Grants:Project/Rapid/Kaizenify/Photography at Lagos city marathon and AMVCA award/Report
Did you meet your goals? Are you happy with how the project went?
For the most I met the goals and I'm happy with how the project went.
There's an increase of quality content of Commons, Wikidata and language projects. There are more articles illustrated by high quality images. Nigerian bands, actors and artist in particular have now had images added to the articles. This project has replaced several articles that had poor quality (typically legacy mobile phone photographs, blurry photographs or photographs taken of a group of people to illustrate an single artist article). The project has taken care in making sure female subjects are not under-represented through planning, photographing and using images. Images has also been added to artist's entry at Wikidata so they will automatically be included in future articles.
Through this project Wikimedia Nigeria has increased the contact with organisers of awards show and events. This can be helpful for future events and projects.
Please report on your original project targets.
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|an increase of donated, free images of musical artists. More than 200||Totally 217 photographs made and donated (192 images from AMVCA 2020, 25 images from Lagos Marathon 2020)||This target was met. And more images are still expected to be upload for the Marathon.|
|more Wikipedia articles will be illustrated by high quality portraits. Photos used in more than 50 articles across various Wikipedia Language projects||45 distinct images used on 61 pages in 13 wiki-projects (languages) and 8 distinct images used on 7 pages in 6 wiki-projects (languages) with a total of 53 distinct images used on 68 pages in 19 wiki-projects (languages)||This was met and exceeded|
|Number of events : 2 Events||The two events was represented||This was met as the 2 events was covered|
Projects do not always go according to plan. Sharing what you learned can help you and others plan similar projects in the future. Help the movement learn from your experience by answering the following questions:
- What worked well?
- Organizing and executing the project went well
- It strengthen the relationship between Nigerian entertainment and Wikimedia Nigeria commnunity even more.
- Cooperation with the event organizer was good
- It further reduce the gender gap awareness for under representation of female artists and actors.
- Brought other Nigerian photographers into contributing to the Wikimedia project.
- Community integration.
- What did not work so well?
- There was heavy downpour during the Lagos marathon which obstructed some photo ducumentation as a result of the rain.
- Post processing of metadata (file name, caption, categories) for upload was more labour intensive.
- Getting identity of some of the artists and actors was also tasking
- The organizers of the AMVCA didnt allow photograh in the award event hall.
- Late arrival of funds as some of the nearby hotels were already booked.
- Change of event day by the organizers.
- What would you do differently next time?
- Will bring protective rain gears for my gadget next time
- Start the process earlier, including apply for grants earlier
- Consider how the community can be involved in adding metadata to the photographs.
- Propose a seperate project plan for the use of the photos on corresponding Wikipedia articles.
|Item||Quantity||Rate (NGN)||Total (NGN)||Total (USD)||Notes|
|Internet||1||22500||22,500||73.77||This was used for the internet and quite useful for uploads|
|For Lagos city marathon|
|Transportation||2||15,400||30,800||100.98||This covered the cost of transportation of me and Eukoha to the hotel and also to the marathon start point to and fro. The idea of using public government bus made it cheaper.|
|Accommodation||2||25,000||50,000||163.93||This covered the cost of hotel fee for me and Eukoha|
|Meals||2||10,000||20,000||65.57||This coverered the cost of food and drinks for the day and night.|
|For AMVCA Award|
|Transportation||2||12,500||25,000||81.52||This covered the cost of transportation for two personnel to and fro. The idea of using public government bus made it cheaper.|
|Accommodation||4||20,000||80,000||262.29||We had to book for one extra night more so we can attend the after-party for photo documentation and also used the opportunuty to network with a whole lot of photographers which ended to become very useful.|
|Meals||4||7,000||28,000||91.80||This covered the cost of feeding for the two days.|
Grant funds spent
A total of 256,300 Nigerian naira (840.32 USD) was spent
Do you have any remaining grant funds?
- Yes, a total of 20.27$ only was left
Propose to add it to my next grant
Anything else you want to share about your project?