Grants:Project/Rapid/Wikimédien du Bénin User Group/The AfroCine Project Benin 2019/Report
Did you meet your goals? Are you happy with how the project went?
We are very happy to report that we overcame our goals for this project. We had 21 Wikipedians, both new and experienced, local and from out-of-town, create and edit 20 articles about cinema in Benin.
Please report on your original project targets.
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|2 events||3 events||Institut Français du Benin offered us the opportunity of holding a 2 days workshop during its "Novembre numérique" event.|
|20 participants, 20 repeat participants, 2 trainers||21 participants, 20 repeat participants, 3 trainers||Kulttuurinavigaattori (talk · contribs) of Wikimedia Suomi had joined us in one of our events.|
|10 new editors||9 new editors||We had too much applications from editors who already have accounts and interested in working on the theme. So we chose the 9 new editors applications we've got and 11 experienced.|
|20 articles created or improved||20 articles created or improved||We reached the goals but the participants still have articles in their drafts to be improved in the future.|
More details are available on our AfroCine 2019 in Benin project page.
Projects do not always go according to plan. Sharing what you learned can help you and others plan similar projects in the future. Help the movement learn from your experience by answering the following questions:
What worked well?
- Having people think about the theme of the Edit-a-thons made sure to get interested participants.
- Working with repeat participants helps to get more and better results. At the second session, we've worked on the issues they've faced after the first session.
- Partnering with Institut Français du Bénin was highly beneficial because we had one more edit-a-thon and access to their collections and space.
What did not work so well?
- We didn't have enough applications from new editors.
- Our editors need more training sessions
What would you do differently next time?
- Focused our promotion on Cinema schools and professional training centers in Benin
- More training time, by adding one training session for instance. We could also work from morning to evening and offer lunch to participants.
Grant funds spent
Please describe how much grant money you spent for approved expenses, and tell us what you spent it on.
- Venue : 60 000 FCFA x 2 = 120 000 FCFA
- Drinks and Snacks : 30 000 FCFA x 2 = 60 000 FCFA
- Internet & Phone : 30 000 FCFA = 60 000 FCFA
- Social Media (Promotion) : 10 000 FCFA x 2 = 20 000 FCFA
- Tee-shirts (for best editors) : 4 500 FCFA x 5 = 22 500 FCFA
- Total spent : 282 500 FCFA (474.771 USD)
Do you have any remaining grant funds?
It remains 14 393 FCFA (24.1894 USD) that we used for trips during the events.
Anything else you want to share about your project?
This project was very relevant and help us realize that there are only few number of articles about cinema in Benin on Wikipedia. It also helps to reach our goal of 1,000 articles on French wikipedia Benin portal before the end of 2019. We will keep working to improve the contents in waiting for the 2020 edition of AfroCine project.