Compliance and completion
- Did you comply with the requirements specified by WMF in the grant agreement?
- Answer YES or NO.
- Is your project completed?
- Answer YES or NO.
- Did you use any of the grant funds?
- Answer YES or NO.
Activities and lessons learned
This section describes what the grantee did, and what the grantee learned from implementing the project. This section should be useful to others implementing similar projects and is an opportunity for the grantee to reflect on the project's performance.
- Provide a detailed list of activities performed to complete this project, descriptions of these activities, and the amount of time spent on each activity. This section should also include a list of participants, or a link to pictures, blog posts, or videos from the project or event.
Before the grant period (December - April)
- The idea of the contest was approved by the board and community (in Ukrainian). Wiki project was organized (in Ukrainian);
- An initial press release was issued and published on WMF blog;
- The website of the contest was established;
- Media statements were made during February and March;
- The lists of the objects were obtained - 7384 objects in total;
- The bot for the convertation was developed and the lists of objects were created in Wikipedia. In fact, this is a unique free-license database of Ukraine’s Natural Heritage;
- A presentation/round table on 10 April was organized (video available here), and more media statements were made during April (on the launching of the contest). Official contest rules and regulations were approved;
- The contest itself was launched on 15 April;
- After the first week of the contest it was presented at the conference in Milan to the community (See 'WLE presentation' and Wikimedia Conference presentation);
- The board decision to submit a grant application was issued on April, 24.
During the grant period (May - June)
- The contest website was regularly updated with news during the contest;
- All our partners and jury members were announced by mid-May;
- The contest officially closed on 15 May;
- An Offline Jury Meeting was organized on 25 May. The main purpose was selection of the winning photographs and deciding on the nominations;
- The results were published at the end of May. The Top 12 photos' authors were awarded:
The number of monuments pictured is really important. Thus the participants that have uploaded the pictures of different monuments were awarded as well:
- Haidamac (Cherkasy) — 262 objects;
- Denis Vitchenko (Kharkiv) — 161 objects;
- Kiyanka (Kiev) — 110 objects;
- RBohdan (Lviv) — 86 objects;
- Revontulet (Kiev) — 64 objects.
(See Wiki Loves Earth Awards Ceremony (in Ukrainian)).
- The bot to insert pictures in the lists was developed (randomly chosen, by ID);
- The contest logo and ordering of printing materials was done;
- Wiki Loves Earth Awards Ceremony was organized. We had planned to held it on World Environment Day on 5 June 2013, but it was a working day and not very convenient for people to attend. Thus the ceremony was held on Sunday, 9 June:
- The info about the event was published in June;
- The prizes were sent by post to those, who were not able to come in person.
After the grant period (June - August)
- An exposition of the picture-winners was organized by one of our partners (KPMG Ukraine);
- Souvenirs (calendars, postcards etc.) with best photos of Wiki Love Earth were received and distributed both among contest participants and partners and for contest promotion.
Still to be done
- Categorization of the pictures uploaded is to be done;
- Inserting pictures into articles, maybe organizing a kind of "thematic week" would be a good idea;
- Promotion of the contest, so that more people know and take part in it (the contest was ranked as the 2nd coolest projects of Wikimedia Chapters at Wikimania 2013);
- Spreading the idea of the contest among other chapters, preparing a post to be published on WMF blog;
- The logo contest is to be organized.
- What lessons were learned that may help others succeed in similar projects? Consider the following questions and respond with 1 - 2 paragraphs.
- What went well?
- The lists of the natural monuments were obtained and organized as a database;
- A great photo contest was organized - lots of people took part in it, and lots of nice photos were uploaded;
- Useful bots were developed, and this experience will do us a favour in the upcoming Wiki Loves Monuments;
- The Award Ceremony was organized, media coverage was not bad;
- New partners joined, and we hope to continue working with them;
- An exposition was organized;
- This picture was nominated as a featured one and it was on the main page on 8 August;
- A better teamwork shall be here for the WLM 2013, as some vital experience was gained by every member of the OC;
- It is a very good idea to have the author of the logo to give the permission to use the logo for the contest needs without mentioning him or her. It does help.
- What did not go well?
- The lack of coordination was greatly felt. There was no proper oversight over all the steps, and the volunteers worked as they pleased sometimes. Thus there were some major mishaps (a great delay in funding, for example, thus the volunteers from the organizing committee were to use their own money to buy the prizes and publish the postcards and calendars, have paper plates and cups). The responsibility is entirely our own, as WFM has given us the clear instructions about the payment procedures, we were the ones not complying with them on time. The rights and responsibilities are to be defined clearly and on time (not 'someone will do it' and 'in time');
- The lack of transparency and openness of the decision-making process was greatly felt as well. Some decisions were made only by the project lead and the executive director, and some were made under the pressure to respect the deadline (with less OC members participating in discussion, leading even into thinking that some personal gain was involved). We had some long and heated discussions over these matters afterwards, and it did us good. To resolve this, we tried to make sure that OC members know plans of each of their colleagues. An open logo contest is also planned (akin to the WLM one).
- What would you do differently if you planned a similar project?
- Right before the start of the photo contest, we had a thought that it would be great to have a writing-articles-along contest at the same time. It would probably be a separate nomination of the contest with its own prizes (it is always nice to see a picture used). But it was a bit too much to change the scheme, and this idea would be useful for the next time.
Project goal and measures of success
This section should reference the project goals and measures of success described in the approved grant submission. See Grants:PEG/WM UA/Wiki Loves Earth to review the goals and metrics listed in the approved submission.
- Provide the project goal here.
- The goal of the photo contest was to collect and publish under the CC-BY-SA 3.0 license pictures of Ukraine’s Natural Heritage sites, landscapes and ornamental gardens in order to illustrate articles on Wikipedia and other Wikiprojects (Wikivoyage, Wikinews, Wikiquote etc.). The idea is pretty much the same as Wiki Loves Monuments contest, but natural monuments are the main concern here.
- Did you achieve your project goal? How do you know your goal was achieved? Please answer in 1 - 2 paragraphs.
- Yes. There were 11,736 picture entries at the competition, uploaded from 15 April to 15 May 2013. 1104 natural monuments of Ukraine (out of listed 7384) were photographed and 365 people took part in the contest. The illustrating part is to be done still - less than 1% of the photos are used, summer time is not the best time for volunteers' activity, and having WLM coming we have our hands full, but we are developing instruments to help us with these tasks (mostly categorizing and using pictures). And as the tasks are akin for the contests, we are going to use them for WLM and WLE photos as soon as they are ready.
Measures of success
- List the measures of success exactly as provided in the approved grant submission, and evaluate your project according to each measure listed there.
- number of participants - 365;
- number of illustrations uploaded to Wikimedia Commons - 11736;
- number of natural monuments pictured - 1104
- number of publications - 170;
- number of newly ilustrated articles about the natural heritage sites - 172;
- number of newly registered editors - 248 (68% among all participants), who took 4727 images (40%) of 655 distinct natural monuments (60%). 376 distinct natural monuments (34%) were photographed only by newly registered editors.
- Provide an overall assessment of how your project went according to these measures.
- It was expected to have more pictures used in the articles by this time, but this problem is a kind of a technical one. Though it demonstrates that the idea of having an article contest during or not long after the photo contest is worth trying. Maybe it is to be tried this autumn, following WLM.
- If you were to plan a similar project, would you measure it differently? If yes, please explain how.
- The project is not to be finished with the Awards Ceremony. An exposition or exhibition is to be made. Or some kind of post activities. It would be good to have more journalists coming to the Awards Ceremony, as the media coverage was not enough in June. Maybe a press-conference is to be planned.
This section ties this project to Wikimedia's broader goals, and shows what the project accomplished.
- What impact did this project have on WMF's mission and the strategic goals? Please answer in 1 -2 paragraphs and include specific measures of impact such as the number of readers or editors reached by a particular project, or the number of articles edited or improved.
- Stabilize infrastructure
- Increase participation
- Improve quality
- Increase reach
- Encourage innovation
- This project helped to increase:
- reach and participation (more people contributed to Wikimedia Commons directly (the registration is required to take part) and to the other Wikiprojects via pictures uploaded) - 248 newly registered editors, most of them we hope to engage in WLM 2013;
- quality (more free pictures to illustrate the articles with) - we have pictures of 1104 objects;
- credibility (more trust in our projects, f. ex., Wikipedia and Wikivoyage) - as these contests draw attention of new users mostly (68% among all participants in WLE), organizing an article writing contest may be desirable;
- organizational maturity and effectiveness (getting ready WLM 2013 contest, we believe that other chapters may join in) - Wiki Loves Earth 2014;
- financial sustainability (some new business contacts were established) - new partners were found.
Reporting and documentation of expenditures
This section describes the grant's use of funds
- Did you send documentation of all expenses paid with grant funds to grants at wikimedia dot org, according to the guidelines here? Answer "Yes" or "No".
- The documents will be sent ASAP.
- Please list all project expenses in a table here, with descriptions and dates. Review the instructions here.
- These expenses should be listed in the same format as the budget table in your approved submission so that anyone reading this report may be able to easily compare budgeted vs. actual expenses.
- Note that variances in the project budget over 10% per expense category must be approved in advance by WMF Grants Program staff. For all other variances, please provide an explanation in the table below.
- UAH 813.8 per US$ 100.0 (the exchange rate on 26 June 2013). The official rate is (and was) 7.993, but the real one is 8.138. Thus instead of getting 15950.03 UAH (planned), we got 16239.38 UAH. As 15626.36 UAH were spent, we have at the moment 613.02 UAH left (75.33 USD).
|Number||Category||Item description||Unit||Number of units||Actual cost per unit in UAH||Actual cost per unit in USD||Actual total in UAH||Actual total in USD||Budgeted total in USD (WFM)||Notes|
|1||Main Prizes||Per (main) nomination / per place||1||7102.17||872.72||7102.17||872.72||600.00||
|2||Hall Rent||Hall Rent for the Awards Ceremony||Per hour||3||294.33||36.17||882.98||108.50||150||We were able to save a bit on this line, thanks to our good partnership with Master Klass|
|3||Food & Beverages||Stand-up party||Per person||30||10.64||1.31||319.10||39.21||300.00||The Food & Beverages were bought with cash, donated by Vadym Stolar. As no documents were preserved, we show here only the documented expenses on this line. The line with prizes is bigger because of that|
|4||Travel and post expenses||Two way train/bus tickets or post expenses||Per person||10||184.47||22.67||1844.69||226.68||200.00||It was impossible to predict the expenses here, as we couldn't possibly know from what part of Ukraine the winners will be coming. And we didn't want to include here too much, just to be safe while planning the grant submission - it seems wrong|
|5||Additional Prizes & Awards||Souvenirs, the contest logo||Per event||1||1751.06||215.17||1751.06||215.17||250.00||We have paid for the contest logo (851.06 UAH), 100 pens (665 UAH) and for the certificates (235.00 UAH)|
|6||Publishing||Per 100 postcard set (12 pictures each) /
per 100 wall calendar (a poster)
|7||Bank fees and exchange gain/loss||Exchange fees, Bank Account fees and exchange gain/loss||Per project||1||133.36||16.39||133.36||16.39||37.50|
|8||http://wle.org.ua website support||Domain name registration and website hosting||Per year||1||-||-||-||-||80.00|
|9||Technical support||List conversion computer program and uploading tools development||Per hour||40.00||-||-||-||-||-|
|Number||Category||Item description||Unit||Number of units||Actual cost per unit in UAH||Actual cost per unit in USD||Actual total in UAH||Actual total in USD||Budgeted total in USD (other sources)||Notes|
||Per (main) nomination / per place||1||
|2||Hall Rent||Hall Rent for the Awards Ceremony||Per hour||-||-||-||-||-||-|
|3||Food & Beverages||Stand-up party
Off line jury meeting
|4||Travel for the off line jury meeting||Two way train/bus tickets||Per person||1||200.50||24.64||401.00||49.28||-|
|5||Additional Prizes & Awards||Souvenirs, the contest logo||Per event||1||-||-||-||-||-|
|6||Publishing||Per 100 postcard set (10 pictures each) /
per 100 wall calendar (a poster)
|7||Bank fees and exchange gain/loss||Exchange fees, Bank Account fees and exchange gain/loss||Per project||1||-||-||-||-||-|
|8||http://wle.org.ua website support||Domain name registration and website hosting||Per year||1||160.00||19.66||160.00||19.66||20.00|
|9||Technical support||List conversion computer program and uploading tools development||Per hour||40.00||40.69||5.00||1627.60||200.00||200.00|
- Total project budget (from your approved grant submission)
- USD 2815.50
- Total amount requested from WMF (from your approved grant submission, this total will be the same as the total project budget if the WMF grant is your only funding source)
- USD 1995.50
- Total amount spent on this project (this total should be the total calculated from the table above)
- USD 3156.17
- Total amount of WMF grant funds spent on this project (this total will be the same as the total amount spent if the WMF grant is your only funding source)
- USD 1920.17
- Are there additional sources of revenue that funded any part of this project? List them here.
- Please see the separate budget for this. We had more partners, than it was anticipated:
- National Society of Regional Ethnographers of Ukraine - information support;
- National Ecological Centre of Ukraine (NECU) - information support;
- National Society of Photo Artists of Ukraine (NSPAU) - information support;
- Prosvita was providing books;
- Vadym Stolar has donated 500 USD,
- KPMG-Ukraine has donated 2000 UAH, information support and helped to establish connections with other partners;
- Nature of Ukraine - information support;
- Fashion House Rito - the main prize vyshyvanka;
- Regionews - media coverage, the first press-conference was held at their place for free
- Sanoma Media Ukraine - the prizes;
- Konfael - the prizes (sweets);
- Master Klass - hall rent discount;
- ASSA - books;
- OKI - photo printing;
- IBCentre (Innovative Business Centre) - solar batteries;
- Oleksii Mustafin - books;
- Green Office - discount on postcards and calendars design.
- Are there any grant funds remaining?
- Answer YES or NO.
- Please list the total amount (specify currency) remaining here. (This is the amount you did not use, or the amount you still have after completing your grant.)
- 75.33 USD
- If funds are remaining they must be returned to WMF, reallocated to mission-aligned activities, or applied to another approved grant.
- Please state here if you intend to return unused funds to WMF, submit a request for reallocation, or submit a new grant request, and then follow the instructions on your approved grant submission.
- We would like the remaining funds to be reallocated to this grant application.
- We still need some lists / updates, as it is always the matter, but we do hope to have them in time for the new contest
- It sounds like this: As the author of the logo I declare that there is no need to use or indicate the link to the license when using the logo in relation to the WLE contest. You may copy, modify, distribute and perform the work, even for commercial purposes, all without asking permission and without mentioning my name (or my work as the source of your devative work(s))
- the rest of the OC found out that the day of the Awards Ceremony was changed from the contest website, for example, no discussion was started before
- The initial logo of the contest was developed by user:antanana, as a volunteer, as an example. It was done on a whim and it was never intended to be used as a real logo - it was no good for printing purposes, for example. While preparing a grant application, I have asked a few people how much would cost making the logo look good, the answer was 100-150 USD. Finishing the logo was included into the "Additional Prizes & Awards" budget line. Because of the money issues, we started looking for the designers really late, with work needed to be done really quickly, as the Awards Ceremony was approaching and publishing was to be done in time for the winners to get the materials. Only one designer was available, and the choice was really limited
- There were 1104 natural monuments pictured, thus articles are to be created to use the photos. At the moment the commons category are to be assigned, like this . But it will require some help from the community
- We have the documents to back up the cost of prizes, so we include them in here
- Approximately, judging from the experience and prices