Grants:IdeaLab/Debates on facts given in Inspire Campaign mass message
What is the problem you're trying to solve?
The term "Gender gap" is mostly used in the singular. It is taken to refer to a gap between participation rates and content imbalances in a female / male ratio only. However,
- firstly, genders do not only come in this one binary (e.g., the highest court in India has recently acknowledged a third gender, so using "gender gap" in the singular only is not even legally correct any longer),
- secondly, the perception of facts relating to "gender gap" may differ by type of Wikimedia project, and,
- thirdly, by language version.
What is your solution?
At the start of the Inspire Campaign, a mass message was sent to a large number of Wikimedia project pages in order to inform about the campaign's aims, supplementing the banner text. In some instances, the facts given in the mass message and the campaign's issues in general were debated; example 1, example 2.
Analyse these debates in their context as well as in comparison to data from other cultures to find out more about the diversity in opinion about what behaviour or concepts constitute gender gaps.
Use reactions to this campaign as a certain point in time, and take another snapshot when the next campaign is started.
- Data from different cultures (different languages as well as Wikimedia projects), e.g., if a reduction to gender binaries was challenged
- A more solid (= diversified) basis for a next campaign to close any kind of gender gaps
- A well-balanced multilingual team who have come together to analyse the multilanguage data and who wish to work on this more longterm
- Volunteer This idea could produce a great conference meeting. I could help in organizing the debate in Macedonia Violetova (talk) 09:37, 13 March 2015 (UTC)
- Researcher I will find and share informations about this for the german language version. FCT Berlin • =>?! • 17:56, 27 March 2015 (UTC)
- I like the multicultural aspects and underlying theme but I think this needs scoping. Jodi.a.schneider (talk) 20:01, 26 March 2015 (UTC)
- For noting the multicultural aspects of grants, I like this idea already.--AldNonymousBicara? 21:22, 26 March 2015 (UTC)
- In Berlin there is a conference which named "Inter...what?". Unfortunately I´m not in Berlin at the conferencetime, but I find this an important theme in Wikipedia also. FCT Berlin • =>?! • 17:53, 27 March 2015 (UTC)
Expand your idea
Do you want to submit your idea for funding from the Wikimedia Foundation?