Grants:Project/Rapid/Jani Pereira/PETAR Expedition/Report
Did you meet your goals? Are you happy with how the project went?
Our goals included add and improve content of Wikimedia Commons, Wikidata, Wikipedia and Wikivoyage about PETAR. We are happy to say that we reach all of them and increase content about fauna and flora, geological formations and the structure or the park Alto Ribeira Tourist State Park (PETAR).
During our time in Iporanga we presented the Wiki to the local community (who has never had contact before) and they were able to add content to Wiki by themselves at the end of our interaction.
We had to overcome some obstacles before (weather), during (isolated locations and weather) and after (recover photos of damaged equipment) the photowalks, but the result has been worth it. We recruit new members from different professions (photographer, journalist, biologist) who contributed in their own way to the success of this project.
Please report on your original project targets.
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|500 photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons||More than 1200 photos c:Category:Expedição PETAR (fev 2020)||Even loosing two cameras, and a drone, we could suppress the amount that we had expected, we double the amount.|
|At least 100 photos in use||glamtools||We couldn't make a giant effort to do a massive inclusion of the photos across wikis, as even with a very expansive internet here in Brazil, 8 people using the same network to upload photos, was not the best strategy. But we reach the goal.|
|At least 5 drone photos of each place visited and 1 video compiling the registers of these tourist attractions||Well... we crashed the rented drone, see the video. (okay, was not entirely our responsibility one local guide was passing beyond the permitted hour, and ignored a landing drone.) So, we do not have that many drone photos.|
|Create or improve at least 50 Wikidata entries at Wikidata around fauna, flora, caves, waterfalls, the structure of the park existent at PETAR||https://w.wiki/LFz https://w.wiki/LG5 (caves that we included)||We smashed the prevision, only caves we created more than 400 items. And we also include and improve entries of animals, plants, and even some cultural heritage of the cities.|
|Improve, update and translate (English and Portuguese) 10~ Wikivoyage and 10~ Wikipedia articles in each edit-a-thon about PETAR, Iporanga and the region to which they belong (Vale do Ribeira)||we heavily improved the PETAR articles at Wikivoyage, creating the articles about the Park cores at WY in Portuguese, so improving 1, and create 4 more, and translated to English. We also created several cave pages at Wikipedia, with around 6K bytes each (i.e w:pt:Caverna Santana).|
|Number of participants: 10~ participants in each edit-a-thon and photowalk||6 at edit-a-thon 9 at "photowalk"||Changing the date of the edit-a-thon, diminish the participate numbers, also we lost to important Scientific advances one of our photographers.|
- Side outcome
Gender gap achievement, we had more than 50% of woman contributing, and participating in our activities, in all levels.
Second edit-a-thon, upload of photos
First edit-a-thon, local community
Projects do not always go according to plan. Sharing what you learned can help you and others plan similar projects in the future. Help the movement learn from your experience by answering the following questions:
- What worked well?
- One of the greatest achievements of this project was the partnership with PETAR and Iporanga city representatives. We had all the support during construction of the expedition, an example of their contribution is the suggestion of guides to divide volunteers in two groups, on this way we were able to register more places, 60 km apart from each other.
- What did not work so well?
- In Southeastern of Brazil the wet season at occur at Summer, for that reason we had to reschedule the expedition more than once due to unfavourable weather. Rainy days influences both photographic activity and functioning of the park. When is heavy raining some areas are closed, trails became dangerously slippery, some caves flood, and the Parks rivers increases their already strong drifts.
- Even not doing the expedition at the peak of rainy days, we suffer the consequences of the accumulation of water from the previous days. The trails and the river were muddy, some caves had a high volume of water and constant leaks, which damaged the equipment (one camera stopped working and drones could not be used outside caves).
- We knew those possibilities, however this February was particularly rainier than normal, actually the rainier in 77 years of measurements, in our get back we took several hours more to return home, as São Paulo was complete under water news in EN, some photos, so even we being able to calculate the risks, this was over the board, beyond our predictions.
- That is us (we have more videos):
- What would you do differently next time?
- Although we photographed the parks for three days, we did not register all tourist sites. To enhance the amount of information about the park, we could increase the days of activities and engage the local community by giving photography workshops, especially the guides who work in the park day by day.
Grant funds spent
Please describe how much grant money you spent for approved expenses, and tell us what you spent it on.
|Date||Value (BRL)||Value (USD)||Description|
|January 13, 2020||3532,36||832,00||Total received|
|January 13, 2020||13,42||3,16||IOF|
|January 13, 2020||90,00||21,20||Tax|
|January 28, 2020||120,12||28,29||Food and drinks|
|February 5, 2020||319,26||75,20||Food and drinks|
|February 5, 2020||960,00||226,12||Photographic accessories - Drones|
|February 5, 2020||106,00||24,97||First aid kits|
|February 6, 2020||150,00||35,33||Equipment in Iporanga/PETAR|
|February 6, 2020||146,31||34,46||Expenses São Paulo to PETAR|
|February 6, 2020||94,70||22,31||Meal|
|February 7, 2020||400,00||94,22||Expenses São Paulo to PETAR|
|February 7, 2020||14,58||3,43||Food and drinks|
|February 7, 2020||182,00||42,87||Food and drinks|
|February 8, 2020||55,00||12,95||Food and drinks|
|February 8, 2020||13,00||3,06||Food and drinks|
|February 8, 2020||13,50||3,18||Food and drinks|
|February 9, 2020||121,42||28,60||Expenses PETAR to São Paulo|
|February 9, 2020||50,13||11,81||Expenses PETAR to São Paulo|
|February 9, 2020||95,90||22,59||Food and drinks|
|February 9, 2020||67,26||15,84||Food and drinks|
|February 10, 2020||200,00||47,11||Expenses PETAR to São Paulo|
|February 10, 2020||17,98||4,23||Expenses PETAR to São Paulo|
|February 10, 2020||57,50||13,54||Food and drinks|
|February 10, 2020||18,00||4,24||Food and drinks|
|February 10, 2020||84,00||19,79||Food and drinks|
|February 16, 2020||142,00||33,45||Food and drinks|
Food of second edit-a-thon
Gather of the first edit-a-thon, photographers and local community
Yes, we like pizza, in this case, the only option open
Road food, very Brazilian
Part of our breakfast provide by the partner
Do you have any remaining grant funds?
Anything else you want to share about your project?
The region where PETAR is located, Vale do Ribeira, has many natural and cultural wonders. We hope that this project is just the beginning of a partnership that will benefit local and global community.
We also like to point out that this photos was very hard to bring home, it was an amazing adventure, and we have brave volunteers. Ask about walk in underwear to not get all wet to some volunteers, and you will listen some very good stories.
And no, the snake was warmness (we have photos of other two that could kill us), but the spider could kill an adult or "can cause an erection that lasts for several hours" (Wikipedia), however an wasp paralyse it, do not spread the secret on how we get the shoot shhh.
Thank you to support this project.