Welcome back from Wikimania 2019!
- Option 1: Shared Experience: What is one way you shared something from your experience with your community (either locally or globally), after the event?
- Add a link here to a blog post or newsletter you wrote about your participation afterwards, or to a meet-up you organized to share your experience with your local community.
After returning home, I gave an interview to the Uzbek Service of Voice of America (VOA) about my experiences at Wikimania 2019 and the Wikimedia movement in general. The interview was featured on VOA's main page.
In the interview, we discussed the following topics:
- Wikimania 2019;
- Wikimania in general;
- What motivates people to contribute to Wikipedia and other wiki projects;
- The sate of wikis in the languages of the Central Asian Region;
- Other wiki projects (Wikmedia Commons, Wiktionary, Wikiquote, Wikisource, Wikibooks, Wikispecies, Wikinews, Wikiversity, Wikidata, Wikivoyage, and Meta).
I met a great number of fellow Wikimedians at the conference, including Wikimedian of the Year 2018 Farhad Fatkullin. With Farhad and a few other Wikimedians I discussed and learned more about establishing user groups. After returning home, I started a discussion on the Kyrgyz Wikipedia on creating a user group of Wikimedians living in Kyrgyzstan.
This year I also
- attended Learning Days sessions and learned more about improving my public speaking skills, establishing successful partnerships, resolving conflict (both on wiki and in real life), and evaluating projects;
- had various conversations with conference attendees about the wikis in the languages of the five stans of Central Asia;
- co-organized this year's numismatic corner;
- last but not least, on August 17 celebrated my birthday with fellow Wikimedians.