of these metrics. Other examples include the quality of added content and community diversity and health. Such non-metrics are not visible in the table below, but they are an integral part of the story that WMNL intends to tell in its annual report and its outreach efforts in general. These non-metrics are also fundamental for WMNL’s long-term strategy to be an active intermediary between Dutch GLAM institutions and Wikimedia-users.
Staff and contractors: upcoming year's annual plan
- 1. Please describe your organization's staffing plan or strategy here, and provide a link to your organization's staffing plan or organogram if you have one.
- 2. List of staff by department or function.
- You can use this table (or substitute your own list) to show us the number of FTEs (fulltime equivalents) for each department or function, where one person working at 100% time would be counted as 1.0. We need this information about the total number of staff (FTEs) you plan to have by the end of the current funding period, and staff you plan to have by the end of the upcoming funding period.
FTEs Department or function End of current funding period End of upcoming funding period Explanation of changes executive director 1 1 - project coordinator 1.4 1.4 - communications 0.5 0.5 - eventorganising and community support 0.5 0.5 - office management 0.5 0.5 - Total (should equal the sum of the rows): 3.9 3.9 -
Table 4 notes or explanation of significant changes:
- 3. How much does your organization plan to spend on staff by the end of the current funding period, in currency requested and US dollars?
€ 240,000 (USD 271,178)
- 4. How much does your organization plan to spend on staff by the end of the upcoming funding period, in currency requested and US dollars?
€ 244,608 (USD 276,385)
Financials: upcoming year
Detailed budget: upcoming year
Revenues: upcoming year
Anticipated revenues for the upcoming funding period Revenue source Currency requested US dollars Status (e.g. guaranteed, application)
APG 340,000 384,169 requested
donations 30,000 33,897
membership fees 5,000 5,649 guaranteed, barring unexpected change in membership numbers
grants and sponsorships 39,275 44,377
withdrawal from designated reserve 30,000 33,897 In 2017, WMNL received a donation of €100,000 from a private grantmaker. This has been used to set up a designated reserve for the period 2017 - 2019.
Total revenues (should equal the sum of the rows): 444,275 501,990 -
Table 5 notes: If your organization has significant funding other than FDC funds, please note how those funds will be used.
Operating reserves: current and upcoming years
Please note that there is a policy that places restrictions on how much FDC funding your organization can use to build its operating reserves. If you would like to use FDC funding to for your organization's reserves, you must note that here. You will not be able to decide to allocate FDC funding from this grant to your reserves at a later date.
- 1. What is your plan for maintaining, building, or spending your reserves in the current year and the upcoming funding period? Please use the table below to show the amounts in your reserves at the beginning, year-to-date, and end of your current year, and the amount you plan to have in your reserves by the end of the upcoming funding period.
Year Year start Year start (US) Year-to-date Year-to-date (US) Year end Year end (US) Current year (e.g. 2017) 210,552 $237,713 - - 180,000* $203,220 Upcoming year (e.g. 2018) - - - - 150,000* $169,486
- The total reserve contains a designated reserve of (currently) €79,282. This was part of a €100,000 donation received in 2017. It is earmarked for spending over three years. Hence the gradual reduction of the total reserve over 2018 and 2019.
- 2. How much FDC funding is your organization requesting to add to your reserves in the upcoming funding period? If you are not requesting any FDC funding to add to your reserves in the upcoming funding period, you can write zero.
Expenses: upcoming year's annual plan
- 1. Expenses by program (excludes staff and operations).
Program Currency requested US dollars Community 45,700 51,636 Free content 33,250 37,569 Outreach 27,200 30,733 Total program expenses (should equal the sum of the rows) 106,150 119,939
Table 7 notes: If your organization has significant funding designated for specific programs (e.g. a restricted grant), please make a note of that here.
- The previous programma Communication is now part of Operations.
- 2. Total expenses. Please use this table to summarize your organization's total expenses overall.
Expense type Currency requested US dollars Program expenses (total from Table 7, excludes staff) 113,650 128,414 Operations (excludes staff and programs) 93,517 105,665 Upcoming staff total expenses (from Table 4) 244,608 276,385 Total expenses (should equal the sum of the rows) 444,275 501,990
Table 8 notes:
Breakdown of staff costs per programme
|Programme community||€ 31,231|
|Programme free content||€ 69,591|
|Programme Outreach||€ 28,223|
Verification and signature
Please enter "yes" or "no" for the verification below.
- The term “political or legislative activities” includes any activities relating to political campaigns or candidates (including the contribution of funds and the publication of position statements relating to political campaigns or candidates); voter registration activities; meetings with or submissions and petitions to government executives, ministers, officers or agencies on political or policy issues; and any other activities seeking government intervention or policy implementation (like “lobbying”), whether directed toward the government or the community or public at large. General operating support through the FDC may not be used to cover political and legislative activities, although you may make a separate grant agreement with the WMF for these purposes.
I verify that no funds from the Wikimedia Foundation will be used
for political or legislative activities except as permitted by a grant agreement
Please sign below to complete this proposal form.
- IMPORTANT. Please do not make any changes to this proposal form after the proposal submission deadline for this round. If a change that is essential to an understanding of your organization's proposal is needed, please request the change on the discussion page of this form so it may be reviewed by FDC staff. Once submitted, complete and valid proposal forms submitted on time by eligible organizations will be considered unless an organization withdraws its application in writing or fails to remain eligible for the duration of the FDC process.