Grants:PEG/WM PH/Software Freedom Day Philippines 2011
- Legal name of chapter
- Wikimedia Philippines Inc.
- Grant contact name
- Jojit Ballesteros
- Grant contact user-name or e-mail
- Jojit_fb / firstname.lastname@example.org
- Grant contact title (position)
- Project lead name
- Butch Bustria
- Project lead user-name or e-mail
- Project lead title (position), if any
- Head Organizer
- Full project name
- Software Freedom Day Philippines 2011 : Wiki as part of Free Culture
- Amount requested (in USD)
- 750 (₱31,500)
- Provisional target start date
- September 1, 2011
- Provisional completion date
- September 30, 2011
(N.B.: For ease of computing and to account for currency fluctuations, rates here are quoted at P42=$1 if Philippine peso figures are given. All values given here are estimates.)
- Gold sponsorship for the 2011 Software Freedom Day Philippines: P15,000 (around $358)
- Wikimedia promotional material and other expenses: P16,500 ($392)
Any extra funds left unused after the procurement/payment of all the above items shall be reallocated for use in funding WMPH projects and programs for the 2011-12 fiscal year, with permission from the Wikimedia Foundation.
Software Freedom Day is the international commemoration of Free/Open Source Software (FOSS), free high quality alternatives to proprietary software ranging from operating system to application that people would use at home, in the office or at school.
Hundreds to almost thousands of organizations worldwide are celebrating SFD every year. SFD is an outreach day where we inspire newcomers to the community with the values and quality of free software and communicate the broader issues of software freedom through a variety of activities. Various relevant and exciting IT topics are presented and discussed during the event.
This event shares the Wikimedia Foundation's vision of spreading free and open sourced knowledge in each country in the entire globe.
The goal of this project is to allow Wikimedia, through Wikimedia Philippines, to engage key players in the local IT industry, allowing them to learn more about what Wikimedia has to offer and what they can do to help the movement prosper, both locally and abroad.
A short video message from the foundation on Software Freedom Day would boost morale of young developers and prospective contributors
Fit to strategy
This project enables Wikimedia to maximize exposure in specific venues such as this one, and in particular during high-attendance events during the conference. This can help Wikimedia develop closer relationships with current and prospective users such as students, developers and professionals, and showcase Wikimedia's range of services, as well as what the projects seek to do.
This event would open opportunities with other advocates on free culture and collectively promote new process innovations and technologies with the use of free and open source works.
Measures of success
We will consider this project a success if the following quantitative measures are met:
- At least 60 percent of distributable Wikimedia paraphernalia has been distributed during the conference
- At least ten people show interest in joining WMPH
- If the number of new editors to the Wikimedia projects increases as a result of this conference, whether it be on the English or Philippine-language projects
Qualitatively, we will consider this project a success if we are able to build up a strong support network by which Wikimedia Philippines can more easily roll out future regional (outside Manila) initiatives and programs.