Learning patterns/Partnerships with ministries of education
What problem does this solve?
People who coordinate both new and more established education programs may question whether they should work with the Ministry of Education in their area in order to start or expand a program. This learning pattern will go through questions to consider when making this decision and give recommendations for how to plan for an effective partnership.
What is the solution?
Deciding to work with a local Ministry of Education will depend on several variables:
- It will depend on your country: Do you need them to be involved when working on an education program?
- It will depend on your capacity: Can your wiki support increased participation that might come from a partnership? Do you have training platforms and volunteers to support more students?
- It will depend on your focus: Will this partnership lead to a desirable impact on your wiki?
Things to consider
Things to think about as you plan a partnership:
- Keep in mind that a partnership with the government is a long term engagement. The relationship and program may take years to develop.
- Find out what the Ministry of Education expects from you.
When to use
The Wikipedia Education Program's government partnerships page on Outreach wiki summarizes the known partnerships between Wikimedia groups and educational agencies (ministries of education, departments of education) around the world.