|This Wikimedia Participation Support report has been accepted by the Wikimedia Participation Support Committee.To see the original request, please visit Grants:TPS/Pigsonthewing/PIDapalooza 2018.
- Approx. 30 people attended my presentation on PIDs in Wikidata. Several took up the invitation to discuss the subject with me during the remainder of the event
- Discussion with Rwanda Utilities Regulatory Authority delegate about supporting development of Wikimedia content and movement in that country and in its Kinyarwanda language; subsequently introduced by email to Senior Program Officer, Emerging Wikimedia Communities, WMF with a view to pursing that end [discussion ongoing].
- Discussion with a publisher about a potential Wikipedia Library donation~
- Discussions with two organisations about possible Wikimedian in Residence placements~
- Met Sarala Wimalaratne of European Bioinformatics Institute' identifiers.org project, and had long follow-up discussion about Wikidata's use of their IDs; possible cross-project collaboration; offer assistance in editing Wikidata. Also resulted in data donation in Mix'n'Match catalogue 1035
- Met Laura Cox of Ringgold to offer assistance in editing Wikidata and solicit possible data donation [ongoing]
- Met Joachim Neubert of ZBW Labs in Hamburg and discussed a possible data donation and donation of media to Commons; identified potential new Wikidata PID property [ongoing]
- Met Hideaki Takeda from CiNii in Japan; offered assistance in editing Wikidata and explained Wikidata's use of their various types of identifiers; provided details subsequently by email
- Met two colleagues from the Australian Access Federation, resulting an in invitation to speak about Wikidata at a science conference~ in Australia when I visit later this year.
- Worked with a number of attendees on documentation of PIDs in Wikidata; subsequently started discussions on Wikidata and its mailing list [ongoing]
- Worked with another delegate to rekindle 'identifiers.org prefix' (P4793) PID property on Wikidata
~ Details withheld for obvious reasons of confidentiality
As above, plus:
- Identified issues with DOI formatter URLs on Wikidata
- Wikidata items created
- Q47486848- PIDapalooza
- Q47486856 - PIDapalooza 2016
- Q47486859 - PIDapalooza 2018
- Q47486939 - Palau de Congressos de Girona
- Identified issue with Scholia pages for publishers not being easily findable
- Subsequently resolved
- I took ~800 photographs, which are in the process of being added to Wikimedia Commons
- I made several improvements to OpenStreetMap, in the vicinity of the hotel/ conference venue
Figures in GBP.
- Ground travel, UK: 26.90
- Ground travel, Spain: 37.01
- Accommodation: 252.23
- Subsistence: 92
- Two days standard rate less 50% as breakfast/lunch provided = USD 71.25
- One day standard rate less 20% as breakfast provided = USD 57
(air travel was covered by the event hosts)
Amount left over
This was my first Travel and Participation Support grant. I am grateful to my endorsers for their kind words, and to the WMF grants team for their support, but very sad to see the scheme ending, which I believe is to the detriment of the movement.