Grants:Project/Rapid/Jani Pereira/WLE BR 2020/Report
Did you meet your goals? Are you happy with how the project went?
Yes, we were successful in increasing the quantity of quality images from Brazilian Protected Natural sites and from many places for the first time. The photographs were sent by many participants, both new and old.
Please report on your original project targets. Please be sure to review and provide metrics required for Rapid Grants.
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|100 participants||+ 360||The Wiki loves Tool was not proper setup (), and the number of uploads is incorrect there. We lost the track of how many, but, there are more than 360 uploaders.|
|1500 of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons||6660||After the cleaning up, we achieve the remarkable number o 6660 photos uploaded. The Wiki loves Tool was not proper setup (), and the number of uploads is incorrect there.|
|50 of photos used on Wikimedia projects||533 on total||We had a lot of new places, do to the work of our team to include all natural heritages in federal level, for that reason we overcome the target.|
Projects do not always go according to plan. Sharing what you learned can help you and others plan similar projects in the future. Help the movement learn from your experience by answering the following questions:
- What worked well?
- We managed to reach a number of participants and photographs much larger than expected. We attribute this success to the means of dissemination such as our social media campaign and articles on travel and photography sites.
- We had created thousands of new entries to the Wikidata, and created a very good structure to the next contest, and also a great educational content. Moreover, we had a lot of living beans identified. And several new locations and species illustrated at Wikimedia Movement.
- What did not work so well?
- The sitenotice and the campaign have a very low bus factor, and the volunteer responsible for the start (selected by the international committed), had some issues, what created some small issues, closing and opening the contest wrongly.
- The previous organizer has not properly listed all Natural Heritages, for that reason we had to deal with this. The database of the Brazilian Protected Natural site needed to be built from scratch, and we had to individually check the differences between the government own websites.
- We received fewer images of isolated places with great biodiversity, such as the North of the country, despite our mediatic effort focused on it.
- COVID-19 affected our execution during and after the contest. Considering the safety of the participants, we encourage people to send us old photos and not to visit new places. And the planned to complete the contest on an integration journey between Wikimedia members and contest winners was exchange to simple and boring gift cards.
- What would you do differently next time?
- Invest even more in other forms of dissemination of the contest to the remotest places in the country.
- Organize marathons to identify species of fauna and flora and inclusion of images on other Wiki platforms.
- We didn't have the opportunity to meet the contest winners this year due to COVID-19, but we plan to hold an online meeting next time to celebrate everyone's participation.
Grant funds spent
Please describe how much grant money you spent for approved expenses, and tell us what you spent it on.
Item Quantity Rate (USD) Total (USD) Prize for Best Photographs - Gift card 2 250 + 250 500
Do you have any remaining grant funds?
Yes, we did not spend the “Expedition with the Wikimedia Community” (1000 USD). It was canceled due to COVID-19 protection measures.
We would like to suggest another way to use the funds to be approved by the WMF. We are currently carrying out the project "Indigenous and Brazilian quilombolas tell their story" with the participation of diverse communities. We have recorded dialects that are very different from our language (personally, I have no idea what they are talking about!) and we would like to translate and subtitle the videos with the help of people from the communities themselves. The rest of the fund of WLE would be our way of contributing to the translation work they would do.
Winners and Top 10
Parque Nacional dos Lençóis Maranhenses
Área de Proteção Ambiental do Arquipélago de Trindade e Martim Vaz
Myiornis auricularis (miudinho) na Reserva Biológica Estadual do Aguaí
Aplastodiscus arildae no Parque Nacional de Caparao
Lucas Rosado Mendonça
Estação Ecológica de Santa Bárbara
Parque Estadual Cristalino
THEREZA COLLOR HALBREICH
Reserva Biológica do Uatumã
Cesar Augusto Chirosa Horie
Parque Estadual do Jalapão
Beija-flor topetinho-vermelho (Lophornis magnificus) no Parque Nacional do Itatiaia
Reinaldo Teixeira de Medeiros Júnior
Reserva Particular do Patrimônio Natural Reserva Ecológica Rio Bonito de Lumiar
João Gabriel Pannunzio
Anything else you want to share about your project?