Grants:Simple/Applications/Wikimedians of Albanian Language User Group/2020
Link to these documents, for the upcoming funding period, only if you have them.
- Link to your organization's staffing plan, for the upcoming funding period.
- Link to your annual plan, for the upcoming funding period.
- Link to your strategic plan, which includes the upcoming funding period.
Please add your grants metrics to this sheet. Note that requirements for shared metrics have changed for grants starting 1 January 2017 or later. Please visit this worksheet to view global metrics targets and progress.
Please describe any changes to your programs for the upcoming funding period, including the addition of new programs or any programs you are no longer doing. Include your rationale for any major changes to your programs here.
Please use the templates provided to add information about each program you are planning for the upcoming funding period.
Staff and contractors
Please describe any changes to your staffing plan for the upcoming funding period. These should include increases in staff or contractor hours, new staff positions, or staff positions you are removing. Include your rationale for any staffing changes here.
For each new staff or contractor position, please use the template provided to add information about each new staff or contractor you are planning for the upcoming funding period (or to describe significant increases in hours or changes in job descriptions for existing staff). You are not required to provide this information for existing staff where no changes are required.
- From August 2018, the User Group incorporated its first staff member based in Prishtina. The hired Project Manager led the program through planning, coordinating and executing tasks within budget and time prospect. The part-time position of our Project Manager has been supported by the local Ipko Foundation.
We would like to transition the Project Manager based in Prishtina to WMF grant funding in 2020 who will be engaged part-time in H1 and upgraded to full-time in H2. In addition, we want to add another full-time Project Manager based in Tirana.
To implement the program, the Project Managers' duties and responsibilities are:
- Identify and coordinate activities, timeline, and budget to execute within program’s grant application
- Network, research and reach out to public institutions, organizations and individuals to create further collaborations and partnerships
- Manage activities, allocate resources, coordinate and organize duties and tasks within the timeframe
- Organize events and other promotional activities
- Develop and implement a communication plan for the User Group
- Send press releases, reach out to media and manage social media marketing to promote events, user group and the free knowledge concept of Wikipedia
- Develop and monitor user group’s reports, proposals, presentations, and other documentation
- Administer the budget, by executing, monitoring and recording expenditures.
An additional Project Manager based in Tirana would support further out volunteers in Albania and ensure an efficient implementation of the program grant.
Budget and resource plan
Link to a detailed budget for the upcoming funding period. This budget should include all of your organizations expenses. Please specify which expenses will be covered from your APG.
This is a brief report on the grantee's progress during the midpoint reporting period: 1 January 2020 - 31 June 2020.
Please link to one program story that showcases your organization's achievements during the reporting period.
Please add text or a link to a page with details on your program progress. This should including reporting against each of the SMART objectives form your proposal.
|3 workshops/editathons||Albania with REC - Host workshops with REC and Faculty of Science in Albania||Wikimedians of Albanian Language User Group since 2019 is collaborating with REC Albania, an environmental NGO, to train their instructors and students on Wikimedia projects. Two main projects we're working on are Wikipedia in Albanian and Wikidata. In January and February 2020 we co-organized 2 editathons to improve the articles related to natural monuments of Albania. Students participating where from Faculty of Science in Tirana. Details: https://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/Education/News/February_2020/WoALUG_and_REC_Albania_continue_their_collaboration_in_Wikimedia_Education|
|56 articles edited, 54 new articles, 105 total Edits, 29 Total Editors||Workshops with CIT Tirana, Women in Tech||Wikimedians of Albanian Language UG in Tirana and Canadian Institute of Technology (CIT) hosted their first 3day edit a thon together.
As a part of the project, young girls currently enrolled in high-school or university were introduced to historically famous women in the field of computing. tad any. Then for 3 days we ran the edit a thon. To collect the results, we used Outreach Dashboard. Details: https://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/Education/News/Drafts/WoALUG_and_Canadian_Institute_of_Technology_write_about_women_in_tech
|2 Workshops, 39 Editors, 482 Total Edits||Kosovo with KEC (Kosovo Education Center)||During the period of lockdown in Kosovo, we were in talks with KEC (a non-governmental and not-for-profit organization founded in 2000 with the idea of focusing on provision of in-service teacher training programs) to discuss the possibility of collaborating together to do an online training on WIKIDATA for teachers and students.
On the first training which took place on the 21st of April, we first hosted an info session demonstrating how WIKIDATA works and set the participants a task to edit a few items until the next session. In the next session, we reviewed the edited items together via screen sharing. KEC asked us to host another training in May, which had fewer participants than the first one but nevertheless was successful. Seeing that on the previous training some of the participants were reluctant to finish the tasks we asked them to, we decided that on this session to ask them to edit the items as we were demonstrating.
|50 new articles, 150 editors||Wiki Ponder Workshops in Prishtina, Gjilan and Lipjan. (Kosovo)||Members of Wikimedians of Albanian Language User Group in Kosovo were invited by UNICEF Innovations Lab in Kosovo to collaborate for an online workshop Ponder hosted by them. Part of the workshop, precisely the final session of the workshop, participants (mainly high school students) were asked to create new articles on sq Wikipedia. Since the first workshop resulted in success, we helped host two more of the same form thematic workshops throughout May and June.|
|Collaboration with Faculty of Languages in Tirana and CIT||Collaboration with Faculty of Languages in Tirana and CIT||We are in contact with CIT and a couple of departments from the Faculty of Languages in Tirana to collaborate in Education. We think the translation tool its a very good tool to be used by language departments. They have expressed their interested but we will need a follow up in October to organize online/offline event(depending how covid situation will be then)|
|Diaspora Edits Wikipedia||Though initially planned to happen the previous year, after several discussions with NGO Germin with whom we collaborated for this campaign, it was decided Diaspora Edits Wikipedia will take place during 22 January - 31 March.
The Albanian diaspora is a large community, therefore we figured that their contribution in helping improve the coverage of articles about their homelands would be much welcome. To support us in finding our audience, we invited NGO Germin - an NGO based in Prishtina which aims to connect and engage Diaspora in advancing the development of their home countries. It was our first time hosting online sessions, so it was a bit of an experiment and we did not know what to expect. Although 20 participants signed up for the sessions, only 5 joined them and by the end we had only one of the participants sent us a finished article. https://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/GLAM/Newsletter/March_2020/Contents/Kosovo_report
|5 Editors, 3 New Articles, 2 Articles Edited||Wiki Potter workshop in Tirana||A collaboration between Wikimedians of Albanian Language User Group and Harry Potter Fans in Albania, a Harry Potter fan club. One of the many thematic collaborations we had with the aim to learn new tools, specially the translation tool in Wikipedia. This was the second time we collaborated with HPFA and, just like the first time, the event was intended as a workshop to familiarize HPFA members with the wiki culture. With a small attendance, held at a local cafe on February 2, 3 new articles were created as a result of that meeting.|
|9 Articles Created,, 20 Articles Edited, 134 Total Edits, 8 Editors.||WikiGap 2020 in Tirana||Wikimedians of Albanian Language User Group has been collaborating with the Swedish Embassy in Tirana since 2018. Over the years, the focus has been on writing articles about women around the world.
This year the focus was on Swedish and Albanian Women, specifically sport women and ambassadors. Details: https://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/GLAM/Newsletter/June_2020/Contents/Albania_report
|-||Një Fshat, Një Artikull - One Village, One Article.||Një Fshat, Një Artikull - One Village, One Article was an online campaign we did throughout March.
The name of the campaign came from the idea to invite experienced and new Wikipedians to help each village in Albania and Kosovo have its article on sq Wikipedia. However, we found that the majority of these villages already had an article but there was plenty of room to improve them. Therefore, our expectations for the outcomes were to have as many articles on these villages improved and expanded by adding infoboxes, maps, files from Commons, missing information, statistics, etc. https://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/GLAM/Newsletter/April_2020/Contents/Kosovo_report
112 Articles Created,
226 Total Articles
|Wikimedia CEE Spring 2020||On May 9-10, 2020, Wikimedias of Albanian Language UG, held online - Cee Spring 2020 - edit a thon, where Albania and Kosovo participated in the competition organized by the Wikimedians of Central and Eastern Europe. During the two days, the focus was on writing new articles about the culture and history of Central and Southern European countries on Albanian Wikipedia.|
83 Articles Created 774 articles edited
|I Edit Wikipedia||The online campaign to edit Wikipedia open to all participants was held throughout April.
Since it was open to everyone, this campaign also served to promote editing in Wikipedia and our WoALUG which we did by promoting it on channels with wide audiences on social media and by making open calls via our social media channels to edit articles in sq Wikipedia which we identified that needed improvement. As a result 38 editors participated and 774 articles in total were edited of which 83 new ones. The editors who contributed the most, were rewarded.
|In pocess||Ilustro Wikipedia-n (Illustrate Wikipedia) - Wikipedia Pages Wanting Photos||When planning our 2020 activities, we had decided to repeat last year’s “Illustrate Wikipedia” and later on this year we were presented with the idea of participating in Wikipedia Pages Wanting Photos international campaign - which in essence aimed the same thing so we decided to blend them together.
We are currently in the phase of promoting the campaign and plan on hosting several online edit-a-thons and writing blog posts to help beginners understand how they can participate and help improve sq Wikipedia with illustrations.
Please report your organization's total spending during the reporting period, or link to a financial document showing your total spending.
- 4325.4 EUR Spending report
This is the final report for your grant, describing your outcomes from the period 1 July 2020 - 30 December. See mid report for 1 January-30 June 2020.
Please link to one program story that showcases your organization's achievements during the reporting period.
- Historic Museum of Albania
- We have been in contact with the Historic Museum of Tirana for 2 years now, and we finally managed to move our collaboration to a different level. The museum donated 48 images from the Treasure of the Nation. The images are high quality and most of them are the only copy for a certain monument or sculpture that exist in a CC license.
We uploaded all the pictures online and filled them with all the data, creating a complete file for each one of them. Unfortunately, the images were deleted because the OTRS was not sent on time. With the help of the User:Ciell, we wrote the OTRS and sent it to the museum, they had to check with their lawyer and there were a couple of backs and forths for them to understand exactly what an OTRS was. We still haven’t got the OTRS back, signed by the director but we are hoping we will get it soon and post the link of the category here.
- Ilustrate Wikipedia
- Every year since 2014, we have been organizing Wiki Loves Monuments and Earth competitions and in the last 2 years Wiki Photowalks. We realized that Wiki Photowalk was a very successful way to actually motivate people to bring their camera and to travel somewhere to take good pictures to a certain location. But because of COVID-19, this year we couldn’t organize an offline event since traveling was not safe, so we organized Ilustrate Wikipedia instead, which is an online event to use pictures that contributors uploaded in the previews years from WLM, WLE and WIkiPhotowalks.
Please link to one learning story that shows how your organization documents lessons learned and adapts its programs accordingly.
- A learning story this year has been adapting our program to COVID-19 restrictions. Our yearly program is dedicated mostly to offline events. When everything started closing down and the offline events were not possible anymore, we had to find a solution by transferring almost all the events online. Our first struggle was with newbies: it was not very easy to manage and engage them online when there were more than 5 people because they all have questions and you need to dedicate time each one of them separately and that creates a bit of confusion. Participants could easily lose interest. To resolve this “first step” we start recording videos on how to get started on Wikipedia and Wikidata, and send them to the participants, and they would send us back the questions if they had any, so during the event we would start explaining the questions and then the editing would start. This helped us to manage online events better.
Please add text or a link to a page with details on your program results. You should report on each of the objectives you included in your Simple APG application.
Please link to a detailed financial report for your spending during the grant period. This should be in the same format as your detailed budget from your Simple APG application.
Please include the total amount of Simple APG funds you spent during the grant period.