Grants:PEG/Kannan Shanmugham - WikiSangamotsavam 2012/Malayalam Wiki Conference 2012
- Legal name of organization or individual requesting this grant
- Kannan Shanmugham on behalf of Wikipedia Malayalam Community (www.ml.wikipedia.org)
- For organizations: Are you a for-profit entity? NA
- For organizations: If non-profit (US) or equivalent (outside the US) status is available in your country, do you have or are you pursuing such status (please be specific): NA
- For individual applicants: Please note that if your request is accepted you will be required to provide documentation verifying your full legal name and address. Yes
- Grant contact name
- Adv. T.K. Sujith
- Grant contact username or email
- tksujith at gmail dot com
- Grant contact title (position)
- Treasurer, WikiSangamotsavam 2012
- Project lead name
- Kannan Shanmugham
- Project lead username or email
- fotographerkannan at gmail dot com
- Project lead title (position), if any
- General Convener, WikiSangamotsavam Organizing Committee
- Full project name
- WikiSangamotsavam 2012 (Malayalam Wiki Annual Conference 2012)
- Amount requested in USD or local currency (USD will be assumed if no other currency is specified)
- INR 1,35,000 (USD 2,700)
- Provisional target start date
- Provisional completion date
|No||Item||Amount (INR)||Amount (USD)||Remarks|
|1||Pre- Conference Expenses||40000||776|
|2||Conference Infrastructure Expenses||2,21,000||4,300|
|3||Food and Accommodation Expenses||1,13,000||2,193||200 Delegates X 2 days|
|No||Source||Amount (INR)||Amount (USD)||Remarks|
|2||From Govt. of Kerala||1,20,000||2,329||20,000 (388 USD) confirmed|
|3||Sponsorship of IT@School Project||70,000||1,358||not sanctioned|
|5||Grant From Wkimedia Media India Chapter||94,000||1,941||1,00,000 sanctioned|
|6||Grant From WkiMedia Foundation||1,35,000||2,621||(We place this request due to|
the Failure of 2 & 3 sources)
|No||Item||Amount (INR)||Amount (USD)||Remarks|
|1||Publicity (Posters, Banners etc.)||35000||679.40|
|2||Sound System & Other Technical Equipments||30000||582.34|
|3||Multi Color Handbook (20 x 1500)||30,000||582.34|
|4||Stationery Articles (Bag, File etc. 200 x200)||40,000||776.45|
|Total||1,35,000||2,621 (Rounded = 2,700)|
In 2012 April 28 and 29, we the Malayalam Wiki Community decided to held our Annual Conference of our Contributors and users and it named as WikiSangamotsavam 2012. WikiSangamotsavam means the "Wiki Festival of Union or get-together. " The local community at Kollam district in Kerala will host this Conference.
Wikisamgamotsavam is the annual meet-up of editors, users and software experts working with Wikimedia and other free software projects. The meet-up is intended to facilitate discussions among Wikimedians regarding the future programs of Malayalam Wikimedia. Those interested in Wiki-projects of Wikimedia Foundation, who are not registered users on Wikimedia are also encouraged to attend. Educationalists, researchers and free software activists are particularly encouraged to attend. The conference will also provide a platform for the public to discuss with Wikimedians, clarify their doubts and submit their suggestions.
To meet the expenses of this annual conference we need the support of Wiki Media Foundation and Wikimedia India Chapter. Detailed budget of the event is shown in the Wikimedia India Chapter Fund Request page and it will come around Rs.3,74,000. In which Rs. 94,000/- a portion of the total expense was requested from Wikimedia India Chapter, but they are generously grant 1 lac Rupees to us. For rest of the amount we have already placed a similar request before Govt. of Kerala. But due to bureaucratic latches and limitations the same not yet considered by Govt. Officials.
Hence this request for provide another part of the total expenditure from Wikimedia Foundation.
Project scope and list of activities
- We expect around 200 people to attend this conference which includes around 50 students selected from different schools of Kollam district.
- We expect 200 participants for the event from inside and outside Kerala.
- This is an open event and in this meetup, along with the whole malayalam wiki community, any person those who interested in Malayalam Wikimeida Activities such as Students, Teachers, Computer Professionals, Educational and Social workers etc. can attend.
- There are 26 Submissions / Presentation by Wikipedians / public in two days.
- A panel discussion regarding Copyright of Government documents. - Day-2
- Parallel Wiki School Students Conference - on Day-2
- An Analysis of all Malayalam wiki projects and discussion about taking the Malayalam wiki projects forward.
- WikiSangamotsavam will be inaugurated by Prof. Dr. V.N Rajasekharan Pillai, who is the Vice Chairman of Kerala State Council for Science Technology and Environment and a prominent Academician in State of Kerala.
- Keynote address will be delivered by Barri Newstead, Wikimedia Foundation Chief Global Development officer.
- Public Speeches by prominent IT movement leaders of Kerala.
- Wiki workshops to introduce malayalam wiki projects to newbies
Please spread the word of WIkiSangmaotsavam to all the Wikipeida communities across India and encourage our fellow Wikimedians to participate into the WikiSangamotsavam 2012 (Malayalam Wiki Annual Conference 2012) as a guest or a speaker by submitting their papers in different parallel sessions as stated above.
Fit to strategy
- WikiSangamotsavam 2012 will cement the friendship between Malayalam Wkimedians and it will strengthen the community in many aspects
- The widespread publicity of the WikiSangamotsavam through our website, social media and other mass media enlighten the people of Kerala about the scope of Malayalam Wikipedia and other projects.
- Through this publicity people will more attracted into wikipedia and we hope a leap in the number of our contributors.
- It is expected to taken place a detailed discussion and frame up of Novel projects which develop the scope of Malayalam Wikipedia in this event.
- The presentations about various topics under the broad heads of "Community", "Knowledge", "Technology" and "Outreach" will improve the knowledge level of participants and community generally.
The successful completion of this project would lead into a better environment for Malayalam Wikipedia in Kerala.
Measures of success
- Increase the number of registered users
- Increase the quality of articles
- Novel projects by the community
Team members (optional)
and a number of other great volunteers of Malayalam Wiki Community who help us online and offline...