This had been a submission to the Wikimedia Participation Support process, but was withdrawn or otherwise cancelled (not denied).
I hope to present on the Art+Feminism project, the #BlackLivesMatter Wikipedia Edit-a-thons, and my other thoughts on organizing events around Wikipedia's gender and multicultural gaps, and to have discussions with other women in technology about the gender gap, web interfaces created by and for women, Wikipedia and women/feminism, and to learn about new projects.
I'm also specifically interested in learning more from attendees about their thoughts on the current coverage of the technology gender gap and the gender gap, how we feel about this coverage (is it productive, is it not?), as well as others' thoughts on leisure inequality and impostor syndrome, and anti-harssment/safe space policies.
One thing I would also like to talk to other women is situating feminist, technology, activism, within the larger trajectory/history/narrative of global feminism.
Finally, I hope to solicit attendees for thoughts on better ways to study Wikipedia's gender and multicultural gaps.
Goal and expected impact
I would plan to take my knowledge and make a blog post to share with the Wikimedia NYC community and the Art+Feminism project, and perhaps also to think about ways of presenting 'lessons learned' to others in my local community in NYC. The most viable platform for such a presentation would be with FemTechNet's WikiStorming community, at a New School event.
Provide a detailed breakdown of your funding needs here. Please specify the currency for all amounts. For example:
- Travel USD 100-200 (one way train travel from Montreal to New York City is $100, explained below.)
- Accommodation: USD 40 per night x 3 nights = USD 120
- Depending on another pending scholarship/conference application for the GLAM-Wiki Conference 2015, I'll be flying from the Hague, Nederlands (April 10-12th) directly to Montreal, instead of heading home straight to NYC, which would mean that I would only need a 1 way train ticket for this event. Otherwise, I will be requesting 2-way travel.
- $120 3 nights in a hostel at around $40/night.
- I would strongly prefer advanced reimbursement if at all possible.