- This is the official project report. There is also a detailed project page for this event.
- The goal of this project is to allow Wikimedia, through Wikimedia Philippines, to engage professionals and experts to participate in Wikimedia-related projects. It also aims to partner with NSCB, since Wikipedia articles relating to Philippine places (i.e. provinces, municipalities and cities) rely on NSCB data.
Description of actual activities:
- Wikimedia Philippines participated in the 11th National Convention on Statistics (NCS), a triennial event organized by the Philippines' National Statistical Coordination Board (NSCB), as an exhibitor and as delegates. The event, held on October 4 and 5, 2010 at the EDSA Shangrila Hotel, Mandaluyong City, aimed to elicit cooperation and support from statisticians and professionals from various sectors towards a more responsive statistical system. As an exhibitor, this event can be a vehicle to reach out to professionals and experts to participate on Wikimedia-related projects and how can they help on improving Wikipedia articles, specifically regarding statistical information and the LGU Project. As delegates, chapter members can learn from experts about statistical subjects. The event is also a way to partner with NSCB, the government agency that has an authority on coordination of Philippine statistical information and analysis. Total number of participants in the conventions is around 1,100+ persons.
- Actual activities
- Day 1, October 4
- Present: Jojit Ballesteros, Dong Ballesteros, Felix Fajardo, Butch Bustria, Josh Lim
- Before the event started, setting up the booth was finished after getting permission from EDSA Sharingla Hotel management. Projector was used to show Wikimedia Foundation videos. The HD Media Player of Butch Bustria was used instead of a laptop.
- Wikipedia 0.5 CDs were given away to lucky visitors of the booth. Some CDs were also given to prominent personalities such as Economist Winnie Monsod, Albay Governor Joey Salceda and NSCB Secretary General Romulo Virola. There are some visitors who asked if we WMPH can be invited for a talk at their organization. Butch talked to Joey Salceda regarding the LGU project.
- There were about 80+ people signed in the electronic guestbook.
- After the event, WMPH members talked about reviving the LGU project in Wikipedia.
- Day 2, October 5
- Present: Jojit Ballesteros, Dong Ballesteros, Felix Fajardo, Butch Bustria, Roel Balingit
- Jojit Ballesteros was able to talk to Dr. Melchor Magramo, Research Director of John B. Lacson Foundation Maritime University, Iloilo City. They are interested in contributing to Wikimedia projects, specifically the expansion of the Hiligaynon Wikipedia. They also wanted WMPH to hold a workshop at their University.
- Remaining CDs were given away to other NSCB employees. The electronic guestbook had 90+ entries. According to organizers, the Wikipedia booth is the most visited booth among other exhibitors.
What lessons were learned that could help others succeed in similar projects?
- What worked in the event
- Having a tarpaulin stand worked.
- Well organized booth
- Talking with people built networks
- Professionals and prominent people were happy about the Wikipedia 0.5 CDs, so, those are ideal giveaways.
- There are always people on the booth and they were able to answer questions of visitors.
- Felix Fajardo is effective as a volunteer.
- Points of improvement
- A manual logbook is more effective. We can have two logbooks in the future, one manual and other electronic.
- Do not expect too much on a volunteer. It just gives undue pressure to them. Do not expect the volunteer to know everything. Even regular members does not have all the answers to the visitors' questions. The important thing is to have polite conversation with visitors.
- Better estimation, design and management of brochures.
- Better design of the tarpaulin.
- Delegates should have been present all times during the convention.
- What should be removed
- Nothing should be removed. We have to just improve the things that we are doing.
- What should be retained
- Good relationship with NSCB. NSCB can help Wikimedia Philippines on the LGU project.
- Felix is commendable as a volunteer
What impact did the project have on WMF mission goals of Increased Reach, Increased Quality, Increased Credibility, Increased and Diversified Participation?
- Quantitatively, the project did not meet the project goals based on the parameters set on the grant proposal. The 60% of paraphernalia has not been distributed during the convention. There is no indication that NCS resulted to having new editors on Wikipedia, although, there is at least one professional, Dr. Magramo, who is interested in contributing to the Hiligaynon Wikipedia.
- Qualitatively, it’s hard to tell if the project was able to build a strong support that will enable WMPH to roll out future programs outside Manila. Although, there are networks built on some organizations including NSCB. Meeting with those organizations should be set.
Detail of expenditures:
- Exhibitor's booth
Particulars Receipt Reference Amount (PHP) Remarks Booth rental O.R. 6536511 (Page 1/5) 8,000.00 Total 8,000.00
- Promotional materials
Particulars Receipt Reference Amount (PHP) Remarks Supplies for brochure printing O.R. 07319 (Page 2/5) 601.50 Personal equipment used Ink cartridge refilling for brochure printing O.R. 0311 (Page 3/5) 1,260.00 Total 1,861.50
- Convention fee
Particulars Receipt Reference Amount (PHP) Remarks Convention fee of 3 delegates (PHP 6,200.00/pax) O.R. 6536511 (Page 1/5) 18,600.00 Delegates: Joseph Ballesteros, Roman Bustria Jr., James Joshua Lim Total 18,600.00
- Allowance of delegates/volunteer
Particulars Receipt Reference Amount (PHP) Remarks Staff & delegates' allowance Roman Bustria, Jr. Petty cash 900.00 Roel Balingit Petty cash 50.00 2 day Volunteer's stipend & allowance Tax & Social Security ID (Page 4–5/5) 1,600.00 Volunteer: Felix Fajardo Total 2,550.00
Particulars Receipt Reference Amount (PHP) Remarks Transportation expenses Petty cash 232.00 Total 232.00
Actual Cost in USD
($1.00 = ₱45.18)
Remarks Exhibitor's booth 9,000.00 8,000.00 177.07 Promotional materials 13,500.00 1,861.50 41.20 Convention fee of delegates 27,000.00 18,600.00 411.69 Allowance of delegates/volunteer 4,500.00 2,550.00 56.44 Miscellaneous 0.00 232.00 5.14 Total 54,000.00 31,243.50 691.54
Amount underspent in US Dollars:
- Remainder of the amount allocated for the project is PHP 22,756.50 (USD 503.69).
Will you be requesting re-allocation of remaining grant funding?
- Yes, we are requesting to re-allocate remaining grant funds to future projects of Wikimedia Philippines, such as Wikipedia Academy/Caravan and Wikipedia Takes the City.