Grants:Project/Rapid/Bashir/Wikitionary Editathon in Katsina/Report
Did you meet your goals? Are you happy with how the project went? Yes, we achieve our goals as in the process of the event, skills of both existing and new users were enhanced, more than 500 well detailed words were added to the dictionary.
Please report on your original project targets. Please be sure to review and provide metrics required for Rapid Grants.
Projects do not always go according to plan. Sharing what you learned can help you and others plan similar projects in the future. Help the movement learn from your experience by answering the following questions:
- What worked well?
planning of the event went well as well as the number of turn ups as more than 20 participants attended the event.
- What did not work so well?
- Major problem we are facing here is timing. As most participants attended the event venue very late (11:00am instead of 9:00am) therefore we took longer time than we planned.
- Most of the new users were not familiar with how wikitionary works therefore it also took longer time to register them and to train them on how to create and make contributions.
- Some of the attendees are not really interested or are not willing to learn therefore the number of pages expected to be created more especially by new users are less
- What would you do differently next time?
- In response to problem 1 above, we will try much as possible to find a more condusive time (afternoon or evenings for the training. We will also emphasize more on timing.
- In response to problem 2, we will make sure to give a more emphasize on training and also create a guide for new users.
- As for the third, i think the best way is to create an interview/questionnare that will measure the extent of how users will be willing to continue contributing to the free encyclopedia.
Grant funds spent
Please describe how much grant money you spent for approved expenses, and tell us what you spent it on.
- Hall = 250 USD
Rent = 207 Maintenance & over time = 45
- Refreshment = 335 USD
Soft drinks = 90 USD Water = 62 USD Snacks = 183 USD
- Transportation = 400 USD
- Data subscriptions = 350 USD
- follow-up data & Projector rentals = 150 USD
- Certificates = 8USD x 25(participants) = 200 USD
Grand Total = 1685 USD spent out of 1700 USD
Do you have any remaining grant funds?
Yes, there's 15USD remaining and i would like to use it to subscribe for data to be used in adding audio files (actual pronounciation of words added on Hausa Wiktionary) during the event.
Anything else you want to share about your project? There was a major shift in the prices of goods and services in Nigeria, thus this leads to adjustment in the budget.
Pictures of the event can be found here Link
Event details can be found here Link
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|2 events online and offline||achieved||1 online meet-up and 1 online editathon were achieved.|
|12 participants (10 new editors)||achieved||around 23 people volunteered (16 new users)|
|500 articles to be created or improved||achieved||more than 505 words were created and many more were improved https://ha.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Gasar_Wikitionary_Editathon_in_Katsina#Kalmomi|