Grants:Project/Rapid/Online Hausa Wikipedia awareness/Report
Did you meet your goals? Are you happy with how the project went?
Yes, We successfully meet our goals, the goals that we made mention in Grants:Project/Rapid/Online Hausa Wikipedia awareness, the goals are meet, as we carried out the promotional campaign online on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Whatsapp, as the campaign reach to many Hausa community online.
Yes, We are extremely happy that we carried out this project online, the fact that we expose Hausa Wikipedia to Hausa community, We are contacted at various level by Hausa community extending their gratitude to us for promoting Hausa Wikipedia, which will share a free knowledge to Hausa people in their native language. Also, We feel grateful that Hausa community consider us as heroes that dedicate a lot for developing Hausa tribe as Hausa Wikimedians.
Please report on your original project targets. Please be sure to review and provide metrics required for Rapid Grants.
|All contents related files and information of Online Hausa Wikipedia Awareness can be find here: Online Hausa Wikipedia Awareness|
or in Wikimedia Commons https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Online_Hausa_Wikipedia_Awareness
- according to how online users express their interest and willingness.
- Note That is I can register 15 users to above.
- To increase number of viewers visiting Hausa Wikipedia, many Hausa community does no know about Hausa Wikipedia, through this promotional campaign, I and those that will volunteer in carrying this project will promote Hausa Wikipedia to huge amount of online users.
- To have new members in Hausa Wikimedian Usergroup.
- To have many videos, images and PDF that can be use continuously to promote Hausa Wikipedia online and offline, which will serve as a guidelines and tutorial to edit, read and become an editor in Hausa Wikipedia, even after the awareness is done.
- To create one article by each new users obtain during the promotional campaign in Hausa Wikipedia. by providing hash tag of #Hausa Wikipedia online awareness in their edit summary.
- To create Video tutorials, to be uploaded to Wikimedia Commons for on-Wiki and off-Wiki usage.
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation||Reference|
|Goal 1: To have atleast minimum of 15 new users or maximum of 30 new users||Registered over 120 new users|| |
|Goal 2: To have new members in Hausa Wikimedian User Usergroup|
|Goal 3 and 5: To create images, videos and PDF files||All files can be found here--||Category/Online_Hausa_Wikipedia_Awareness or here in Meta Online Hausa Wikipedia Awareness|
|Goal 4: To create article|||
|1||To register new users||Registered||Target reached.|
|2||To have new members in HW||Obtain||Target reached.|
|3||Increased Pageviews||Iincreased||Target reached.|
|4||To create files: videos, images and PDF||Created||Target reached.|
|5||To create article||Created||Target reached.|
|Metric 1: Site analysis/Page views|
|Metric 2: New registered users analysis|
- New users
According to the statement I made in the discussion page, I said "To have atleast minimum of 15 new users or maximum of 30 new users, according to how online users express their interest and willingness"
- As of August to September 2020, I successfully obtain over 120 new users in Hausa Wikipedia. while many more new users are still registering in Hausa Wikipedia, as it can be seen here in Hausa Wikipedia user creation log.
- I contacted new users on-Wiki, off-Wiki and online, and I succesfully obtain 20 people that I stay in torch with them, part of whom there are men, female and fulfulde native speakers.
|Metric 3:Articles created in Hausa Wikipedia using the hash tag #OHWA|
|Metric 4: Monthly increase and Articles created in Hausa Wikipedia using the hash tag #OHWA|
Projects do not always go according to plan. Sharing what you learned can help you and others plan similar projects in the future. Help the movement learn from your experience by answering the following questions:
- What worked well?
Anything related to financial expenses worked well, like transportation, feeding, data, and shooting of videos. also, things goes as we planned it, only a little bit of changes that goes beyond our expectations, which lead to increase and decrease in our plan, such of this increase and decrease lead us to success.
- What did not work so well?
- Due to Covid-19 situation, we experience problem in finding suitable shooting locations to avoid risk and spread of Covid-19, which lead us to using of face mask, Hand sanitiser and emergency contact in case of any accidental problem which might arise unexpectedly.
- Weather condition (raining seasoning): The weather we have during August and September in our location affect the process of carrying the campaign perfectly, as result of poor network communication during raining season.
- duration of campaign videos : we experience difficulties in uploading full duration of the video files on Twitter, Whattsapp and Instagram, this is because on these social medias, they have limited duration of video you can upload, and it only come to our notice when we are trying to upload the videos, as a result of this, we have to cut the videos into places to make sure that all the videos are uploaded, especially the third video of Question and answer Online_Hausa_Wikipedia_Awareness_video_2.webm.
- Video conversion: converting of the videos to webm format, which is not supported on Instagram. The conversion also lead to increase of video sizes and decrease of good display resolution.
- What would you do differently next time?
- Thinking of doing something better for Hausa community in Hausa Wikipedia, for the benefit of Hausa people and Wikimedia Foundation in term of sharing free knowledge in Hausa language.
Grant funds spent
Please describe how much grant money you spent for approved expenses, and tell us what you spent it on.
|1||Images and PDF design||110,000||NGN||This is the graphic design of images and PDF.|
|2||Transportation||50,000||NGN||The total amount spent for transportation all over the campaign period.|
|3||Feeding||39,900||NGN||The amount spent for feeding.|
|4||Data connectivity||112,600||NGN||The amount spent for data connectivity through out the campaign|
|5||Video coverage||140,000||NGN||Shooting expenses|
|6||Medicals||22,500||NGN||This is not part of the grant budget, but we decided to make a bargain, to obtain surplus that can be used for medical precaution, war against Covid-19.|
|7||Unaccountable expense||20,000||NGN||This is the amount of money spent for small expenses or necessary unexpected|
|Total||495,000||NGN||The grand total spent during the promotional campaign|
Do you have any remaining grant funds?
No we don't have any remaining funds, all the funds have been used.
Anything else you want to share about your project?
- Hausa Wikipedia is indeed developing as we are currently having a lot of users from different locations that are putting effort on it. This is due to your help and sponsorship of all projects, we said thank you supporting Hausa Wikipedia and Wikimedia movement at large.
- Also as I said earlier in the grants discussion page that I will stay in torch with the number of users that I have registered in Hausa Wikipedia to teach and guide them on how to edit Hausa Wikipedia, here I open and Hausa Wiki Class in meta, to be with them until they have experience in the major wikimedia sister projects online and offline.
- As a result of this project, I get an experience on how to create video tutorial in Hausa language for better understanding to Hausa users, which I will keep on creating video tutorials in Hausa language for the benefit of Hausa Wikipedia and Wikimedia movements.
- As a result of this project Fulani/Fulfulde language speakers contacted me showing their interest to contribute in their native language, as Hausa and Fulani language are merge together historically, sharing the same culture. first. I create a whattsapp group for them. secondly, we meet in person and we have discussion on what Wikipedia is all about, thirdly I show them the way through by explaining the basics of editing Wikipedia. fourthly, I register some users in Fulfulde Wikipedia, currently we are planning on how to create a user group for them after they have reach the criteria required for user group creation.