- Legal name of chapter
- Wikimedia Philippines Inc.
- Grant contact name
- Josh Lim
- Grant contact user-name or e-mail
- Sky Harbor / firstname.lastname@example.org
- Grant contact title (position)
- Project lead name
- Jojit Ballesteros
- Project lead user-name or e-mail
- Project lead title (position), if any
- Head Organizer
- Full project name
- Wikimedia Philippines: National Convention on Statistics
- Amount requested (in USD)
- P54,000 (around $1,200)
- Provisional target start date
- July 15, 2010
- Provisional completion date
- October 16, 2010
(N.B.: For ease of computing and to account for currency fluctuations, rates here are quoted at P45=$1 if Philippine peso figures are given. All values given here are estimates.)
- Exhibitor booth P9,000 ($200)
- Wikimedia promotional material and other expenses: P13,500 ($300)
- Convention fee for four delegates - P27,000 ($600)
- Allowance for delegates - P4,500 ($100)
Any extra funds left unused after the procurement/payment of all the above items shall be reallocated for use in funding WMPH projects and programs for the 2011 fiscal year, with permission from the Wikimedia Foundation.
The National Convention on Statistics (NCS) is a triennial event by the National Statistical Coordination Board (NSCB) of the Philippines. The event aims to elicit cooperation and support from statisticians and professionals from various sectors towards a more responsive statistical system. Wikimedia Philippines will participate in this event as an exhibitor and as delegates. As an exhibitor, this event can be a vehicle to reach out to professionals and experts to participate on Wikimedia-related projects and how can they help on improving Wikipedia articles, specifically regarding statistical information. As delegates, chapter members can learn from experts about statistical subjects. The event is also a way to partner with NSCB, the government agency that has an authority on coordination of Philippine statistical information and analysis.
The goal of this project is to allow Wikimedia, through Wikimedia Philippines, to engage professionals and experts to participate in Wikimedia-related projects. It also aims to partner with NSCB, since Wikipedia articles relating to Philippine places (i.e. provinces, municipalities and cities) rely on NSCB data.
Fit to strategy
This project enables Wikimedia to maximize exposure in specific venues such as this one, and in particular during events during the conference. This can help Wikimedia develop closer relationships with current and prospective users such as experts and professionals, and showcase Wikimedia's range of services, as well as what the projects seek to do.
NCS does generate a fairly significant amount of press coverage in local media, so we believe we can get some positive media coverage on our part. In addition, exposing people to Wikimedia during the conference would indirectly expose people in the countryside and other people from regional centers who we may not be able to currently reach out to effectively to Wikimedia, making it easier for us to reach them and engage them in the future.
Measures of success
We will consider this project a success if the following quantitative measures are met:
- At least 60 percent of distributable Wikimedia paraphernalia has been distributed during the conference
- At least 5 people show interest in joining WMPH
- If the number of new editors to the Wikimedia projects increases as a result of this conference, whether it be on the English or Philippine-language projects
Qualitatively, we will consider this project a success if we are able to build up a strong support network, especially with NSCB, by which Wikimedia Philippines can more easily roll out future regional (outside Manila) initiatives and programs.