Grants:PEG/WM US-NYC/Internship Program 2/Report
Edit This City!
Project Goal: To expand Wikimedia NYC's capacity for working in the real world and interacting with local institutions though a student internship program.
A successor to Grants:WM US-NYC/Internship Program 1/Report.
Description of actual activities:
- A. Dittakavi. Developed deep and ongoing relationships with the Connecting NYC initiative and neighborhood community groups.
- These relationships sparked the birth of NYCwiki.org as a joint project between Wikimedia NYC, Connecting NYC & Internet Society NY, including the NYCwiki Neighborhoods Project, and NYChowto with the Manhattan Borough President's Speak Up NY initiative. NYCwiki also proved an impetus to the initial development of Free Culture Alliance NYC.
What lessons were learned that could help others succeed in similar projects?
- A. Dittakavi opened up a broad new avenue for cooperation with community and local government groups, but the full grassroots potential of NYCwiki is still largely unrealized.
What impact did the project have on WMF mission goals of Increased Reach, Increased Quality, Increased Credibility, Increased and Diversified Participation?
- The project increased and diversified participation and reach through outreach to local neighborhood activists of a wide range of ethnicity, gender, age and tech knowledge. It solidified credibility through our first active relationship with city government, and its connections among neighborhood activists; the largely unrealized potential of nurturing quality contributions from this powerful neighborhood network remains. The project also fostered the development of the Free Culture Alliance NYC with ISOC-NY, and student and community groups, that has led, among other things, to a Harlem neighborhood tech activist helping us develop our regular conference space at NYU's ITP program.
Detail of expenditures:
- A. Dittakavi: $1000 - stipend for Fall 2009 & Spring 2010
Amount underspent in US Dollars:
Will you be requesting re-allocation of remaining grant funding?