- Legal name of chapter
- Wikimedia Philippines, Inc.
- Grant contact name
- Roel Balingit
- Grant contact username or email
- Namayan / email@example.com
- Grant contact title (position)
- Project lead name
- Emmanuel Ramirez (GLAM launch, Wikipedian in residence) / Roel Balingit (Cultural mapping)
- Project lead username or email
- firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com
- Project lead title (position), if any
- Project manager
- Full project name
- GLAM Philippines 2012
- Amount requested in USD or local currency (USD will be assumed if no other currency is specified)
- PHP 766,800 (USD 17,850)
- Provisional target start date
- May 19, 2012
- Provisional completion date
- December 31, 2012
|Amount in USD
($1 ≈ ₱42)
|4-hour rental in the Ayala Museum, a private museum strategically located in Makati – Manila's financial center.
|In house sound system rental of the Ayala Museum
|charged by the Ayala Museum
|Media kit CDs
|will cover manufacturing costs of brochures including book type brochures to be distributed to targeted partner institutions
|Promotional materials (Tarpaulins and banners)
|will cover courier services to deliver invitations and communications to institutions, as regular postal service is unreliable.
|will cover transportation expenses of the project team members when making preparations for GLAM
|Meetings and preparations
|will cover food expenses of the project team members when making preparations for GLAM.
|Liam Wyatt's airfare
|Liam Wyatt's 3-day hotel accommodation
|Liam Wyatt's 3-day food allowance
Wikipedian in residence
|Amount in USD
($1 ≈ ₱42)
|6-month Contractor allowance (15,000/month)
|Food allowance (6,000/month)
|Communication allowance (500/month)
|Amount in USD
($1 ≈ ₱42)
|Travel expenses for 3 persons
|The cultural writing lecturer, Wikipedia editing lecturer, and professional photo/video documentor would be travelling to Romblon at least three times in the 2-month period of the project implementation. Travel expenses would include air, land and sea travel as Romblon is a province made up of several islands each practically distinct from each other.
|Stipend for lecturer and documentor (1,500/day)
|the"Lecturer" could be a cultural professor or a specialist recommended by the National Commission on Culture and the Arts (NCCA), "Documentor" is a professional video and photo documentor.
|Food and transportation for 5-student writers
|Computer unit rentals for student writers
The goal of the GLAM launch is to open partnerships with GLAM targeted institutions where the Wikipedian in residence would be working. It will also provide a forum for Wikipedians and chapter members to have a deeper knowledge of GLAM so they can benefit and use the documentation it would produce in developing/creating Wikipedia articles.
Wikipedian in residence
The goal of having a Wikipedian in residence is to:
- Have liaison between the organization and the Wikimedia community to promote a mutually beneficial cooperation,
- Promote understanding of Wikimedia among staff at the organization through workshops and events.
- Works with organizational staff to digitize, compile, and organize resources that can be shared with the Wikipedia community.
- Facilitate the improvement of content by the Wikipedia community, rather than directly editing articles as a core goal.
- Coordinate events, such as Backstage Tours, that bring Wikipedians on-site to work with staff on content creation and improvement.
- Avoid Conflict of Interest by not editing articles directly relating to the GLAM Institution or the organization.
- Be the formal coordinator with the institution, as it will allow the resident to work closely with staff for various projects.
- Lay the foundation for a more lasting partnership between the Wikipedia community and an organization.
The goal of cultural mapping activity to create volumes of cultural documentation of a particular province in the Philippines and upload this to Wikisource once it is published by a university publication or through a grant that may be obtained from the National Commission on Culture and the Arts or other institutions. Photo and video documentation shall likewise find its way to Wikimedia Commons.
Project scope and list of activities
The GLAM launch is set to take place on June 16, in Ayala Museum a private museum in Makati. There are a lot of preparations that would have to be made including designing of brochures to be given to curators and directors of GLAM institutions, production of media kit. A lot of communication would have to be made, and invites would also be sent to cultural directors of schools. It plans to fly in Liam Wyatt, one of GLAM's main proponent, to personally share his experience in pursuing the project.
Leading up to the GLAM launch, WMPH would arrange a meeting with the 15-man Board of the National Commission on Culture and the Arts to convince them to have the country's public cultural/heritage institutions to open up to WMPH and its GLAM projects, rather than talking one by one to each of the attached agencies under its overall supervision, namely: National Museum, National Library, National Archives, National Historical Commission of the Philippines, Cultural Center of the Philippines, Commission on the Filipino Language, etc.
Wikipedian in residence
Similar to Wikipedian in residence in other countries, the Philippine Wikipedian resident shall have the same responsibilities. It shall begin work on July 1, 2012 and commence the contract on December 31, 2012. The resident Wikipedian should be able to wrap up work in a specified amount of period depending on the size of the museum/institution. About 2 or at most 3 museums will be targeted to be accomplished within 6 month contract.
The launch of Wiki Loves Monuments in the Philippines which has been endorsed by the National Commission on Culture and the Arts (NCCA) has opened more areas for partnership with the country's cultural agency. Furthermore, it caught the attention of members of the Association of Cultural Offices of Philippine Educational Institutions (ACOPEI), made up of the country's top universities.
WMPH has already conducted initial dialogues with ACOPEI and NCCA (Subcommittee on Education) on how to utilize the Wikimedia projects to further promote the various efforts of cultural preservation. National Heritage Month Celebrations would be taking place in Romblon province this coming May, however apart from the festivities it does not produce any actual documentation of the rich cultural heritage of the province.
The Cultural Mapping activity would be piloted in Romblon province, an island province in central Philippines which is at the crossroads of the country's major sea lanes. The province, despite it's relative small size has three distinct languages, and customs and sites that are disappearing fast and known only to ageing locals. The cultural mapping activity is set to conduct training and research of various customs and traditions, as well as historical and cultural sites in the province and is set to be accomplished in two months, with the actual documentation produced uploaded to Wikisource a month later. It would tap students of the Romblon State University who would be taught the aspect of cultural documentation and Wikipedia editing. The project will provide Wikipedia lecturers, Cultural writing lecturers and a professional photo/video documentor, and would have to travel to Romblon as often as necessary 3-4 times in two months to provide progressive training.
Fit to strategy
The project is in line with the Strategic Plan of the Chapter to:
- Partner with the right institutions – Viability of NGOs in the Philippines is largely dependent on the number of partnerships and engagements they have with other NGOs and government institutions. These projects would partner with the National Commission on Culture and the Arts (NCCA) as they have the materials and technical expertise that would complement the work that these projects would pursue. In the long run it will also aim to release to Wikipedia other cultural documentation that the agency has already produced but are not publicly available.
It would also strategically partner with non-government cultural organizations especially in this case Association of Cultural Offices of Philippine Educational Institutions (ACOPEI), which is made up of cultural heads of universities in the Philippines among it the University of the Philippines. Penetrating these organizations that have academic connections would create an avenue for Wikipedia to be widely accepted in the campuses and would potentially provide a pool of contributors from these universities. Furthermore, for these projects especially the Cultural Mapping Project would already penetrate Romblon State University which will serve as the base of operations of the project as the writers would be sourced from the university.
- Increase participation – These projects will provide a niche for its members who are inclined with cultural projects. It aims to harness their skills and potentials for them to be immersed in the Wikimedia movement despite not having initial editing experience. We must show that Wikipedia is not just simply about editing and making contribution online, but it is also engaged in groundwork projects that create the needed materials.
This was already shown in the launch of Wiki Loves Monuments where 12 new members have signed to be members of the chapter after seeing the value of the projects the chapter is pursuing and are now eager how they can contribute to Wikipedia. A dozen more non-members, non-Wikipedians are waiting to be briefed about the projects which will require them to familiarize themselves with the Wikipedia editing environment.
- Creation of quality content – These projects would result in quality content that will be used for Wikipedia projects as professionals in their respective fields, (i.e. professors from universities, cultural lecturers, museum curators/directors, professional video/photo documentors) would be assisting WMPH in providing training to those who would do the groundwork.
- Implement progressing projects – The first two years of WMPH were marked with projects that are actually implemented and accomplished in a day attempting to basically introduce WMPH to the public. The time is ripe for WMPH, with its membership base growing to more than 60 as of April 2012, to have projects which would be implemented over a period of time or phases, and would provide more projects/ideas to branch out of it. Thus showing continuity of its objectives and the goals of its founding. These projects will test the project management and organizational skills of WMPH as it enters its third year. The Cultural Mapping in particular, if successful could be replicated in other provinces and could continue for several years.
The Chapter is working to make itself known to the NCCA as it will be one of the agencies which will accredit the Chapter to be "certified" non-government organization which will allow its donors full non-taxation of donations. Wiki Loves Monuments has already established some name recall among the staff in the NCCA for pursuing cultural projects with barely just a government endorsement.
Measures of success
This project would be considered a success once:
Three museums/GLAM institutions would agree to be covered by the projects of WMPH, at least 50 people are in attendance and would have the exposure to what GLAM is about, and if the project would entice 10 new members to join the Chapter as a result of GLAM activities.
Wikipedian in residence
The measure of success for the Wikipedian in residence would be able to cover two cultural/heritage institutions, conduct of two back stage access events for Wikimedians in the 6-month period of the contract. It would be rated very successful if it would be warmly received by other cultural/heritage institutions and request WMPH to have their own Wikipedian in residence.
The creation of volumes of free content cultural documentation that would be released Wikisource, other photos and videos would also be uploaded to Wikimedia Commons. A clamor to replicate the project in another province would also signify the success of the cultural mapping activity.