Grants:PEG/Abbas Mahmood/Wikipedia for Schools Launch/Report
- Report accepted
- To read the approved grant submission describing the plan for this project, please visit Grants:PEG/Abbas Mahmood/Wikipedia for Schools Launch.
- You may still comment on this report on its discussion page, or visit the discussion page to read the discussion about this report.
- You are welcome to Email grants at wikimedia dot org at any time if you have questions or concerns about this report.
Project Goal: The aim of this event was to launch an offline Wikipedia project -- the first Wikimedia Kenya project -- whose aim was to distribute offline versions of Wikipedia across schools in Kenya. We invited like-minded organisations such as Google Kenya and the Kenya ICT Board so that we could also discuss potential partnership possibilities. We also celebrated Wikipedia 10 Anniversary.
Description of actual activities:
The event was held at Strathmore University. The Dean gave an opening speech, followed by Grace Kariuki who talked about Wikipedia. A short Q&A followed. David Mugo then gave a presentation on the Wikipedia for Schools pilot. To wind up, Ting Chen made his keynote speech on why editing Wikipedia is cool. The Master of Ceremony was Oliver Stegen. After these presentations, attendants had dinner.
What lessons were learned that could help others succeed in similar projects?
- We invited Ting Chen for a whole week and managed to go with him to various institutions, both for outreach purposes and for potential partnerships. It's much easier to secure an appointment with a corporation when you have a senior person from Wikimedia Foundation.
- Attendants had so many questions and we plan on having a lengthier and more interactive Q&A next time.
- Ensure that the Organizing Team is well versed to answer any Wikipedia-related questions.
- Before the event starts, play the Wikipedia videos so that the audience can better understand who are the people behind Wikipedia.
- Educational venues are always better than hotels as they are cheaper.
- Invite the press.
- When ordering merchandise from WMF, always take note of the sizes that you require. Most often, we are usually left with XXL T-shirts that are useless to us.
What impact did the project have on WMF mission goals of Increased Reach, Increased Quality, Increased Credibility, Increased and Diversified Participation?
- We got some attendants who joined the Wikimedia Kenya mailing list and participated in the Wikipedia for Schools project.
- The Standard Newspaper featured an article of the Wikipedia 10 Anniversary.
- Awareness about Swahili Wikipedia and Kikuyu Wikipedia was spread to the environment.
Detail of expenditures:
Documentation of expenditures has been received by WMF.
|PA system & DJ hire||13000 KES|
|Chairs, tables & toppings (rental)||14450 KES|
|Cake, water & pastries||10175 KES|
|Posters & Banners||21580 KES|
|Auditorium rental||12500 KES|
|Ting's treat||900 KES|
|Transport, communication & printing||2000 KES|
|Total Expenditure||206605 KES (2718 USD)*|
Amount underspent in US Dollars:
Will you be requesting re-allocation of remaining grant funding?