- Official project name
- Freedom of Panorama in the Philippines legal opinion
- Project start date (include month, day, and year)
- January 1, 2014
- Project completion date (include month, day, and year)
- June 30, 2015
- Please describe the project in 1–2 sentences
- Obtain a legal opinion on Freedom of Panorama's availability in Intellectual Property laws in the Philippines in order to guide freely-licensed media content contributors from the Philippines in determining what is legally allowed to be uploaded in Wikimedia Commons.
- Currency requested
- Philippine Pesos
- Amount requested in currency requested
- ₱ 60,000
- Equivalent amount in US$ on the date of this submission
- US$ 1,374
- List the exchange rate used to calculate the amount listed in US$
- ₱43.659 = $1.00 (Exchange rate of the Philippine Central Bank as of June 11, 2014)
- Primary contact name
- Eugene Villar
- Primary contact username or email
- eugene at wikimedia dot org dot ph
- Primary contact title (position within the organization)
If this project will be executed by someone other than the primary contact for your organization, please list that person's details here:
- Project lead name
- Roel Balingit
- Project lead username or email
- roel dot balingit at wikimedia dot org dot ph
- Project lead title (position), if any
Goals and measures of success
Please briefly describe what will be accomplished if the project is successful.
- Project goal
- To obtain a legal opinion on "Freedom of Panorama" from Intellectual Property law experts in the Philippines and if needed a ruling from the Philippines' Intellectual Property Office.
- To communicate with the administrator of Wikimedia Commons about the opinion once obtained to prevent media taken in the Philippines from being deleted/purged.
- To guide Philippine media content contributors from determining what can be uploaded to Wikimedia Commons, without their media being deleted due to non-compliance.
Measures of success
Please provide a list of measurable criteria that will be used determine how successful the project is.
- Measures of success
- This project will be considered successful if we will:
- A legal opinion from an IP Law expert/practitioner from the Philippines is acknowledged and recognized by the Wikimedia Commons community by June 30, 2015.
Project scope and activities
This section describes what will happen if this project is funded. Who will do what, and when?
- List of activities
- The project lead has already spoken to lawyer who will seek a legal opinion on the Philippines' IP law conformity with "Freedom of Panorama" from Atty. Numeriano Rodriguez Jr., law professor, intellectual property law consultant for the USAID, founder of the Intellectual Property Coalition where he serves the general counsel.
- If Atty. Rodriguez finds that Philippine IP laws (which are generally patterned after the United States) allows the "Freedom of Panorama" and if Wikimedia Commons administrators so warrants, his opinion will be brought to the Intellectual Property Office to request a formal ruling regarding the matter.
Budget and resources
|Number||Category||Item description||Unit||Number of units||Cost per unit||Total cost||Currency||Notes|
|1||Legal and representation fees||50,000 ($1,145)||PHP|
|2||Incidental expenses||–||–||–||10,000 ($229)||PHP|
In the sections below, please describe how the project is related to the Wikimedia mission and Wikimedia's strategic priorities.
Fit to strategy
- How will this project support the key organizational objectives of
- If a positive opinion is obtained, it should pave the way for media about the Philippines to be retained in Wikimedia Commons.
- This statement should address at least one of the strategic priorities listed here specifically. See WMF Grants Program criteria for decisionmaking.
- This will help in furthering the mission of the Wikimedia Foundation "to collect and develop educational content under a free license or in the public domain, and to disseminate it effectively and globally" by clarifying the conformity of Philippine IP laws with the "Freedom of Panorama"
- If the project will benefit a specific online community, please tell us.
- This project will directly benefit contributions on Wikimedia Commons of images/media taken in the Philippines.