Grants:TPS/Flixtey/SOTM Africa 17
This Wikimedia Participation Support request was funded in the fiscal year 2014-15. A report is available.
I am an active member of the Wikimedia Community in Ghana and a program leader on the African Continent. I have been contributing to WIkimedia Projects since 2012 and have a passion to promote the activities of the movement on the African continent.
I have been invited by the organizers of this event, to lead a session on cross collaboration across open movements in Africa. This will include introducing participants to an ecosystem of collaborative work between Open Street Maps Africa and the Wikimedia Community in Africa. As part of my activities at the conference I hope to showcase the importance of Open Street Maps (OSM) to the Wikimedia community and how the OSM community can leverage the Wikimedian platform to create value for their maps. This will also be a focus to drive map related information in Africa to bridge several geographical or map relational gaps on Wikimedia Projects. Participants will learn how to insert coordinates on WIkipedia and how to share map data on projects such as Wikidata.
Goal and expected impact
I hope to achieve the following through my participation at the conference.
- Encourage contribution of geographical data from OSM volunteers on Wikimedia Projects.
- Create the awareness about the existence of other Wikimedia projects that may benefit from OSM contributions apart from Wikipedia (eg:WikiData)
- Increase collaboration on projects with the OSM community in Africa
- Encourage general contributions on Wikimedia Projects.
- Start a conversation on creating Wikimedia Communities in participants countries (those that do not have a presence yet)
- Travel (round trip airfare from Ghana to Uganda): USD 900
- Transportation from Airport to Venue: USD 30
- Transportation from Venue to Airport: USD 30
- Accommodation: USD 55 per night x 3 nights = USD 165
- Feeding for three days: USD 30 per day x 3 nights = USD 90
- Visa Fee: USD 50
- Conference registration fee: USD 100 (waived by organizers)
The return ticket and accommodation may be booked by the WMF. Other funds apart from the return ticket and accommodation may be sent to me as a reimbursement.
- I endorse Felix Nartey to embark on this project. Locally, he is creating awareness of wikimedia and its sister projects and open street maps. He actively engages with us on practical sessions and his participation in this event will bring about great exposure for him, the local community and the attendees of this event. His attendance with the new knowledge and networking he will experience at the event will benefit the local community immensely since he shares them with us.Andrews Lartey (talk) 07:07, 11 June 2017 (UTC)
- I endorse Felix Nartey to embark on this project. Locally, he is creating awareness of wikimedia and its sister projects and open street maps. He actively engages with us on practical sessions and his participation in this event will bring about great exposure for him, the local community and the attendees of this event. His attendance with the new knowledge and networking he will experience at the event will benefit the local community immensely since he shares them with us. Andrews Lartey (talk) 07:09, 11 June 2017 (UTC)
- I strongly support grant application I believe this will help forge a closer collaborations between Wikipedia and Open Street Maps which will promote the activities of Open Movements in AfricaRberchie (talk) 17:31, 26 June 2017 (UTC)
- Strong support Touzrimounir (talk) 10:45, 2 July 2017 (UTC)
- Support Ayoub Fajraoui (talk) 07:42, 4 July 2017 (UTC)