Grants:Project/Rapid/Addis Wang - UGCN/Wikipedia Asian Month 2016/Report
Did you meet your goals? Are you happy with how the project went?
- Yes, we've managed to achieve most our goals. Wikipedia Asian Month in 2016 went much better than we expected, so pretty happy about the result.
Please report on your original project targets.
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|50 Wikipedia projects||48 Wikipedia projects + 2 Wikisource Projects||We have more than 50 Wikimedia Projects participate, while only 50 of them have the outcome|
|1,500 Wikipedians involved||734 Wikipedians wrote at least one articles + more than 50 local organizers||We did not count people who just signed up as we did last time. Otherwise it will be some number around 2,000|
|7,000 high-quality articles||7,970 high-quality articles|
|15 Offline Edit-a-thon||9||Lack of human resource organizing it|
After Event Survey
- This survey only target participants who wrote more than 4 qualified articles. Total responses are 449, approximately 400 response are valid.
- 12.9% are female editors
- 12.9% editors have less than 1-year editing experience, 45.9% have more than 5-year-experience
- 32.2% editors learn this event by invitation/talk page message, 59.9% by Central Notice
- 63% editors rate "Fountain" 1 or 2 (out of 7, 1 is very good), 74.8% rate 1, 2 or 3 (out of 7)
- 83.6% editors express that they will keep contributing to Asian content
- 93.2% editors would like to receive updates on next WAM
- 46.2% editors willing to be an organizer next time
Specific Feedback to Fountain
- The suggestions are randomly listed, no priority by the order.
- wmflab is not stable, broken many times in different regions, sometimes crashed. some back up? (Top request from the participants)
- Not very efficient
- should be able to add multiple articles at once
- Would be better if expanded articles can include
- Sometimes some browser has error message
- turning redirects into articles
- remove submissions (maybe at least on organizer's interface)
- Realtime statistics, one suggest global top 10 scores, wmcharts
- Make a statement in the tool, that imagine, template does not count into words
- The tool should not accept articles that are less than 300 words
- Small bug: Links to articles with titles finishing with a "?" were broken (example on French contest: https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/O!RUL8,2%3F was redirected to https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/O!RUL8,2)
- participants can rename the entries
- what if the article is deleted, maybe auto-checking it and mark it?
- Use AJAX to avoid switching pages when adding articles, Add articles on the main page directly
- Direct language selector via parameter in URL
- Allow user to submit article even if machine does not allow that (Addis: I would say at least allow organziers do it for users in case of tool error etc)
- Allow extra-days to submit articles
- A notification via talk page once a day when an organizer evaluates the article
- Recent actions
Projects do not always go according to plan. Sharing what you learned can help you and others plan similar projects in the future. Help the movement learn from your experience by answering the following questions:
- Small recognition works amazing. We provide postcard and certificate just like last year. But we introduce a special postcard for 15 articles and Wikimedia T-shirt for global top 3. Not only Wikipedians willing to write more articles in the event, but also recognize their effort on Wikimedia Movement will improve our community health.
- The International team is not as organized as expected.
- Will have more specific position description for volunteers so everyone can have a sense about what need to be done.
- We will stop using the word "Edit-a-thon" to create a feeling of easy participation.
- Facebook ad only works when the post is specifically designed to get likes.
Grant funds spent
Please describe how much grant money you spent for approved expenses, and tell us what you spent it on.
|Category||Item||Cost (Local Currency)||Receipt No||Contact Person||Convert Rate||Subtotal (USD)||Note|
|UG-CN||Stamps||90RMB||01||Addis||-||-||100 pieces, discounted price|
|UG-CN||Bank fee||-||N/A||Addis||-||30USD||two transcations|
|UG-KO||Stamps||11,600KRW||03-p.2||Motoko C. K.||-||-||-|
|UG-KO||Postcard||20,000KRW||03-p.1||Motoko C. K.||-||-||-|
|UG-KO||Paypal fee||1,500KRW||04||Motoko C. K.||-||-||-|
|UG-KO||Paypal fee||-||N/A||Addis||-||0.19USD||Charged on Addis' side|
|Subtotal||-||33,100KRW||-||-||1177.33||$28.11+0.19=$28.30||Remaining 12,003KRW ($10.20)|
|Subtotal||-||9,468JPY||-||-||103.83||$91.19||Remaining -123JPY ($1.19)|
|Subtotal||-||1,548TWD||-||-||30.72||$50.39+0.33=$50.72||Remaining 439TWD ($14.29)|
|WMHK||Paypal Fee & Currency exchange loss||$4.8||N/A||User:SusanLai||-||-||No postcard send, grant refund|
|UG-PAN||Postcard||1365 INR||25||User:Satdeep Gill||-||-||-|
|UG-PAN||Stamps||2500 INR||26||User:Satdeep Gill||-||-||-|
|UG-PAN||West Union Transfer fee||27||User:Satdeep Gill||-||5 USD||-|
|Subtotal||-||3865 INR||-||-||68.57||$56.36+5=$61.37||Remaining 3335 INR ($48.63)|
|Other||Certifcate Protecting Sheet||$10.53||07||Addis||-||-||-|
|Other||U.S. Stamp International||$207||09&10||Addis||-||-||Special Postcard and Certificate copy|
|Other||Envelop, tape and marker pen||$5||lost||Addis||-||-||For sending certifcate copy|
|Other||Paypal fee to Takot||$0.1||16||Addis||-||-||-|
|Other||5-year Domain Registration asianmonth.wiki||$35.30||23||Kenrick||-||-||For further event|
|Other||WordPress.com Personal Account 1 year||$35.88||24||Kenrick||-||-||Hosting the website|
|Other||Paypal fee to Kenrick||$0.36||28||Addis||-||-||-|
|Unforseen||Namecard Designing&Process fee||$10||NA||Erick||-||-||-|
Do you have any remaining grant funds?
- Wikimedia Taiwan has remaining fund of $14.29, request to cover part of the overspend of their Asian Month Edit-a-thon project. (Around $20.33 is overspent)
Anything else you want to share about your project?
- Calculated Number based on the covert rate