Grants:TPS/Wotancito/Encuentro Latinoamericano de Bibliotecarios, Archivistas y Museólogos/Report
This Wikimedia Participation Support report has been accepted by the Wikimedia Participation Support Committee.To see the original request, please visit Grants:TPS/Wotancito/Encuentro Latinoamericano de Bibliotecarios, Archivistas y Museólogos.
- Event name
- Encuentro Latinoamericano de Bibliotecarios, Archivistas y Museólogos
- Description of your participation
I took part in the Encuentro Latinoamericano de Bibliotecarios, Archivistas y Museólogos (Latin American Meeting of Librarians, Archivists and Museologists) with Osmar Valdebenito and Galileo Vidoni, held in Buenos Aires, Argentina. We talk about the agreements and GLAM activities that can be taken out with representatives of cultural organizations joined the meeting, ie museums, archives and libraries. To do this, we talk about the success stories we have in our countries, as the experience in Chile with the Museum of Memory and the Library of Congress, in Mexico with the Museo del Palacio de Bellas Artes (Palace of Fine Arts Museum), Museo Universitario del Chopo (University Museum of Chopo) and the projects we have in the future, as the agreement with the Comisión Nacional para el Conocimiento y Uso de la Biodiversidad (Conabio) and Casa-Museo Estudio Diego Rivera.
I took part as an assistant to the talks, which could make contacts with some speakers to work in future in my country and connect with other wikimedians in Venezuela, Chile and Argentina. In the recesses exchanged opinions about Wikimedia projects and how they can develop their dependencies. Many are interested in my experience as coordinator of Wiki Loves Monuments contest. Other programs that generated interest and contacts are Wikipedist in residence, edit-a-thons and mass donation of documents and images. Also, I talked with Evelyn Heidel, member of Via Libre Foundation, in order to make a free software based scanner with Wikipedia Student Clubs in Mexico at UNAM and UAM, with whom I work together with my chapter.
- What impact did your participation have on the Wikimedia Mission goals of Increased Reach, Increased Quality, Increased Credibility, Increased and Diversified Participation?
I made several contacts with institutions related to GLAM activities. We arranged appointments for planning activities, which will result in increased participation in Mexico and some countries that belong to Wikimedia Iberoconf initiative.
- Increased Scope: The meeting allowed us to share and explain the importance of Wikipedia and how can work with cultural institutions.
- Increased quality: Working with managers and experts from institutions the quality of articles of images and contents will increase
- Increased credibility: When we talk at institutions that have success stories with other institutions and other countries, are motivated to accept make agreements. When we go to a Mexican museum and they talk about what is done in Chile or Argentina, or elsewhere convinces, but having representatives of institutions of many countries in one place led several were interested at the same time.
- Detail of expenditures
- Flight MEX-EZE-MEX: $ 1260USD
- Accomodation: $ 270 USD
- Amount underspent/left-over (please specify currency)
- $ 30 USD.
In order to save the cost of a plane ticket that originally budgeted in 1157 USD, I stayed a few days longer, due for the ticket cost was almost 30 percent lower. Other fares available exceeded the amount requested. That decision meant to stay more days in Buenos Aires, and the cost of stay increased slightly, although I searched the cheapest option. I wonder if I need to return that difference or I can integrate the amount that is saved by flight.