Grants:Project/Rapid/Wiki-agripo 5.0 : edit-a-thons on villages in the Adamawa Cameroon/Report
Did you meet your goals? Are you happy with how the project went?
- The goal of Wiki-agripo 5.0 was to add content on more than 300 villages of Cameroon’s Adamawa on Wikipedia by 5 to 10 contributors. Overall, we are happy with the project because 10 contributors shared more than 300 articles related to Adamawa Cameroon (progress of more than 288%). The participants have continued to add articles on villages of Adamawa Cameroon since the project ended.
- The villages of Adamawa are listed in the [Category of the villages of the Cameroon Adamawa]
Please report on your original project targets.
- Project metrics
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|Minimum of 3 events||3 events organised with the co-editing of more than 10 articles per event. Contributors continue editing between editing events||Dates of editing events
|Minimum of 10 participants||12 participants are involved.||10 participants are newly involved. The participation is higher than expected due to the fact that involved participants are happy to write on Adamawa Cameroon.|
|Minimum of 6 new editors||10 new editors|
|Minimum of 300 new articles||300 new articles||Participants were very slow in creating articles on Adamawa Cameroon as they are new editor and the region has limited available free-use information. We will continue to support editing of new volunteers for Adamawa region.|
|Minimum of 2 repeat participants||2 repeat participants trained the new contributors|
Projects do not always go according to plan. Sharing what you learned can help you and others plan similar projects in the future. Help the movement learn from your experience by answering the following questions:
- What worked well?
- We mobilise 10 interested participants on our volunteerism mechanism -- people were less skilled to write articles on Wikipedia. However only 3 new editors with less than 30% who succeed to publish articles online
- Overall quality of the Cameroon portal need to continue to be improved. The Cameroon portal has 10 268 articles now and it remain the first portal in Africa, before Algeria.
- What didn't work?
- Finding free-use information on rural area like villages is complicated. Therefore, participants had to collect available information to maintain dynamic. It remains a more difficult task for beginners.
- What would you do differently next time?
- This experience helps us to continue to develop new engaged contributors. This proven strategy is effective and productive and we will continue to invest in a progressive turn-over of small team of engaged contributors to consolidate impact and results.
Grant funds spent
Please describe how much grant money you spent for approved expenses, and tell us what you spent it on.
- Communication (bills 1 to 5)= 248 600 Fcfa ($423.27 USD)
- Travel (bill 6 )= 75 000 Fcfa ($127.69 USD)
- Edit-a-tons sessions (bill 7) = 450 000 Fcfa ($766.18 USD)
Total: $1317.14 USD. Additional cost are supported by Agripo. In addition, Project management cost like human resources of this project is funded by utilising existing resources at AGRIPO.
NB: Grant was received in XAF and all expenses are paid in XAF (local currency in Cameroon). The exchange rate applied is 1 US$ = 587.325 XAF
Do you have any remaining grant funds?
- No remaining funds.
Anything else you want to share about your project?