Grants:Project/Rapid/TRahman/WLE Bangladesh 2019/Report
As part of the international contest, Bangladesh organized international Wiki Loves Earth photography competition for the third time in 2019. The topic of the contest was to upload pictures of local natural heritage and scenic landscape/wildlife at protected areas of the country. The main motivation behind participating the competition is that most of the protected area in Bangladesh haven't had the photographs under the free license when we started to participate this contest 2 years ago and we wanted to create a database of freely licensed photographs of all the protected sites of Bangladesh in Wikimedia Commons; Wiki Loves Earth offered an unique opportunity in this regard. The competition generated over 7300 photographs of 49 protected sites since 2017 and 1645 pictures uploaded this year alone.
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|Number of participants: 200||257||Because of a good press coverage the participation rate had been increased.|
|Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons: 2000||almost 2000||After a month-long competition during June 2019, Bangladeshi participants uploaded almost 2000 freely licensed photographs of 49 different sites (out of 56) in Wikimedia Commons. After our initial screening 1645 photographs fall into the contest scope but rest of them is still useful for Commons educational value.|
|Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects: 400||260+||This photography contest had specific scope; listed protected sites only. Before the competition, there were only a handful of sites of Bangladesh that had photographs available on the internet and those sites were mostly from major cities and localities, let alone the availability of freely licensed photographs. After the contest out of 56, 49 of them now have pictures.|
|New user engaged: 0||214 (83%)||We initially thought 50% of the participants will be new to Wikimedia projects but because of a good press coverage the participation rate had been increased to 83%.|
- Daily Kaler Kantho (Bengali): আবারও শুরু হচ্ছে ‘উইকি লাভস আর্থ’ (web archive) - 29.05.2019
- Dainik Purbokone (Bengali): উইকিপিডিয়া আলোকচিত্র প্রতিযোগিতা শুরু হচ্ছে বাংলাদেশে (web archive) - 29.05.2019
- Daily protidiner kagoj (Bengali):শুরু হচ্ছে উইকিপিডিয়া আলোকচিত্র প্রতিযোগিতা (web archive) - 29.05.2019
- Daily Prothom Alo (Bengali): আবার ‘উইকি লাভস আর্থ’ ছবি প্রতিযোগিতা (web archive) - 28.05.2019
- Daily Samakal (Bengali): উইকিপিডিয়ার মাসব্যাপী ছবি প্রতিযোগিতা শুরু শনিবার (web archive) - 28.05.2019
- Daily Naya Diganta (Bengali): আবার শুরু হচ্ছে ‘উইকি লাভস আর্থ’ ছবি প্রতিযোগিতা (web archive) - 31.05.2019
- jagonews24 (Bengali): শুরু হচ্ছে উইকিপিডিয়া আলোকচিত্র প্রতিযোগিতা (web archive) - 28.05.2019
- Daily Bangladesh (Bengali): উইকিপিডিয়ার ছবি প্রতিযোগিতা শুরু (web archive) - 28.05.2019
- cnewsvoice (Bengali): শুরু হচ্ছে ‘উইকি লাভস আর্থ’ ছবি প্রতিযোগিতা (web archive) - 28.05.2019
- mangotv (Bengali): দেশে আবার শুরু হচ্ছে ‘উইকি লাভস আর্থ’ ছবি প্রতিযোগিতা (web archive) - 28.05.2019
- RaisingBD (Bengali): বাংলাদেশে আবার শুরু হচ্ছে উইকিপিডিয়ার ছবি প্রতিযোগিতা (web archive) - 27.05.2019
Projects do not always go according to plan. Sharing what you learned can help you and others plan similar projects in the future. Help the movement learn from your experience by answering the following questions:
- What worked well?
The press coverage about the event in local online and print media helped get more participation from around the country. We also reached local photography clubs and pursue them to participate. After a month-long competition during June 2019, a total of 257 Bangladeshi participants uploaded more than 1900+ freely licensed photographs of 49+ different sites in Wikimedia Commons. Among all the participants, few of them were women. About 260+ of all the photographs uploaded in the contest are now being used in Wikimedia projects.
Before this competition, there were only a handful of protected sites of Bangladesh that had photographs available on the internet and those sites were mostly from major cities and localities, let alone the availability of freely licensed photographs. The competition turned the situation into a better state. As people from various regions and districts participated in the competition, many of the less known sites were photographed alongside the better known ones.
- What did not work so well?
The initial review process took a while then we anticipated before.
- What would you do differently next time?
We'd motivate and ask more volunteers to help with the initial review before submitting them to the jury board.
Grant funds spent
Please describe how much grant money you spent for approved expenses, and tell us what you spent it on.
Do you have any remaining grant funds?
Anything else you want to share about your project?