Did you meet your goals? Are you happy with how the project went?
The overall goal of improving the quality of Commons and the italian Wikiversity, Wikipedia, Wikisource, specifically historical content, was not met.
Almost all the activities were fragmented but one long-term goal, a better coordination of users interested in the topic, was met. The goal of networking was in fact quite successful. This will make possible to access the expert in the filed with a better coordination. The social media accounts of the new WikiClassics User Group (specifically Twitter), the involvement of people of the academia in the Wiki Loves Classics competition and the feedback for out frst on-line edit-a-thon are very good signs that the goal will be met in the nex years. It was not a favorable series of situation, but the long-term strategy is solid.
Please report on your original project targets.
All the small event led to long-term results.
- The Wiki Loves Monuments event in September 2017 ended up with User:Alexmar983 being more involved to the regional competition, and in 2018 thanks to such coordination the region of Tuscany jumped from 1000 to 11000 files. It became the leading region in Italy with almost 38% of the national upload and as a results we also introduced with one of the user involved, User:Giaccai, a new series of wikidata literacy event for cultural heritage that were even presented to another chapter in Portugal in June 2019 at the Wikidata Days 2019
- The event in Sicily was the first one organized in a school in such region. The original plan was to fly there in the spring to go further but because of the personal situation User:Alexmar983 could not do so. It was however a useful mean to break the ice. Sicily is one of the most populated region in Italy and never had an organized activity in a school. The categorization system was created for the first time.
- In May 2018 I attended the Certamen in Ponticulo Herae https://iltirreno.gelocal.it/pontedera/cronaca/2018/04/30/news/il-6-maggio-il-certamen-in-ponticulo-herae-e-l-agon-di-greco-1.16779123 in Pontedera at the local classical high school. In June when the grant was over I helped to organize an event in the same classical high school in Pontedera https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progetto:Coordinamento/Scuole/XXVAprilePontedera it was good because the new guy who wanted to become regional coordinator of Tuscany was there so he could learn, so it was another fruitful event on the long term. Another event in a classical high school was finally completed in June 2019.
- A possible third event in Basilicata was never done but the person Alexmar983 put in contact there with WMI was involved in more activities, so this can be also something partially catalyzed by this grant on the long term, see here
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
Projects do not always go according to plan. Sharing what you learned can help you and others plan similar projects in the future. Help the movement learn from your experience by answering the following questions:
- What worked well?
The potential of the topic to catalyze results was clear. The need of cross-platform coordination emerged so strongly, we ended up creating a new user group as a spin off. The group is active, and one of his first accomplishment is the social media communication, with a actively growing Twitter account that has been used to encourage mostly wikidata literacy.
- What did not work so well?
Engaging the Italian-speaking community. The potential emerged clearly on other communities, as proven at the end of the grant. It could have been more effective on a different community.
Plus, the people nvolved had contact in the field but were not directly invovled in that moment.
- What would you do differently next time?
The grant was written to help a user to build a project, the grantee found himself progressively more involved than originally planned. If there is a lesson is that grant should be requested only when all the people involved are clearly motivated. We had a plan B on some aspects, but many personal circumstances could not be imagined at the beginning of the grant. Plan B can be better prepared if the goals are more focused.
Grant funds spent
Please describe how much grant money you spent for approved expenses, and tell us what you spent it on.
Note: It was difficult to complete this section slowing down the whole process because the receipts were difficult to find. I am sorry, I usually take everything intoa ccount in folder but the time was so critical they ended up in three different places. Half of them was where they weere supposed to be in August 2019, the missing ones were finally found at the beginning of January and on January, 16th.
- 2017-05, Pontedera: presentation of grant at Museo Piaggio to AICC members and high school students, brief introductions to Wikimedia Commons. Cost: 0.00 EUR
- 2017-09-06, Pontedera: presentation at Villa Crastan of Wikimedia Commons and Wiki Loves Monument 2017, including a formal invitation of the local citizenship, two expert wikimedians as teacher and a council member. (main organizers: User:NC51 and User:Kaspo) More than 120 people attended. Cost: 330.30 €.
- 60 envelopes: 3.00 €
- 60 stamps: 57.00 €
- 19 photos 20x30 cm for exhibition: 40.71 €
- A0 poster: 18.30 €
- dishware 5.22 €
- beverages 10.84 €
- food 12.59 €
- Train ticket of Francesco Bini: 13,80 €
- 2017-09-24 and 2017-09-30: presentation of WLM and wiki-excursions in Lajatico and Montopoli Val d'Arno, two town close to Pontedera. Cost: 0.00 EUR.
- 2017-09-29, Messina: first lesson at a local high school. Cost:69.60 € (*)
- Regional train tickets: 12,80 € (29/09(2017 Palermo-Messina, Trenitalia train n. 3776) + 12,80 € (30/09/2017 Messina-Palermo, Trenitalia train n. 3775)
- Hotel Touring, 44.00 €
- Total: 69.60 €
- (*) Michele Sebastiano Ferulla did not ask for reimbursement for his small trip
- 2017-09-14: first lesson at computer in Pontedera, centro poliedro. Cost: 20.00 €
- 2017-09-15, Pisa, Scottish pub: Presentation to the grant during the 17th Wikipedia birthday. Cost: 50.00 €
- 2018-04-15: Meeting in Chiavari with local AICC User:Mizardellorsa. I could not attend because of a bad mouth infection, so i did not spend anything. We created some contact for the future in any case. Cost: 0.00 €
- 2018-05-14: Unione Valdera, Wikisource meeting.
- 271.40 EUR room rental the whole day.
- train ticket 2.60*2 EUR for expert wikidata use Epìdosis, 48.50+2.60+34.90+2.60 € for Camelia.Boban, expert Wikidonne, 6.90*2 € for Susanna Giaccai, expert Wikisource. Cost for travel 107.60 €
- Cost for lunch: 26.00 €, cost for snack 4.29 €
Do you have any remaining grant funds? Yes.
The main problems are the missing receipt. Currently it can only be proved
- Messina: 72.60 EUR
- Pontedera (May 2018):
The receipts of the Pontedera event were carefully filed, I remember that, they might have been lost by mistake when i was not at home but in some other cases is one person that never gave such receipts to me although (s)he got the money in advance. I will never trust people on this matter again.
Anything else you want to share about your project?
I did not send any message to the general mailing list but all the current members of the WikiClassics User Group should be aware this grant, it was always cited. I will link this report in the talk page.
It's surprigly because it looks terribly mismanaged but in realty it gave very solid long-term results. There were two options in that moment, taking the best out of the situation on the long term or limit the activities and close it as soon as possible. Despite the money that might not be reimboursed, the second one was the best option for the wikimedia community.
I am perfectly aware grant are supposed to prove money are well-spent and long-term results are more difficult and subtle to prove but taking all these times to find the missing receipts actually help t prove that the long-term results are concrete. So if on the short term for a donor this might not look optimal, on the long term for the community I hope that users creating content should be satisfied.
I will now as discussed [LINK ] here my a requets to allocate this funding for the current project of. it might not be accepted but it's worth the effort.