Welcome back from Wikimania 2014!
- Option 1: Shared Experience: What is one way you shared something from your experience with your community (either locally or globally), after the event?
- Wikimania 2014 was an important milestone to the Wikimedia movement in Brazil. Along to the recent WMF’s decision about the end of the Catalyst Program, the community members attending Wikimania, including me, decided to consolidate our plans of engaging more people on outreach activities in Brazil. Now we descry a good opportunity to bring our plans into reality.
- Following the discussions set at Wikimania, we will host the meetings about the “Future of the Wikimedia movement in Brazil” on August 30th and 31st, in São Paulo. It’s an opportunity to have the community and WMF at the same place to talk about our plans and how to come up with an organized community in the country after many years of instability.
- Wikimania 2014 was also an opportunity to bring one more time the Wikimedia projects to the Brazilian media. After the issue about anonymous making controversial edits from governmental computers, the media coverage about Wikipedia reached us at Wikimania, what lead to the publication of two reports in one of the most important newspapers in Brazil: the first, a deep report about Wikipedia Zero, and the second, an interview with me, featuring the motivations of a long-time contributor of Wikipedia.
- Regarding some lectures I attended during Wikimania, I did a brief report to my mates in Portuguese, with some comments and ideas.
Wikimania is definitely a good place to meet interesting people! This year, I could have enlightening talks with very experienced contributors or people with many similar interests inside or outside the Wikimedia movement. It’s mandatory to highlight the meetings with Asaf, Anasuya, Netha Hussein, Jan Eissfeldt, James Heilman, and Achal Prabhala. We also could have good talks with AffCom members and lots of fun with Iberocoop guys. Finally, meeting Brazilians in Wikimania is always a good opportunity to have constructive conversations.
I acknowledge WMF and the Scholarship Committee for accepting funding my participation again. It’s always an awesome opportunity to attend Wikimania and I believe that every year we get more mature inside the movement. Thank you for your support!