Grants:Project/Rapid/Wikimedians of Cameroon User Group/Wiki Loves Africa 2020 in Cameroon/Report
Did you meet your goals? Are you happy with how the project went?
Even if we are satisfied with the objectives, this edition was the most difficult that we have organized due to Covid-19.
- Our community is expanding more and more with participants coming from the North of Cameroon; the winners of our last 2 contests (Wiki Loves Earth and Wiki Loves Africa) are all from northern Cameroon.
- Large participation of members with several photos published
- Almost half (59%) of the participants were on their first participation
- 1014 photos uploaded by 44 participants
- 328 images (32%) helped to illustrate Wikipedia articles : Statistics in Cameroon
- Several participants trained and supported during online sessions (webinar) and even by phone (phone calls)
Please report on your original project targets. Please be sure to review and provide metrics required for Rapid Grants.
Several scheduled sessions have been canceled to be done online and by phoneN.B : The poor quality of the internet connection during the online sessions forced us to accompany the participants by telephone.
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|1 Awareness session||2||Awareness session and distribution of flyers and communication materials; We took part in a radio show in northern Cameroon to talk about the contest|
|6 workshop and training session||4||These planned training sessions took place online and by phone.|
|1 closing ceremony||0||Because of the Covid-19 pandemic|
|25 participants uploading a photo||44||More and more interest in our photo contests|
|More than 500 photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons||1014||More and more interest in our photo contests|
Projects do not always go according to plan. Sharing what you learned can help you and others plan similar projects in the future. Help the movement learn from your experience by answering the following questions:
- What worked well?
- We were able to retain participants in these different contests
- Several new participants in the competition, including the winner of the edition
- The community extends to the North of Cameroon where a member of the User Group has settled
- What did not work so well?
- Running the online sessions and accompanying participants over the phone was very exhausting
- The poor quality of the internet connection negatively influenced the proper functioning of the online sessions
- What would you do differently next time?
- Difficult today to know since we don't know what the future holds. But we will preserve our gains based on past experiences.
Grant funds spent
Please describe how much grant money you spent for approved expenses, and tell us what you spent it on.
|Item||Spent Budget in XOF||Spend Budget in USD||Receipt Available||Comments|
|Awards for participants||415 000 frs CFA||$743,06 USD||Yes||Prices have changed in the market|
|Gifts for jury members||60 000 frs CFA||$107,43 USD||Yes|
|Transport and jury sessions||22 500 frs CFA||$40,29 USD||No||In order to avoid group meetings, I went twice (by taxi) to each member of the jury to submit the photos and retrieve their selections and then retrieve the selection of winners from the president of the jury. They received a snack.|
|Communication||176 000 frs CFA||$315,13 USD||Yes||Roll Up : 179,05 USD; Stickers : 35,81 USD; Tee-Shirts : 64,46 USD; Flyers : 35,81 USD|
|Session in Douala||100 000 frs CFA||$179,05 USD||Yes||Video projector rental : 89,53 USD; Snack : 26,86 USD; Transport of volunteers : 62,67 USD|
|Session in Maroua||45 000 frs CFA||$80,57 USD||Yes||Awareness on the radio and in the town : 44,76 USD; Online session : 35,81 USD|
|3 Online training and support||66 000 frs CFA||$118,17 USD||Yes||Internet credit : 80,57 USD; Phone credit : 37,60 USD|
|Total||884 500 frs CFA||$1 583,71 USD|
Do you have any remaining grant funds?
Yes, 215 510 Fcfa - $385,87 USD
Anything else you want to share about your project?