Jump to navigation Jump to search
Welcome back from Wikimania 2018!
- Shared Experience: What is one way you shared something from your experience with your community (either locally or globally), after the event?
- As always, conference participants from our community need to write a report and share their experience at local meetup. I arranged a meetup on August 13 and prepared a written report for the community.
- New Creation: What was one useful outcome that was created at the event for the Wikimedia movement?
- During the hackathon, I worked on import scripts for Wikidata and completed data import for current Latvian parliament, fulfilling data quality requirements for level ★★★ in WikiProject every politician.
I made several types of connections while at the conference:
- Practical connections:
- Marcmiquel presented a talk "Wikipedia Cultural Diversity Observatory" which is an interesting topic for future editions of CEE Spring.
- I organized CEE meetup where we discussed many practical issues for upcoming events in CEE region.
- During hackathon I had two interviews with people from design teams. I hope I contributed useful feedback for them.
- I attended Wikidata meetup which helped to make myself more familiar with people leading the project.
- People from my own region (CEE) which are involved in our shared projects like CEE Spring. It is important to get to know them better, as online communication can be very different. I met Vogone who is interested in Lithuanian community (originally from different community) which is still not present in movement events. While our conversation was short, I am glad to see that he is attending CEE Meeting 2018 and is willing to work on establishing user group.
- People from distant cultures (from my perspective). It was worthwhile to talk with several African people to find about challenges we do not meet in CEE. I also enjoyed a day trip after the conference with people from India and Bangladesh. While we might not have plans for collaboration in Wikimedia world, joining the movement has helped to broaden my world view.