This Wikimedia Participation Support request was funded in the fiscal year 2014-15. A report is available.
CIINATIC 2015 is an academic event focused on Information Technologies. Its participants are mainly university students, professors and researchers.
I saw the event as an opportunity to bring local academics closer to the Wikimedia movement. In order to achieve this, I was proposed by my University as a keynote speaker for the event, and I have been accepted both for the keynote and a workshop. Those activities will bring participants close to Wikipedia (and the Wikimedia projects) from a technical perspective, that of software development, a topic which most of the participants will be related to. Given the length of the talk, and the importance of giving a proper initial context, the talk will begin with a basic introduction to Wikipedia and the Wikimedia movement before exploring the technical aspects behind them.
Apart from the mentioned activities, I would also be a participant at the rest of the event.
Goal and expected impact
My main goal is to show participants that there are very distinct ways to contribute to the Wikimedia movement: the most common are related to the creation of content (e.g. writing or taking photos), but other (such as developing tools) can also be fun and useful.
Given the focus and kind of audience of the activities, I expect several potential benefits from them:
- Possible new Wikimedians, who would contribute to the projects in the common way (editors) or in technical activities (tools, bots, etc.).
- Possible academic research projects focused on Wikipedia or other Wikimedia projects.
- Possible new Wikimedians of Colombia User Group members.
- Travel (fuel, tolls): 108000 COP (USD 33)
- Accommodation & Food (2 nights): 208000 COP (USD 64)
- Conference fee: 180000 COP (USD 46)
- I don't need advance disbursement. However, I do need to know as soon as possible if the request is accepted or rejected so I can ask for alternative funding (e.g. in the University). In advance: sorry for writing the proposal this late!
- While this request is being made through the TPS portal (because of its nature), I'm making it on behalf of the Wikimedistas de Colombia User Group (endorsements below). Because of that, in case the request is accepted, we would appreciate if the funds are sent to the User Group's shared account.
- As a member of the users group "Wikimedistas de Colombia", I strongly support the participation of Racso in CIINATIC 2015. Baiji --> (Opinión) 04:33, 27 August 2015 (UTC)
- I'm also a member of Wikimedistas de Colombia and support the participation of Racso in this event. I think this is a good chance to present the wikimedia projects to people who could potentially join us and work with us. - Remux - Nunca Olvidaré, que me enamoré de la más hermosa flor. Ĉu mi povas helpi vin iel?