Grants:Project/Rapid/Wiki Loves Monuments 2018 Bolivia/Report
Did you meet your goals? Are you happy with how the project went?
Yes, we are very proud and happy. This 2018 edition of the contest caught us by surprised when plenty of women participated to send Bolivia straight to the 7th position by number of pictures. 11 262 pictures were a, llowed, almost all of them were uploaded by women. At the begining when we started partnership with the French Embassy we didn't know how to include a gender component to the project. In the end we decided to give a prize to those who uploaded the most pictures and it turned out awesome. Volunteers were really tired, but happy to review so many pictures.
We partnered with different institutions in a more formal way. We decided to tackle the cultural aspect of the contest and got institutions to get involved and provide prizes such as books and prizes. Vuela, a local ISP, Red Boliviana de Valoración y Gestión de Sitios Funerarios y de Culto, an institution dedicated to preserve funerary monuments and its historical value, and Universidad Mayor de San Simón provided with prizes and organized events for the contest.
Please report on your original project targets.
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|Number of participants : 50||https://stats.wikilovesmonuments.cl/2018/bolivia||We got more than 140 participants, mostly women. We are happy we got so many participants for this version.|
|Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons: 1500||report 11 262||We`re the 7th country with most participation with an unexpected raise in uploads during the last day.|
|Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects: 150||We haven't found a way to count how many pictures are currently used in the projects.|
|New long term alliances||Alliance with Universidadi Mayor de San Andrés and Universidad Mayor de San Simón, French Embassy and CCELP, and more.||We were contacted by the French Embassy to develop a gender oriented part of the contest. ICOMOS and UMSA, the public university, approached us as well to learn about our projects, and we came up with WLM 2018.|
|Be an important participation||7th country with most photographs, in the 9 departments of Bolivia||Success of the contest was widely shared on all plataforms as it's included on this report.|
Projects do not always go according to plan. Sharing what you learned can help you and others plan similar projects in the future. Help the movement learn from your experience by answering the following questions:
- What worked well?
We are very proud of the new connections we made before and during the contest. Many institutions wanted to take part of the contest such as the French Embassy and the Spanish Embassy's Cultural Center. What's more, we got to work with people that had already collaborated with us during the 2013 edition of WLM. We reached more than 11 thousand pictures from different users which was a great surprised for the team. We believe that it's important to nurture strong partnerships with people interested in both photography and cultural heritage institutions to involve as many people as possible.
- What did not work so well?
We had trouble processing the huge number of pictures we got. Some activities had to be changed and as a result the team was under a lot of stress to fulfill the schedule we proposed. Since we were working with new and more formal institutions, we couldn't afford to get behind schedule. However, that took a toll in our volunteers. That being one of the reasons this report is being delivered late.
- What would you do differently next time?
Due the partnership we got with some cities, we believe that we have reach those cities in which haven't had a big impact, but do have a huge list of monuments and esculptures that are recognized as cultural heritage. We also intend to train a bigger group of volunteers in case we are as succesfull as we were in 2018.
Grant funds spent
Please describe how much grant money you spent for approved expenses, and tell us what you spent it on.
- . A laptop for a 1st prize: US$ 350 (docs 1) Bought and delivered to the winner
- . A printer for 3rd prize: US$ 180(docs 2) Bought and delivered to the third place
- . Roller, banner and printed material: 200$ (docs 3)A B
- . Miscellaneous and logistics: US$ 200 docs 4
- Operative expenses Cochabamba USD 50
- Operative expenses Santa Cruz USD 50
- Snacks for meetings and some desk articles USD 100
- Internet Conections USD 50 Comunication help USD 50 (docs 5)
- . Photo printing and framing: US$720 (docs 6) 10 photos in 50*70cm
- . Travel expenses for 2 trips to Santa Cruz and Cochabamba: US$ 350 (docs 7)
Do you have any remaining grant funds? NO
Anything else you want to share about your project?
- Good opportunity to make long term alliances.
- We are working towards a collaboration with the OSM community, namely Geochicas.
- Due the partnership with the French Embassy, we got more than eleven thousand pictures. Most of them were uploaded by women. The woman who send more pictures uploaded 848 images. Statistics for this 2018 WLM contest can be reviewed here. Bolivia got 7th place with 11k+ sent pictures
- We also worked with cultural institutions like ICOMOS, La Paz's public university, the best ranked university. They provided a venue for a talk about the contest and books as prizes for the winners.
- Articles on the web about the contest:
- https://bo.ambafrance.org/L-Ambassade-de-France-a-soutenu-le-WIKI-loves-Monuments-Bolivia-2018 Article at the French Embassy's official website