The 2do editatón de lenguas indígenas was an edit-a-thon that took place in Maracaibo, Venezuela between the 6th and 7th of December of 2019. The event was part of the Wikimedia Venezuela campaign to make visible our local indigenous languages and culture, especially that of the Wayú people.
Did you meet your goals? Are you happy with how the project went?
- Recruit new editors and volunteers: we expect to attract at least 25 new Wikipedia editors and engage at least 5 new volunteers for our organization.
14 new editors participated in the edit-a-thon during both days. Despite the limitations of the Incubator Wikipedia in Wayú, most of the edits came from this site. During the event we collected all the useful data to mantain a stable communication in the coming months for new events in the region.
- Increase skills for existing editors: we open the invitation for participants of the previous editathons of 2018.
Three participants who had participated in last year event, repeat the experience this year and clarified doubts about the wiki process along the way.
- Increase the awareness towards the effort to create a Wikipedia in the wayuu language
It was really important for us to close 2019 in a high note, and this event gave us more than we hoped for the next year, from the reception, to the local volunteers and newcomers we consider that we moved the needle in the direction to have a Wikipedia in Wayú sometime in the future, and we need the support of all the community in both parts of the border in order to this to happen.
- Add or improve content: add & improve content about native cultures of Venezuela, with special focus in the wayuu people.
Most of the articles created and improved focused on the Wayú culture, the local geography and natural and historical monuments of the region.
- Improve a total of 10 different articles during the editathon.
According to the metrics, the participants made edits in 23 different articles during the dates of the event, both in Spanish and Wayuunaiki.
Please report on your original project targets.
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|Number of events: 2||Number of events: 2||Result reached|
|Number of participants: 25||Number of participants: 17||The result was less than the original goal. See Learning for analysis|
|Number of new editors: 15||Number of new editors: 14||The result was less than the original goal. See Learning for analysis|
|Number of of articles created or improved: 10||Number of of articles created or improved: 23||Result reached|
|Number of repeat participants (for projects that include a series of events): 5||Number of repeat participants (for projects that include a series of events): 3||The result was less than the original goal. See Learning for analysis|
Projects do not always go according to plan. Sharing what you learned can help you and others plan similar projects in the future. Help the movement learn from your experience by answering the following questions:
- What worked well?
- The space of the event worked pretty well, better than we expected. The participants were able to use the platform without energy or internet interruptions.
- The new interactive presentation was really helpful to help explain newcomers how to edit Wikipedia.
- The communication networks established in the previous event were maintained and helped to fill the venue.
- What did not work so well?
- The dates, we scheduled the event in the first week of Christmas break, so the attendance was a little below of what we expected.
- The different venues, because one of the sites didn't open on saturdays and the other was booked the day before.
- What would you do differently next time?
- The bilingual speakers were eager to translate but didn't found enough suggested articles to do so, in next events we need to make a bigger compendium of articles (at least 100).
Grant funds spent
Please describe how much grant money you spent for approved expenses, and tell us what you spent it on.
|Date||Receipt Number||Expense Description||Amount (VES)||Amount (USD)|
|11-26-19||1||Transportation - Venezolana||726,399.84||18|
|12-05-19||3||Transportation - Taxi||664,000.00||17|
|12-06-19||4||Transportation - Carpool||6,000,000.00||150|
|12-05-19||6||Food and Drinks||122,000.00||3|
|12-06-19||9||Transportation - Carpool||6,250,000.00||156|
|12-07-19||13||Transportation - Carpool||6,250,000.00||156|
|12-07-19||17||Transportation - Carpool||6,000,000.00||150|
|13-07-19||17||Transportation - Taxi||3,000,000.00||75|
Do you have any remaining grant funds?
No. Our volunteers provided the difference between the grant and the final amount from their own funds.
Anything else you want to share about your project?