Grants:PEG/WM UA/Chapter startup/Report
Did you comply with the requirements specified by WMF in the grant agreement?
In 2009 our efforts was concentrated on official legalisation of Wikimedia Ukraina and opening Bank account.
In 2010-2011 our activities was
Popularisation and contacts with Mass-media, including:
- Press-conferences, the first one — in April, 2010.
- Appearance in radio and TV programs, first one — on Ukrainian radio in July 2010.
- Press-releases, including related to achievement of 200K, 250К and 300К articles in Ukrainian Wikipedia, 10th anniversary of Wikipedia and 8th anniversary of Ukrainian-language Wikipedia.
Workshops, Conferences, and other meetings:
- Meetup related to 10th anniversary of Wikipedia
- 4 Workshops, among them — 3 in Kyiv university and 1 in Lviv music academy.
- Wiki-conference in Lviv.
- Wiki-expeditions in Kyiv, Zhytomyr and Vinnica districts. About 1000 photos uploaded to Commons, a lot of articles improved.
- French autumn — more than 500 new articles related to France are written and a lot of articles improved (see category).
- Writing about charity- more than 100 new articles related to charity are written and a lot of articles improved (see category).
Projects aimed to make the content free
- Collaboration with The higher school academy of sciences of Ukraine, 228 biographies of Ukrainian scientists published under free license in uk-language Wikipedia.
- Project "World classic in Ukrainian" — the opera «Le faucon» («Сокіл») by D. Bortniansky with Ukrainian-language libretto under free license is published in Wikisource, a publication on paper is expected on March, 2012.
Project goal and measures of success
- to finish the WM Ukraine legalization — done.
- to build the conditions for involving people to join Wikimedia movement — first steps was successful, but we need to continue our activity to improve our results.
Measures of success
The project mostly achieved our measures of success. Firstly, we finished a legalisation of Wikimedia Ukraine. Secondly, did a great job for for involving people to join Wikimedia movement which makes considerable results. As it could be seen in this chart uk-language Wikipedia had a remarkable gain of Page Views. Also this chart shows a growth curve of contributors to Ukrainian Wikipedia.
In the same time the amount of active wikipedians in uk-language Wikipedia is not as large as it is desirable. This fact expects more and more promoting actions and projects from us nearest time.
What lessons were learned that may help others succeed in similar projects?
One of the main lessons could be expressed in famous words «Be bold». Some years ago it was difficult to imagine that such things as wiki-conference or wiki-expeditions are possible in Ukraine, as well as it was unbelievable that such serious institution as The higher school academy of sciences of Ukraine could collaborate with us and permit to publish its content under free lessons. However it is possible. The only things required is to be bold and to believe in our success of Wikimedia movement.
What impact did the project have on WMF mission goals of Increased Reach, Increased Quality, Increased Credibility, Increased and Diversified Participation?
During last years uk-language Wikipedia indicate good results in a List_of_Wikipedias_by_sample_of_articles. Attention of Ukrainian scientists, such as Grinchenko (see "Wikipedia" as part of Culture Information Society) or Chirkov (see Ukrainiznavstvo (Ukrainian studies) and Wikapedia: results and interaction perspectives) allows to conclude that Wikipedia gains the trust as a perspective encyclopaedic resource. On the other hand the content of uk-language project still need a lot of improvements. This need demands forthcoming actions aimed to involve highly-educated people to improve projects.
Reporting and documentation of expenditures
Did you send WMF documentation of all expenses paid for with grant funds?
No. The documentation of all expenses is kept in WM UA Executive Director Office. All invoices, receipts, bills etc were checked by WM UA Auditing Committee. The Auditing Commitee Report was approved by WM UA General Meeting on December 17, 2011 and published.
Details of expenditures:
- Public reporting — 9000,00 UAH (USD 1125)
- Bank and taxes — 4913,28 UAH (UDS 614)
- State registration — 3200,00 UAH (UDS 400)
- Property acquisition:
- Projector and Screen — 7960,00 UAH (UDS 995)
- «Spider» Baners — 1697,60 UAH (USD 212)
- Book Forum and Conference
- Participation in Forum — 4914,50 UAH (USD 614)
- Transport for participants — 4823,07 UAH (USD 603)
- Accommodations — 330,18 UAH (USD 41)
- Meals — 250 UAH (USD 31)
- Wikiexpeditions — 1598,90 UAH (USD 200)
- Press-conferences — 2000,00 UAH (USD 250)
- Publishing (Polygraphy) — 930 UAH (UDS 116)
- Toner Сartridge — 680 UAH (USD 85)
Total expenditures: USD 5286
Remaining grant funding 6400 - 5286 = USD 1114
Will you be requesting re-allocation of remaining grant funding?
- Yes, 8912 UAH (USD 1114) for publication opera «Le faucon» by Bortniansky with M.Strikha's libretto within the project "World classic in Ukrainian" (under the CC BY-SA licenese) according to decision of the General Meeting № 3 (see "Публікація Світової класики українською")
Will you be returning unused funds to the Wikimedia Foundation?
Will you be requesting an extension or were you granted an extension?
Please link to related grant proposals here: