Grants:Project/Rapid/WikiTZA/Wiki Loves Earth 2020 in Tanzania/Report
Did you meet your goals? Are you happy with how the project went?
- Yes, despite that we launched the competition a bit late, we were able to meet the targeted goals and we are happy with how the project went.
Please report on your original project targets. Please be sure to review and provide metrics required for Rapid Grants.
Below are the outcomes obtained from this project.
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|Recruit existing and new photographers to capture Tanzanian heritage and scenic landscapes to and contribute them to Wikicommons||Announcements were made inviting new and existing photographers to participate in the project. We were able to recruit 19 photographers, mostly the existing photographers due to the limited time we had for organizing the photo contest.||We launched the contest a bit late (from 15th July 2020) instead of the initial plan which was to launch it from 01st of July to 31st of July.|
|One physical event and at least three online events.||We did 4 online to raise awareness to the existing photographers about WLE project, uploading to Wikicommons||We were able to raise awareness on copyright issues too.|
|recruit at least 15 photographers||Were able to recruit 23 photographers||Not all were able to meet the photo uploading deadline despite of regular reminders|
|recruit at least 3 new editors||Were able to recruit 5 new photographers||Some of them promised to participate on the upcoming WLE as they had no plenty of time to follow up the knowledge we shared.|
|create/improve at least 15 articles||Activity on progress|
|Increase skills for existing editors and photographers||Through at least 3 online meetups, we were able to raise awareness to the existing photographers about uploading to Wikicommons and about copyrights issues.||Skills were shared successfully.|
|Add or improve photos of local natural heritage and scenic landscapes in Tanzania and improve existing articles on both English and Swahili Wikipedia.||We were able to add 231 photos to Wikicommons and the usage of these photos is still in progress as there are upcoming programs that aim to increase the usage of these photos such as setting local competition on ISA tool to improve the usage of those photos.||Improvement of existing English and Swahili articles that may use the photos obtained is an ongoing process.|
|Increase awareness of Wikimedia Foundation projects in Tanzania.||We were able to raise the awareness about WMF projects and how they relate to each other. More emphasis was given to Wikimedia Commons and Wikipedia.||Participants were able to know about WMF projects.|
Projects do not always go according to plan. Sharing what you learned can help you and others plan similar projects in the future. Help the movement learn from your experience by answering the following questions:
- What worked well?
- Everything went well with uploading the photos, we didn’t face problems with the internet.
- What did not work so well?
- Some of the participants didn’t meet the deadline, hence they weren’t able to upload all the photos they had, and some recruited members didn’t show up on time. Also due to the COVID 19 situation some participants didn't participate fully in this project.
- What would you do differently next time?
- We will work to prepare and launch the contest early to ensure more members join the contest. We will also emphasize more to the participants to start the uploading process early, so as to avoid any mishaps near the deadline.
Grant funds spent
Please describe how much grant money you spent for approved expenses, and tell us what you spent it on.
- The fund was spent on the entire process of facilitating this contest as well as for the prize to the winners as per the following breakdown.
The fund was used as indicated below
|Item||Proposed amount (USD)||Actual amount (USD)|
|Internet||125||To cover costs to host online events/instantaneous technical support to participants and to support photographers to have data for uploading their photos=205|
|Awards||350||200, 50 gift vouchers for 1st and 3rd winners were provided to the winners respectively. We are waiting for the 3rd winner to complete the confirmation processes to receive his award|
|Equipment rentals||350||We were able to rent 3 laptops for 4 days (370)and 1 Camera (50) =420|
|Branding and stationeries||165||Branding and stationeries =150|
|Communication and outreach||150||Communication and outreach=113|
|Logistics||130||Online team meetups, transport to follow up funds from the bank and to pick and return rented devices=107|
|Transport support||200||Transport support to participants and support to the judges during the judging process 125|
- Yes, 100 USD is still within our hands as the second winner delayed to our emails that asked for the email confirmation so that his Amazon gift voucher can be purchased for him.
Anything else you want to share about your project?
- This was the first time for WLE earth to be organized by the Wikimedia community user group Tanzania team, we believe it was a good beginning and we hope the projects will be even better for the upcoming year.