Grants:Learning patterns/Six-account limit
What problem does this solve?
During outreach workshops or even during class assignments activities that happen in the education program, we often face the frustration of participants not being able to create their accounts, since creating more than six new accounts from the same IP is not allowed. Not only the participants, but also the tutor gets upset and usually people just find this out during the event and take a lot of time trying to solve it. Also, if people don't get to create accounts in the Portuguese Wikipedia, they have to go through CAPTCHA for every edit! It also creates obstacles for those who are teaching to get users' accounts list and track their work later, to make sure the workshop was useful and people continued editing.
|During the workshop at the Ateneo de Naga University (ADNU), not all participants were able to create an account because ADNU had one IP address and Wikipedia allows only six accounts to be created by the same IP per day.||
|— Wikimedia Philippines, Open Web Day 2012.|
What is the solution?
- Ask at meta to unblock the IP of the place where the workshop is going to take place (good to do anyway)
- Send out invitations and have a subscription link for the workshop, and instruct people to create their own account before the workshop.
- Asking the "account creator" status on your home wiki allows you to create more than six accounts during a course
- Create more accounts in other wikimedia projects like wiktionary, wikibooks or wikinews or even another wikipedia.
- In case none of those work, get into the IRC #CHANNEL of the project you are working with and ask for an admin to create accounts using Account creator tool. In this case it's necessary the editor gives an e-mail account to receive a password to login.
Many times, people not only get frustrated, but they can’t share with you, during the workshop, which account they have. Therefore, you leave the workshop without their accounts and are unable to track whether they continued editing later, unless they connect with them by email after the activity, which is very unlikely to happen.
- Any outreach activity to teach people how to edit Wikimedia projects
- Class assignments related to the Education program
- HAndrade (WMF)
- Rodrigo Padula (WMF)
- Frank Schulenburg
- Anasuya Sengupta
- Jaime Anstee
- Axel Pettersson
- Kevin Rutherford
- Netha Hussain