Grants:TPS/Tedder/Legislative Data and Wikipedia Conference
|This Wikimedia Participation Support request was funded in the fiscal year 2012-13. A report is available.|
- User name
- User location (country)
- Los Angeles CA USA
- Event name
- Legislative Data and Wikipedia Conference
- Event Web site
- Event date(s)
- March 14-15
- Event location (city)
- Washington DC USA
- Amount requested (remember to specify currency!)
- USD $792
- -Pete F (talk) 23:03, 1 March 2013 (UTC)
All amounts in USD.
- Flight: $468 (LAX-DCA one-stop, March 13-March 17)
- Lodging: $324 (three nights sharing accommodation with a fellow participant, I'm personally paying for one extra night for recreation)
- Transportation & food: I will cover.
I have skills in creating and editing content on Wikipedia, as well as running bots for Wikipedia and software engineering outside of Wikipedia. I will be using the legislative XML to add an infobox or other generated content for Wikipedia pages in a way that is extensible by Wikipedians and bot creators.
I expect the majority of this will remain enwiki (not international or cross-language) as it will be specific to US laws.
Goal and Expected Impact
Wtihin a month of returning I'll have a reasonable amount of content on the EN wiki, either by pasting generated stubs or by running an approved bot. The code will be open-source (of course) on Github, I'll blog about the experience and create a participation report, and I'll publicize it on the EN wiki (perhaps with the Signpost).
I heartily endorse Ted's participation. (I should note that I am working with the convener of this meeting, so I'm not without bias.) Ted has the background needed for the event: a broad and deep understanding of Wikipedia. -Pete F (talk) 23:03, 1 March 2013 (UTC)