Grants:Project/Rapid/Anasskoko/Photowalk in Five different states of Hausa land/Report
- Did you meet your goals? Yes goals have been met, targeted files to upload is 600 files, while we upload 953 files. Photowalk_in_Northern_Nigeria
- Are you happy with how the project went? I'm excited in the first day when taking photo walk, after all, the photo walk team are very suspicious in the community where ever we go, some have to interrogate us, some denie our approach due to banditry, kidnapping and insurgency factors in Nigeria especially in North, so we have to stay at a very low profile to do the photo walk, so that's what makes me not really happy about this project.
|1||To upload files images to Wikimedia Commons.￼||Files uploaded|
|2||To Add and improve content in Wikidata items and Wikipedia pages||Wikidata item is linked and Pages are improved|
|3||To Engage existing editors||20 existing users engaged|
- Number of participants: 10 participants
- Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons: At least 600 images
- Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects: Minimum of 300 images and maximum of 400 images.
Please report on your original project targets. Please be sure to review and provide metrics required for Rapid Grants.
|Number of images||Category|
- More files uploaded to Wikimedia Commons during the photowalk can all be seen here on Category:Photowalk in Northern Nigeria Category:Photowalk_in_Northern_Nigeria
|In person training|
|Some best photo walk images taken|
Projects do not always go according to plan. Sharing what you learned can help you and others plan similar projects in the future. Help the movement learn from your experience by answering the following questions:
What worked well
- What worked well? We have successfully completed the photo walk in four states of Hausa land, we have taken shots of the number of pictures we have targeted and the major places, all uploaded to Wikimedia Commons.
What didn't worked well
- What did not work so well? Unfortunately, for some places snapping pictured is not allowed, while almost all other places require permission before taking shots, so we got caught in Nigerian College of Aviation and Technology Zaria, we spent like 12 hours before we got released. Due to insecurities and bandits expansion in Nigeria, especially Northern Nigeria, we experience difficulties in moving freely, Community members are very alerted and suspicious of anything they've seen around them, so showing camera in public is very risky, because community members interrogate any movement they've seen suspicious, to protect themselves against bandits harm.
- Due to suspicion in Northern Nigerian communities, some pictures were not snapped by Camera, we use smart phones in snapping some places, though we used mobiles phones with 24 pixels equivalent to the cameras we have, we use smart phones to avoid interrogation and sending us away by the communities due to banditry and kidnapping reasons.
- I made a mistake in calculating the total amount of money to be spent during this project in both pro box and expense table, so I have no option than to manage the amount I have.
- I also forget to include the amount for medicals, while I complete the Risk Assessment by saying every precaution and care will be taken against Covid-19, so I have bought medical materials from my pocket.
- I also forget to include miscellaneous amount, I could have solve the problem.
- Hiring of Camera is rented per hour at 1000 NGN, so we rent three camera only for 15 hours for two days, making 90,000 NGN, so proceed our photo walk using smart phones for two reasons, one is due to the amount to rent the cameras exceeded our proposed budget, and two is because community members in Northern Nigeria are very alerted, suspicious and vigilante on every movement within the society as I made mention above, so using smart phones is convenient rather than using cameras
- What would you do differently next time? In the future,We will avoid carrying activities, trips and affairs that has to do with the general public during a time of extreme confusion and disorder.
Grant funds spent
Please describe how much grant money you spent for approved expenses, and tell us what you spent it on.
|s/n||Item||Proposed amount||Amount spent|
|7||Food and snacks||96,000||92,350|
|8||Food and snacks||60,000||66,800|
Do you have any remaining grant funds?
Anything else you want to share about your project?
No, there's nothing more.