Welcome back from Wikimania 2016!
- Italian Wikipedia / Wikidata
- Option 2: Learning Pattern: What is one useful learning pattern you can share with the Wikimedia movement?
- We were heavily involved in the programme, explaining to newbies and press what are the Wikimedia projects, how they work, what we actually do while editing, how (and why) the whole community does what we do... and also began to explore our newfound relation with OpenStreetMap, since Wikimedia Italia became the Italian chapter for OSM Foundation too. This is something we stressed a lot: working together with other projects to foster knowledge on several, different levels, and to show how those levels do interconnect among themselves.
- Option 3: New Creation: What was one useful outcome that was created at the event for the Wikimedia movement?
- We discussed a lot with several people about the possible integration of other non-Wikimedia projects (such as Vikidia and DbPedia, or at least their Italian versions) with Wikimedia Italia activities, from common projects to be discussed and developed to active financial patronage of such projects. We hope this projects to bring some more fruits! Also, we committed once again to organise new events through Iberocoop, especially those with a focus on gender gap.
- (Comment from 2018: while the latter proved to be a nice, but unfortunately not viable, idea, the former actually brought some fruits, since one of the Italian Vikidians is now a very active member of Wikimedia Italia, and there is a collaboration going on between WM-IT, Italian Wikiversity and Vikidia)
As always, we had lots of discussion with several groups of users and chapters - the most important being Iberocoop and Wikidata users, as always.
It was a very stressing edition for WM-IT Board (of which I was part at the moment), since one member was actively involved with the organisation of events, and the others (me included) gave a hand here and there to fill in the gaps (I also volunteered the very first night at reception, doing photocopies of ID's and such!). It's really hard for me to translate into words the wonderful sensation of being at Wikimania. It feels like being finally myself, in presence of people I love, respect and, sometimes, look up to. It's just... great. :)