Grants:TPS/Kelvinsong/LGM: Creating textbook-grade SVG illustrations for Wikipedia
This Wikimedia Participation Support request was funded in the fiscal year 2014-15. A report is available.
I am a Commons SVG illustrator who has contributed numerous high-quality SVG illustration to the wikimedia projects. My portfolio is on Commons, my user page there also has links to more comprehensive lists of illustrations I’ve constributed, as well as some awards I’ve gotten from that project. I also did the interactive illustration of the wikipedia en:Chloroplast article.
Late last year I was approached by another wikimedia who suggested that I give a talk at the Libre graphics meeting in Toronto. I live in New York, which is close to Canada, so I figured it would be convenient for me to attend this year. I submitted a proposal called “Creating textbook-grade SVG illustrations for Wikipedia” which was approved for LGM, though the exact schedule hasn’t been determined yet. I will be giving this presentation on one of the earlier days of the conference.
Goal and expected impact
This talk will hopefully bring light to SVG illustration on Wikimedia commons, and inform libre artists of the cause, which is still rather obscure. Many people do not know Commons hosts svg images (only photographs), and those that do have a very technical impression (political schematics, or map SVGs for example). I would like to make it known that higher-quality, artistic svg is produced and is in demand on wikimedia Commons, and has a home on Wikipedia articles. Objectives include:
- Informing people of the existence of artistic SVG on Commons (or the existence of any SVG at all)
- Demonstrating illustration potential of the SVG format over PNG or adobe formats
- Briefly show how an illustration might be prepared for upload
- Bring to attention technical hurdles (and workarounds) that would be helpful to be solved on wikimedia’s end
hopefully this will
- Inspire other vector artists to contribute, or at least critique work on Commons
- Demonstrate possible uses and integration of interactive SVG in wikipedia articles
- Give Commons a good reputation as a host and source of svg art
- Travel (round trip airfare from JFK to Toronto): USD 375
- Hotel: USD 124.50 per night × 2 nights = USD 249.00
- Meals & incidentals: USD 71.25 per night × 2 nights = USD 142.50
If anyone thinks it’s a good idea I could give out promotional objects like pins or stickers
Also it should be noted that LGM will also compensate some of my travel expenses (they will reimburse after the event, if any), but LGM is extremely pinched financially this year so it would be very helpful if Wikimedia Foundation also took some of the burden. If LGM is able to compensate, I will refund the WMF the difference.