Purpose and background
Why request a budget change: We know that plans and circumstances sometimes change after your grant submission has been approved. We understand that grantees often have a good reason to want changes to their budgets approved. Most significant changes to your project budget will need to be approved by WMF in advance.
When to request a budget change: Please request approval for a budget change before you spend your funds in a way that is different from your approved budget. In some cases, WMF can consider approving a budget change after funds are spent; however, in those cases we ask for a very clear explanation for why the change was not requested in advance. Grantees who spend grant funds without having a budget change first approved may be taking a risk, since WMF cannot guarantee that every budget change will be approved. This is another good reason for requesting changes in advance.
What changes you may need to request: Grantees receiving grants through the Project and Event Grants or Individual Engagement Grants programs that are equal to or over US$15,000 or its equivalent in another currency need to request permission in advance for changes to line items greater than +/- 10% of that line item. Grantees receiving grants through the Project and Event Grants or Individual Engagement Grants programs that are under US$15,000 or its equivalent in another currency need to request permission in advance for changes to line items greater than +/- 20% of that line item. If you are not sure what the requirements are for your grant, you should contact WMF to ask if approval for a change is needed. In some rare cases, grantees may need additional funds to cover an unexpected expenses associated with a grant and can request a change to the total grant amount through this process.
How to request an approved change to your project budget
There are two simply ways to request a change to your project's budget.
- Use the "Request extension" button found at the bottom of your approved grant submission. Email grants at wikimedia dot org to notify us of your request.
- Leave a comment on your grant submission's discussion page including the information listed here. Email grants at wikimedia dot org to notify us of your request.
- An updated proposed budget table highlighting any proposed changes.
- A clear description of the special circumstances that require this change.
- A clear description of how this change will affect other aspects of your project, including your project budget and your project's goals and activities.
After your request is submitted
After you request your extension using one of the options above and Email grants at wikimedia dot org, here is what will happen next:
- WMF will read your request and may ask you for additional information. If you respond promptly to any questions or requests for WMF, WMF will be able to make a decision more quickly.
- WMF will make a decision to approve or not to approve the new completion date and write a note on the your submission's discussion page showing the decision. WMF will work with you to set a new reporting deadline for your grant, in cases when your reporting schedule needs to be changed. Changes to your reporting schedule must be approved by WMF in writing on the discussion page of your grant submission, and WMF may require additional reports because of an extension.
- WMF will update may update your grant submission using
strikethroughto show that the change to your approved dates has been approved, or may place a template on your grant submission to show that an updated budget is on the discussion page. Please do not do this yourself since this is WMF's way to show that we have seen and approved of the change, and since we ask that you do not alter the approved grant submission after approval without written permission.
- If any additional funds are requested with this change, WMF will contact you to arrange payment. If funds need to be returned as a result of this change, WMF will contact you to make sure you have instructions for returning the funds.