- Applicant or grantee: Wikimedia Taiwan
- Amount granted: 1,970,000 NTD (1,788,500 NTD + 10% contingency) (65,000 USD (59000 USD + 6000 USD contingency fee))
- Funding period: 1 January 2018 to 31 December 2018
- Midpoint report due: 15 July 2018
- Final report due: 30 January 2019
Link to these documents, for the upcoming funding period, only if you have them.
- Link to your organization's staffing plan, for the upcoming funding period. *
- Link to your annual plan, for the upcoming funding period. *
- Link to your strategic plan, which includes the upcoming funding period. *
Please describe any changes to your programs for the upcoming funding period, including the addition of new programs or any programs you are no longer doing. Include your rationale for any major changes to your programs here.
Please use the templates provided to add information about each program you are planning for the upcoming funding period.
*Wikipedia Education Program
Since cooperation with the NCCU course "World Ethnography" in 2014, WMTW and Taiwan Wikimedia communities have run education program 3 years. After the wiki club of NTU being set up last year, the number of courses in WEP is increase significantly. 7 courses in 3 school (NCCU, NTU and TCU) joined the program, brought Wikipedia more than 100 new users, and more than 90 articles had been established or improved.
By the situation, WMTW have made qualitative research reports on the cooperation of the four Taiwan university education programs in 2nd semester of 2016 academic year (February to August 2017). We hear volunteers talking about that they are over-loading and need more resources from chapter. If we can't make some specific responses to these needs this year, WEP in Taiwan may be foiled because volunteers burn out. For the reason, we will focus on education program with new staff input. We hope the base installation of WEP can be established this year, to let WEP has the capacity of sustainable development.
Otherwise, we organized Taiwan task force of WikiProject Medicine since 2014. The task has translated more than 300 articles to Chinese Wikipedia, the number is 2nd of all language versions. Most volunteers of this project are students study in College of Medicine, so we'll support them by resources of WEP. There are several active translators in the project, but only one volunteer move the translated text to Wikipedia. Beside increasing the number of translator, we need more volunteers who can help Wikify at the same time.
This program will be the top priority of WMTW in 2018. That is to say if we can get the amount we expect in the grant, we'll decrease the goals of other program, to make sure all the goals of WEP can be reached.
This year WMTW will make the Education Program with more staff input so the service can maintain consistent, there will be 3 points in development
Find more cooperative partner in schools.
Establish a model about “How to start an education program/project”
Establish quantitative or qualitative influence researches of education program.
具體目標 SMART goals
Cooperate with 10 courses, including 3 teachers that never work with before.
Help 2 student wiki clubs to be created. The 2 new clubs will hold 12 events with 60 participants in one year totally.
Publish 1 on-line education program handbook before May 31. The handbook will help school teachers or Wikimedia volunteers can get the know-how of running a project, then they can start a project without asking Chapter first.
Hold 1 volunteer training event during July to September at least. We will train 10 volunteers to use dashboard tools, design a survey, and tell the story, in order to show there outcome at the end of semester.
- 有50%以上的專案使用 Programs & Events Dashboard 進行統計。
Half projects account their output by Programs & Events Dashboard.
Publish quantitative research for 3 or more projects. (interviews with teachers, students or volunteers)
30 new translators and 5 new Wikify volunteers or more in task force of WikiProject Medicine.
*GLAM Partnership Initiative
Taiwan Wikimedia community has little contact with GLAM organize before. The only support we get from GLAM are docent reservation or book lending when need for active. However, in the late of 2017, the Li Mei-shu (a deceased known Taiwanese painter) Memorial Gallery invite us a cooperation project to donate the digital files of all collections to Wikimedia movement; and a on-line Gallery want donate about 100 photo or video files to Commons, but we haven't started to sort out and upload them on a large scale.
We hope to finished the two projects, and find some new partners by the outcome of these, to start up the GLAM program in Taiwan.
To make potential partners, since partnership in the past didn't go deep.
具體目標 SMART goals
Done 3 GLAM projects. A project will be determined “done” if any the following target is reached:
Increase more than 20 multi-media files to Wikimedia projects.
Hold a series of successful meetups (a series means at least 5 meetups) including and have 30 participants or more in all meetups totally.
Sign a cooperation agreement with any GLAM organize, and right on target at the end of year.
Make promo of GLAM:
- 印刷的傳單、酷卡或貼紙 1000 份以上。我們會在館聯活動中發放、在合作夥伴的空間展示，或者在WMTW擺放攤位的會議中發放，向一般大眾宣傳維基媒體計畫中有館聯專案。
1000 (or more) leaflets, cool cards or stickers 1000. We'll distribute it in GLAM events, GLAM partner's space, or WMTW's stand in some conferences, to introduce GLAM program to normal people.
An online promoting document, to teach organize of GLAM how to start a GLAM project with us.
*Marginal Communities Facilitation Program
WMTW re-grant 5 communities in 2017. All communities with or without re-granted by us hold more than 600 events, and improve more than 250 articles. Analyzing the outcome of last year, we find that local community can not increase its influence necessarily even we input some resource, because the limit of manpower. Student club or community with some main themes have more growing potential. The work pushing student club has been moved into Wikipedia education program, so we'll pay more attention to push marginal communities.
By the outcome in 2017, 4 themes will be the top targets we want to push. They are gender, small languages, photography, and MediaWiki programing. We choose these themes because they all had a little result before.
About gender, the women community "A Room of WikiWomen's Own" have 5 fixed members and about 8-15 participants in their monthly meetup. It's a stable community and energetic enough to hold Art and Feminism Edit-a-thon. They can hold meetup by themselves without helping from chapter in the 2nd half of 2017. We can work in coordination with theme, and focus on increase their influence. For example, in 2017, we hold a editing class with "Awaken Foundation" (a gender movement organize), and invited "The Society of Taiwan Women in Science and Technology" (TWIST) to provide some reference about biographies of Taiwan women in science and technology. We can still work with these two organizes and find some partners else.
About small language, we are running project of incubating Wikipedia in Taiwanese aborigines languages with ALCD of NCCU. The are 5 during 16 aborigines languages were maintained the most active communities by Incubator in 2017. ALCD of NCCU consider to continue the project, and wish that some aborigine people can successfully have Wikipedia in their native language version.
In 2017, we also hold photography competition WLM & WLE, and developed IDS (Ideographic Description Sequence) system for MediaWiki to show some Chinese character without Unicode which are used in Southern Min or Yue Chinese. We hope some communities of multimedia or technology will be created by contributors.
The Wikimedia communities in Taiwan have reach sufficient momentum, we will focus this year to make them more diverse. Especially the diversity of language, gender, and the way of their contribution (which means not only text content, but multimedia or technology side of contribution).
具體目標 SMART goals
Hold 1 event that not for Chinese Wikimedia project per season, with 20 participants totally. The event can be focus on these project:
Southern Min Wikipedia
Have 3 events with Taiwan NGOs that forcus on gender movement. 30 participants (10 of them are staff or long-time volunteer in NGOs) including 10 new registed user.
Start an online community for programming MediaWiki, with 20 members and 1 offline meetup.
Hold 2 international photographic competition to increase 1000 photos on Wikimedia.
Staff and contractors
Please describe any changes to your staffing plan for the upcoming funding period. These should include increases in staff or contractor hours, new staff positions, or staff positions you are removing. Include your rationale for any staffing changes here.
- See also: Staff Plan
2018我們計畫增加1FTE的職員。其中0.5FTE是來自去年以自籌款項雇用的行政人員。這個職員已聘雇兩年，但去年因為Simple APG只給予 1 FTE，我們以自籌款項支付，今年希望改由Simple APG支應。另外0.5FTE是教育專案的經理人，他的工作在下一節敘述。
We plan to add 1 FTE staff in 2018. 0.5 FTE is from administration who hired by self-raising income last year. The staff actually is hired for two years, but cause the grant only gave us 1 FTE last year, so we raised his paid from other side. We hope that can back to simple APG this year. Another 0.5 FTE is for education program manager, his work is in the next section.
For each new staff or contractor position, please use the template provided to add information about each new staff or contractor you are planning for the upcoming funding period (or to describe significant increases in hours or changes in job descriptions for existing staff). You are not required to provide this information for existing staff where no changes are required.
- 教育專案經理人 (0.5 FTE)：負責推廣教育專案。他的工作有：
Education Program Manager
Hold events and track outcome of education program.
Find new partners.
Write research reports.
Manage education program channel on social media.
Budget and resource plan
Link to a detailed budget for the upcoming funding period. This budget should include all of your organizations expenses. Please specify which expenses will be covered from your APG.
This is a brief report on the grantee's progress during the midpoint reporting period: 1 January - 30 June 2018.
Please link to one program story that showcases your organization's achievements during the reporting period.
Wikipedia Education Program
- Cooperate with 10 courses, including 3 teachers that never work with before.
- 5 courses, including 2 new partners.
- Help 2 student wiki clubs to be created. The 2 new clubs will hold 12 events with 60 participants in one year totally.
- Publish 1 on-line education program handbook before May 31. The handbook will help school teachers or Wikimedia volunteers can get the know-how of running a project, then they can start a project without asking Chapter first.
- Hold 1 volunteer training event during July to September at least. We will train 10 volunteers to use dashboard tools, design a survey, and tell the story, in order to show there outcome at the end of semester.
- Half projects account their output by Programs & Events Dashboard.
- Publish quantitative research for 3 or more projects. (interviews with teachers, students or volunteers) .
- 30 new translators and 5 new Wikify volunteers or more in task force of WikiProject Medicine.
GLAM Partnership Initiative
- Done 3 GLAM projects.
- 1 project is going on, 2 are planning.
- Make promo of GLAM:
- 1000 (or more) leaflets, cool cards or stickers 1000. We'll distribute it in GLAM events, GLAM partner's space, or WMTW's stand in some conferences, to introduce GLAM program to normal people.
- Have been designed, and will be printed before Aug 5th , distribute in COSCUP 2018 (Aug 11-12) first.
- An online promoting document, to teach organize of GLAM how to start a GLAM project with us.
Marginal Communities Facilitation Program
- Hold 1 event that not for Chinese Wikimedia project per season, with 20 participants totally. The event can be focus on these project:
- Southern Min Wikipedia
- Hakka Wikipedia
- 1 event for Southern Min language of Wikidata / WikiSource.
- Have 3 events with Taiwan NGOs that forcus on gender movement. 30 participants (10 of them are staff or long-time volunteer in NGOs) including 10 new registed user.
- 1 have done (Art and Feminism Edit-a-thon), 2 will be hold on Aug 28-29 and Sep 12-13.
- Start an online community for programming MediaWiki, with 20 members and 1 offline meetup.
- A slack channel has been opened, but still need more members.
- Hold 2 international photographic competition to increase 1000 photos on Wikimedia.
- 1 is done (Wiki loves Earth) with 469 photos.
Please report your organization's total spending during the reporting period, or link to a financial document showing your total spending.
- 656,868 TWD