Grants:Project/Rapid/Maffeth Opiana/Wiki Loves Earth 2019 in the Philippines/Report
Did you meet your goals? Are you happy with how the project went?
The 2nd edition of Wiki Loves Earth in the Philippines was conducted to promote the natural heritage sites of the Philippines. Filipino Wikimedians organized a photo tour in Virac in Catanduanes, Burias Island in Masbate, and at Taal Volcano in Batangas province. An edit-a-thon was conducted by PhilWiki Community members to use the images in the 2019 and 2018 contest on Wikipedia. The awarding ceremony was held on August 3 in Naga City.
- April 25 - PHWC conducted a Wiki Loves Earth in the Philippines 2019 photo walk and an outreach activity in Catanduanes attended by around 50 elementary and high school teacher in Social Studies.
- May 17 - Conducted Wiki Loves Earth Philippines 2019 photo walk in San Pascual, Masbate.
- June 22 - An edit-a-thon during the Wiki Loves Earth in the Philippines 2019 was conducted by PhilWiki Community members to use the images in the 2019 and 2018 contest on Wikipedia. The activity was held at Raul S. Roco Naga City Public Library.
- June 25 - Ira Villanueva led a Wiki Loves Earth Philippines 2019 photo walk on Taal volcano in Batangas participated by photographers.
- June 30 - The community collaborated with Nueva Caceres Heritage Movement, Kintab Artists Group, Sumaro Bikolnon, Partido State University and the City Government of Naga in celebration of the Philippine-Spanish Friendship Day. An art exhibit participated by some members of PhilWiki Community who are also into visual arts joined the Katood Art Exhibit.
- August 3 - Wiki Loves Earth 2019 in the Philippines awarding ceremony held in Naga City.
Please report on your original project targets.
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|Number of participants: 50||131||Met the target due to popularity of the contest|
|Number of photos uploaded on Wikimedia Commons: 1000||855||See commons:Category:Images from Wiki Loves Earth 2019 in the Philippines. Did not meet due to late conduct of Outreach Programs|
|Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects: 100||155||Met the target due to edit-a-thon|
Projects do not always go according to plan. Sharing what you learned can help you and others plan similar projects in the future. Help the movement learn from your experience by answering the following questions:
- What worked well? We had a successful selection of qualified photos using Montage introduced by our team member Krishna. Last WLE 2018, we had a problem on the selection process. Some photos were not included in the competition.
- What did not work so well? We did not receive the funding of the grant on time. Because of this, we couldn't conduct outreach programs and follow the timeline. Not receiving the fund on time made a huge impact in our outreach activities.
- What would you do differently next time? Submit the previous report on time and contact the grant team for further queries. Next time, I am planning to involve more organizations or stakeholders to help the team in promoting the contest.
Grant funds spent
Please describe how much grant money you spent for approved expenses, and tell us what you spent it on.
- 1 USD = PHP 51.87 (as of April 13, 2019 according to www.oanda.com)
- Project budget table
|No.||Item||Quantity||Rate (PHP)||Total (PHP)/(USD)||Total (USD)||Notes|
|1||Community outreach activities||2||PHP 10,000.00||PHP 20,000.00
|Conducted photo walks in Batangas and Masbate, editing and advocacy activities in Naga|
|2||Social media promotion||1||PHP 2,000.00||PHP 2,000.00
|Too late for social media promotion|
|1st prize: hohem iSteadyGear 3-Axis Handheld Gimbal Stabilizer 5.5Lbs Payload/ Timelapse/ Motion Memory/ APP Control with Remote + Tripod + Carry Case for Canon Nikon Sony DSLR Camera (PHP 15,999.00; USD 308.44)|
2nd prize: FeiyuTech G6 Plus 3-Axis Handheld Gimbal Stabilizer for Mirrorless Camera Pocket Camera GoPro Smartphone Payload 800g Feiyu G6P (PHP 12,678.00; USD 244.42)
3rd prize: Toshiba Canvio Basics (new) 2TB USB 3.0 Portable External Hard Drive (Black), Super Speed Slim Storage with 3 YEARS WARRANTY (PHP 4,159.00; USD 81.18)
Special prize: Toshiba Canvio Basics (new) 2TB USB 3.0 Portable External Hard Drive (Black), Super Speed Slim Storage with 3 YEARS WARRANTY (PHP 4,159.00; USD 81.18)
|5||Launching and awarding ceremonies||2||varies||PHP 14,000.00
|Venue and foods for the attendees (20 pax each)|
|PHP 12,788.70<br<USD 246.55||Logistics, meetings and unexpected expenses|
|7||Contingency cost||PHP 17,200.00
|Travel and accommodation of at least one winner, who is not from Bicol region (awarding to be held in Naga City); courier for the trophies to other winners who could not attend the ceremony; office supplies; miscellaneous|
|Total Budget: PHP 103,700.00 (USD 1,999.23) |
Note: Typo in the total amount (PHP 107,700.00); received fund amounting to PHP 101,247.19 (USD 1,951.94)
|TOTAL EXPENSE: PHP 103,796.02 (USD 2001.08)|
Do you have any remaining grant funds? There is no remaining grant funds.
Anything else you want to share about your project?
Most number of quality photographs: Allan Jay Quesada