Grants:Project/Rapid/Adoscam/Project/Rapid/Wikimedians of Benin User Group/Wiki Loves Earth 2021 in Benin/Report
Did you meet your goals? Are you happy with how the project went?
The Wikimedian User Group of the Benin organized this year 2021 for the Third time its international photo contest Wiki Loves Earth 2021 in Benin. Learning from our participation in the Wiki Loves Monuments 2019-2020, Wiki Loves Africa 2019-2020-2021, WikiProject AfroCine Benin 2019-2020, Wiki Loves Folklore 2021, Wiki Wanted Page (WWP) Folklore 2021 and many other projects contest, we were able to achieve our goals in accordance with what we mentioned in our grant application. Professional photographers have joined our community of contributors.
- 927 photos were uploaded by 28 participants (with 15 Uploaders registered after competition start)
- 3 training and upload sessions were held in Abomey-Calavi
- 2 photo walk outgoing were held in Abomey-Calavi.
- Media participation in the events increased the visibility of the wikimedia projects and the Wiki loves Earth 2021 contest in Benin.
Wiki Loves Earth 2021 in Benin- Outreach Events
Organized for the third time in Benin by the Benin Wikimedians' local group from Benin User Group, the Wiki Loves Earth 2021 competition took place through several activities and events. We can mention Two photos walks on Abomey-calavi natural heritage sites,
- A writing workshop and two upload workshops
- The awareness event resulted in an increase in the number of participants whose details are shown in the following galleries.
WLE 2021 in Benin- Launch Events 15 may 2021 and session and workshop of 12 June 2021
WLE 2021 Bénin two Photos Walk of 05 June 2021 and of 29 may 2021
Winners and Finalist Images
|SN||User Name||Full Name|
|1||AMADOU BAHLEMAN FARID||AMADOU BAHLEMAN FARID|
|2||AMADOU BAHLEMAN FARID||AMADOU BAHLEMAN FARID|
|3||Ciaro pictures||Ciaro pictures|
|4||AMADOU BAHLEMAN FARID||AMADOU BAHLEMAN FARID|
|5||AMADOU BAHLEMAN FARID]||AMADOU BAHLEMAN FARID|
|6||Roger soro||Roger soro|
|7||Freed Armel||Freed Armel|
Please report on your original project targets.
|S.N.||Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|1||Number of participants||28 (140%)||Target reached.|
|2||Number of new participants||15 (150%)||Target reached.
These were uploaders who created usernames during the competition.
|3||Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons||927 (184,4%)||Target reached.|
|4||Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects||21 (42%)||Target non reached. But we will continue to use images on Wikipedia during the next WPWP project.|
- Dashboard here
Projects do not always go according to plan. Sharing what you learned can help you and others plan similar projects in the future. Help the movement learn from your experience by answering the following questions:
- What worked well?
- The organization of the of line sessions allowed us to reach other target groups including biodiversity and some professional photographers;
- Our digital channels (facebook page. Twitter, Instagram etc.) and newspapers, have enabled us to reach more people who are starting to go to Wikipedia and its other brother projects https://twitter.com/wikimediensBJ. WLE 221 Bénin_laureats-connus/
- Award ceremony on line also gave a boost to the scope of the competition by having more people;
- With our third participation, Wiki Loves Earth 2021 in Benin strengthens the passion of our user group Wikimedien Benin and allows us to share with the community the richness of our biodiversity.
- What did not work so well?
- The poor quality of the photos submitted by the participants and some photos out of context in the competition;
- Very few professional photographers among the participants.
- What would you do differently next time?
- Develop a website dedicated to, Wiki Loves Eartn in Benin for more visibility to the project as is the case in France and Brazil
- Encourage, involve and motivate new contributors and members of our user group to join us in future editions.
- Organize more download sessions and editathons anf Photo Walk
- Find more jury members earlier and try to do our pre-jury screening earlier to allow for a deeper and faster screening process.
- Find partnerships with other structures to obtain facilities for photo outings if the health situation related to COVID is improved
Below you can find the estimated project budget for the planning and execution of the Wiki Loves Earth 2020 in Benin on the basis of Event, outreach and prize distribution.
|Item Description||No. of Units||Unit Price||Total Costs||Notes||Receipt available|
|Events||3||110||330||Drinks + catering snacks for the 2 face-to-face workshops during the period estimated.The expenses for the awards ceremony are also included||YES|
|Main Prize||3||120 USD||360 USD||Prize bond for Top 3 Photos. It is prize bonds or gift items equivalent to respective amount. Not a cash prize (First, Second, Third)||YES|
|Vouchers worth $ 10 to the best three who have put more photos in terms of quantity and quality.||YES|
|A gift voucher of 10 usd for the person who would have contributed the most on Wikipedia||YES|
|Special Prize for the woman||1||10 USD||10 USD||Prize for the woman who would have contributed the best||YES|
|Protective equipment against COVID 19||-||80
|Protective mask, hydroalcollic gel and other products for disinfecting meeting places.||YES|
|Forfait internet expenses Team Member||6||40 USD||240 USD||Forfait internet expenses (Team Member)||YES|
|Forfait internet expenses for jury members||4||40 USD||160 USD||Forfait internet (for jury members)||YES|
|Internet data to participants individually||20||10
|Internet data is provided to participants individually||YES|
|WLE T-shirts||10||10 USD||100 USD||WLE T-shirts for team members||YES|
|Photo hunting||02||100 USD||200 USD||Two photos hunting in protected areas therefore are paid||YES|
|Communication expenses. Internet will also be used during online events.||YES|
|Other (Unknown) Expenses||100
|Total cost of project||1986 USD (1 USD = 590,00 Franc CFA as of 12 April 2021)|
- Total Budget received is: 1046220 XOF (1773,254 USD)
- Total Expense is 1053000 XOF (1 887,18 USD)
Do you have any remaining grant funds?Please describe how much grant money you spent for approved expenses, and tell us what you spent it on.
- We have no remaining surplus of funds