Welcome back from Wikimania 2018!
- Option 1: Shared Experience: What is one way you shared something from your experience with your community (either locally or globally), after the event?
- Add a link here to a blog post or newsletter you wrote about your participation afterwards, or to a meet-up you organized to share your experience with your local community.
Shortly after returning to Greece I wrote a post on my personal blog about something that happened at Wikimania 2018, albeit not related to the Wikimedia movement: as many people know, Greece is in a prolonged dispute about the name of a geographic territory in the north of the country. When I introduced myself to a casual gathering of Wikimedians in the hotel patio, they naturally asked to hear my side of the "Macedonia" story. In the company of knowledgeable, open-minded and unbiased individuals from countries faraway from Greece as India and nearby as FYROM (or Republic of Macedonia on English Wikipedia), we peacefully resolved the dispute and then celebrated with rakia from Skopje and ouzo from Tyrnavos :-)
The blog post is available here in Greek... it has however been successfully read on Google Translate by two non-Greek Wikimedians participating in the gathering. After reading it, Zana - my good friend from Skopje - said
"if only Wikimedians were decision-makers in politics, the world would be a better place".
How absolutely true...
- Option 3: New Creation: What was one useful outcome that was created at the event for the Wikimedia movement?
- Add a link to something new that was created as a result of your participation in this event (for example, you might link to a new tool that you and your co-participants worked on at the Hackathon, or to pages created in a workshop you participated in).
- Cape Town Water Crisis article created in Greek at the Water Sustainability Edit-a-thon
- Wikitherapy: the therapy approach I conceptualised in Mexico City (2015) and presented in Esino Lario (2016) was taken a wonderful step forward by my twice room-mate and good friend Andrea-Patricia Kleiman with her presentation in Cape Town. We met people from Germany to India who are interested in replicating the concept in their own settings. Andrea has started a dedicated "one-stop" page for everything Wikitherapy here on Meta. We can only hope that our success in helping patients develop skills and gain self-confidence by editing the Wikimedia projects will soon spread to more and more places!