Grants:Project/Photos of Telugu Villages into Telugu Wikipedia
What is the problem you're trying to solve?
Explain the problem that you are trying to solve with this project. What is the issue you want to address? Be brief, you can update and add to this later. There are nearly 25000 Telugu village articles in Telugu Wikipedia. Many of these articles are in poor quality, especially in terms of images. Telugu Wikipedia community is trying to address this issue. But there are no free licensed photographs of these villages available.
What is your solution?
Briefly explain how you will address this problem. A group of interested Wikipedians who are contributing to Telugu village articles travel in a route which covers above said villages and take quality photographs of Main places of importance, historical monuments, temples, specific culture, Government offices in those villages. And upload these photos to commons. Add in respective sections of Telugu village articles in Telugu wikipedia.
What are the primary goal of your project? Please briefly explain what are you trying to accomplish with this project, or what do you expect will change as a result of this grant
- Collect geographic data of villages through GPS enabled pictures
- Adding diverse images about villages in Telangana and Andhra Pradesh.
- Adding information about villages to Telugu Wikipedia articles
- Educating people about Wikipedia.
- Collecting information brochures, information booklets if any from villagers
- Making census data from census website readily addable to village articles
- Making images of various villages available on commons, which can be added into village articles by the community.
- Collecting newspaper references and book references for information on villages and making it available for Wikipedians to work on village articles.
- Increasing reach of Wikipedia by educating people about Wikipedia.
Travel costs (4 trips per month, INR 4000 per trip, 12 months) :INR 192,000/- (approx 2871.67 USD)
Food (4 trips per month, INR 300 per trip, 12 months) :INR 14,400/- (approx 215.38 USD)
- Focused editathon involving content gathered quarterly once.
- About 10 existing Wikipedians and 20 new Wikipedians expected to be created.
- Around 450 village articles on Telugu Wikipedia to be improved involving community.
- Exploring possibility of making villagers as Wikipedians.
- The same project can be scaled down to village level and with co-ordination from one or other Government agency, this could be scaled to any level.
Measures of success
- Improve at least 25000 village articles on Telugu Wikipedia village articles with census data.
- Add at least 400 images to commons
- Make at least 20 new Wikipedians
- Bhaskaranaidu - grantee
- రహ్మానుద్దీన్ - advisor
- Pavan santhosh.s - advisor
Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions. Need notification tips?
Do you think this project should be selected for an Individual Engagement Grant? Please add your name and rationale for endorsing this project below! (Other constructive feedback is welcome on the discussion page).
- Support They did a good work in village articles. Their expertise and interest in this project will help to improve Village articles. so i endorse it.--Meena gayathri.s (talk) 05:37, 9 August 2016 (UTC)