Grants:Project/Rapid/Mahveotm/Lagos State University, Epe Edit-a-thon/Contest/Report
Did you meet your goals? Are you happy with how the project went? We met our goals in every area and exceeded them. I'm super happy about the way the project went!
Please report on your original project targets.
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|At least 30 people participate||50 persons participated in the event||50 students participated in programme. After publicity, we got over 80 students interested in the event but could only accept 50 due to limited resources.|
|If at least 20 new articles are created||64 articles were created||Over 60 articles were created which represents over 300% increase in the target. Students were enthusiastic and thrilled they could create artices on the worlds leading encyclopedia and wasted not time at that. It was even possible to be more if not for forthcoming exams|
|If at least 20 new editors are recruited||30 editors have continued to show interest.||Around 30 editors have continued to show interest in Wikimedia projects of which they all have an account. Members of the club were also the attendees of the African Wikimedia Developers conference that was held hence broadening their scope of Wikimedia. Some have shown interest in the Technical aspect and are been walked through it off wiki(i.e phabricator, mailing list, IRC and other channels).|
|A fans club is begun at the Lagos State University.||A fans club has been begun at the Lagos State University and has been given wide publicity and acceptability, sometimes from members of staff.|
Projects do not always go according to plan. Sharing what you learned can help you and others plan similar projects in the future. Help the movement learn from your experience by answering the following questions:
- What worked well?
- Experienced editors were on ground to answer difficult questions presented by the students.
- The school management supported the idea after explanation and the hall was procured entirely free of charge.
- The president of Wikimedia Usergroup Nigeria was around to assist in coordinating the event and offered valuable advise when consulted.
- Media crew from JWY TV station were available for live coverage of the event to it's over 1 m Nigerian audience. This was part of a partnership sealed with the President of the User Group.
- Students interest in the event was not waned even after postponing it for about three times.
- What did not work so well?
- Kayusyussuf, an experienced editor who was suppose to deliver a speech on the basics of Wikipedia was not available. This was due to it's repeated postponement, as was also hosting an event on that same day somewhere else. We tried to connect via Skype for his speech but had gadget issues.
- I wasn't aware that banks in Nigeria uses the CBN exchange rate, so i got a substantially lower amount than was budgeted. I mailed rapid grants once I noticed the discrepancies and was told to see if we could do with what we have which I tried, but since some purchases have been made earlier and not to affect the event further, we secured extra funds from other means.
- What would you do differently next time?
- I would ensure I was absolutely sure of the exchange rate and confirm with my bank before anything
- I would fix a date in which invited speakers would be free and available to attend.
Grant funds spent
Please describe how much grant money you spent for approved expenses, and tell us what you spent it on.
|Item(s)||Number||Unit price||Total NGN||Notes|
|Feeding(facilitators from outside Lagos)||2||10000||20000||Paid cash, not receipted|
|Hosting of Editathon ( Venue)||1||free||-||-|
|Printed Wikipedia materials||lot||80 000||Receipted|
|Interstate travel||2||15000||30000||paid cash, not receipted|
|Intrastate travel||2||10000||20000||paid cash, not receipted|
|Wikiacademics contest||1||100000||100000||signed agreement form|
|Power supply/public address system||1||30000||30000||not receipted|
Do you have any remaining grant funds? No, we are currently even having a deficit of N40 000 which I hope to account for in our next grant request.
Anything else you want to share about your project?
Images from the event can be viewed here