|This Wikimedia Participation Support request was funded in the fiscal year 2013-14. A report is available.|
- User name
- User location (country)
- Event name
Youth Engagement Summit Africa (YES Africa)
- Event Web site
- Event date(s)
Wednesday, 4 December 2013 at 08:00 - Friday, 6 December 2013 at 17:00 (EAT)
- Event location (city)
- Amount requested (remember to specify currency!)
Note: No request funding for accommodation, Ground Transport(From airport to the summit venue).
- Travel: USD 1064.20 (Round-trip economy ticket from Gaborone-Johannesburg and Johannesburg-Mauritius)prices compared between airlines from the links below:
- Per-Diem: USD 53.25/day x 4 days = USD 213 (75% of GSA rate)
I am an active Wikipedia Volunteer in some of the Wikimedia Foundations projects. Mainly I am involved with Setswana Wikipedia, commons:Wikimedia Commons and Wikiversity. I am founding member of the upcoming user group Planning Wikimedia Botswana. I have conducted workshops on Wikipedia (how to edit, necessity of Wikipedia and ways to get involved) at universities which was meant to increase participation, and being one of the strategic plans of Wikimedia Foundation.
Extensia ltd are currently working on a pan-African project in partnership with the Ministry of ICT in Mauritius, to organize the first annual Youth Engagement Summit – YES Africa. YES Africa initiative was formed, and will invite approximately 300 targeted delegates from across Africa to meet together in Mauritius in December, with a view to sharing best practice with others who are working on youth engagement initiatives from their represented countries, sourcing solutions that will better enable them, and also be educated from leaders in the field.Invited delegates includes social media (Facebook, Google etc), Pan-African agencies, NGO's and Service providers etc.
I will be participating in this summit as an invited VIP delegate and speaker to address other youths about the use of Wikipedia and Wikiversity as a learning educational strategy.However this is a forum to influence Africa's future leaders to realize the need for the deployment of free use of the encyclopedia in African communities and the educational sector.
- I will be the panelist for Educational Engagement Strategies and Education, Incubators and Capacity Building workshops to talk about the relations between Wikipedia and Education.
- I will give an insight of Wikipedia workshops(i.e explaining more about Edit-a-thorns) and help explain the support of healthy diversity in the editing community to increase the number of participants in the Global South Region and lastly speak about getting in touch with other African Wikimedians.
Goal and Expected Impact
- Through this conference I will be able to introduce Wikipedia and Wikiversity. I have some prior experiences on conducting workshops and some outreach events in different places therefore I can share some of these experiences with other participants.
- Another important goal i will cover at this summit is to encourage and offer mentor-ship (get involved) for content generation on Wikipedia.
- Essentially i will be able to highlight the benefits of contributing to Wikipedia, and WikiVersity.
- I will introduce some of the important nice elements of Wikipedia, including Wiki Loves Monuments, and the GLAM movement; Informally i will also discuss exciting things that are happening in Africa as a way of building interest and capacity in participation, including the WikiAfrica Incubator, upcoming Wiki Indaba, Wiki Loves Africa and the Kumusha Takes Wiki Project.
- Perhaps, rather i will challenge other delegates to either get in touch with their local to unite into chapters, or to form their own user group (and let them know who to contact, where) for participation benefits.