Grants:Project/Rapid/Udehb/Wikidata for all/Report
Did you meet your goals? Are you happy with how the project went?
The project focused on increasing wikidata participation, promoting integration between wikidata and other wiki projects, recruiting new editors, increasing skills for existing editors in Igbo Wikimedians User Group, also add/improve contents on wikidata. And in that regard, I can boldly say YES the project goals were met, and I am happy with the outcome.
Please report on your original project targets.
A four day series of the workshop was planned. The first workshop was done, but unfortunately, the 2nd, 3rd and 4th was suspended due to the ongoing Covid-19 crisis. So in order not to kill the idea, we redesigned the initiative to an online workshop please visit our project documentation page for details.
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|Number of Events (4)||Number of Events (4)||1 offline and 3 online please click here for details.|
|Number of participants(10)||Number of participants(10+)||during the 1st event (offline) we had 15 participants, and during the online events, we had a total of 30 participants this includes people that joined and were logged out due internet issues.|
|Number of new editors(2)||Number of new editors(4+)||We exceeded the number of new editors targeted for the training.|
|Number of repeat participants(8)||Number of repeat participants(8+)||most of the participants that attended the events especially the online events were the ones that were in the previous training|
|100 edits||10 items created, 69 items added, 346 total edits||all this was achieved in just one week during the 1week challenge we had after the training, this metric can be found on the dashboard|
Projects do not always go according to plan. Sharing what you learned can help you and others plan similar projects in the future. Help the movement learn from your experience by answering the following questions:
- What worked well?
1. Transitioning from offline to online, was a success.
2. The idea/implementation of subsidizing the first 5 participants internet subscription ensured that participants were on-time for the events.
3. The one week challenge was also a success as it gave room for participants to add data in a competitive spirit. One I wish to adopt in future projects.
- What did not work so well?
1. During the online training, some participants had internet connection issues, which saw to them being on and off during the training. As a result, some were frustrated by it and did not reconnect after the experience of being logged out. Our workaround was to record each of the training sessions and post it on our project page
2. Training time on how to query wikidata using SPAQL language wasn't enough as most participants found it too technical and as such, I feel more event days would have been more appreciated.
3. During the day2 training, we had an intrusion which almost ruined the session for that day. A hacker/troll invaded the training on zoom. but as soon as we removed him, everything became good again
- What would you do differently next time?
1. Having a more extended training period (i.e. longer event days), especially on How to query wikidata.
2. also having a more extended challenge period will ensure more and more contents added plus more participant interest.
Grant funds spent
Please describe how much grant money you spent for approved expenses, and tell us what you spent it on.
The first event was on 8th March 2020; the second, third and fourth were suspended as a result of the pandemic. Unfortunately before the cancellation, all necessary payment for the second event had already been made as the email/notification of the cancellation came three days before the scheduled event. So in other not to let the project die down, we decided to take the workshop online. Below is the detail of the money spent :
The grant for the project received: 712,800 Naira.
Day 1 and Day 2 (Offline event) :
Venue for the events: 144,000 Naira
Food and Drinks: 158,400
Internet access : 36,000 Naira
Flyers and Miscellaneous: 23,000 Naira
Total : 361,400 Naira
For the Online Cont. of the project:
Zoom : 5,846.10 Naira
Internet access for mentors and admin: 140,000 Naira
Weekly Internet access for first 5 participants in each live event: 22,500 X 3(live event) : 67, 500 Naira
Prizes – 1st place 60,000 Naira gift-card,
2nd place 40,000 Naira gift-card,
3rd place 30,000 Naira gift-card
Total : 343,500 Naira
Total money spent: 704,746.1 Naira
Do you have any remaining grant funds?
8,053.9 Naira yes
Anything else you want to share about your project?
The project was a huge learning process for me as it was my first wiki project as a project lead collaborating with my community, Igbo Wikimedians User Group. It was an opportunity to gain experience in collaboration, event management, as well as facilitation (training) skills, both online and offline. Coordinating the project was a bit challenging. However, it was inspiring.